Expired

broke retainer

Found 4th Aug 2014
After having braces on for nearly 3 years I have to wear my retainer every night. The other night I was in bed and I bit together and heard my retainer crack. It's cracked on the bottom left hand side. I rang the orthodontics where I got my braces done and because its been just over a year Since I had them off they can't do anything and they told me to ring my dentist. So I rang my dentist and they want £115 just to replace the bottom retainer. Is there anywhere I could go to get it done cheaper because I don't have that sort of money to spend. Also I read online that people have glued there's and its worked fine, could I do this as its only cracked on the back bit or will this cause more trouble? Thanks if anyone can help.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

How long are you meant to wear a retainer for?

I don't think I wore mine for over a year.

I am probably going to regret posting this and I urge you to see a professional but please don't try and use glue I dread to think what that would do to you, I know they do have retainers on Amazon - weird thing to have but again I think you need to get it done properly the Amazon ones are here http://www.amazon.co.uk/denLAB-Direct®-Orthodontic-Dental-Retainer/dp/B00BSR1YHC/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1407163673&sr=1-1&keywords=Retainer+lower my concern would be that with something like this if it isn't right then the past 3 years effort would have been wasted, I am only sharing the link because I was surprised when I saw them on Amazon a while ago when looking for a toothbrush! Good luck it will be worth it in the end - my eldest son has braces so I know what you have been through

Banned

It might be because I'm under 18 but I paid £27 for a replacement with some NHS contribution.

I believe the full price was £60 so it might be worth ringing around your local practises.

If not, I would go for the product on Amazon.

Either way, don't go without your retainer for too long, and continue wearing your broken retainer, if at all possible

Fairyfeet1964

I am probably going to regret posting this and I urge you to see a … I am probably going to regret posting this and I urge you to see a professional but please don't try and use glue I dread to think what that would do to you, I know they do have retainers on Amazon - weird thing to have but again I think you need to get it done properly the Amazon ones are here http://www.amazon.co.uk/denLAB-Direct®-Orthodontic-Dental-Retainer/dp/B00BSR1YHC/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1407163673&sr=1-1&keywords=Retainer+lower my concern would be that with something like this if it isn't right then the past 3 years effort would have been wasted, I am only sharing the link because I was surprised when I saw them on Amazon a while ago when looking for a toothbrush! Good luck it will be worth it in the end - my eldest son has braces so I know what you have been through

Didn't even know you could do this (via Amazon), thanks Fairyfeet1964, will be useful for family members.

PS: Do you know anywhere which does wired retainers that cheap??? Like the one below:

http://www.ortho-centre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Hawley-Retainer.jpg

Transformers

Didn't even know you could do this (via Amazon), thanks Fairyfeet1964, … Didn't even know you could do this (via Amazon), thanks Fairyfeet1964, will be useful for family members. :)PS: Do you know anywhere which does wired retainers that cheap??? Like the one below:

Sorry got no idea on that one - only came across that one by accident

Is the wire cracked or just the acrylic part? If it's just the acrylic and it can be joined together easily, go direct to a dental lab (Google search a local one) they will repair it for £30 or so

If its cracked, is that not classed as poor quality therefore they have to replace? if you explain that its not your fault, that they are not strong enough, maybe they will do it free. (worth a shot imo).
My daughter has retainers (after having braces), they need to be worn for a long time after braces are removed. Then reduce by 1 night per week, once every 6 months, until they're off. We were told the slower she stops wearing them, the more chance of her teeth staying in place. It would be a shame to undo what has been done.
I would not recommend glue, this could get into your system.

Original Poster

zaniby

Is the wire cracked or just the acrylic part? If it's just the acrylic … Is the wire cracked or just the acrylic part? If it's just the acrylic and it can be joined together easily, go direct to a dental lab (Google search a local one) they will repair it for £30 or so

its not the wired one its the plastic type one

Original Poster

teh arn

How long are you meant to wear a retainer for? I don't think I wore mine … How long are you meant to wear a retainer for? I don't think I wore mine for over a year.

not too sure, dont want to stop wearing it as im scared my teeth will move back.

Original Poster

hukdealz

It might be because I'm under 18 but I paid £27 for a replacement with … It might be because I'm under 18 but I paid £27 for a replacement with some NHS contribution.I believe the full price was £60 so it might be worth ringing around your local practises. If not, I would go for the product on Amazon.Either way, don't go without your retainer for too long, and continue wearing your broken retainer, if at all possible

few months after i had mine off the top retainer broke and they repaired it for free on the nhs and I was 19. Where did you get quoted £60 on the nhs or privite ?

Original Poster

hocka

If its cracked, is that not classed as poor quality therefore they have … If its cracked, is that not classed as poor quality therefore they have to replace? if you explain that its not your fault, that they are not strong enough, maybe they will do it free. (worth a shot imo).My daughter has retainers (after having braces), they need to be worn for a long time after braces are removed. Then reduce by 1 night per week, once every 6 months, until they're off. We were told the slower she stops wearing them, the more chance of her teeth staying in place. It would be a shame to undo what has been done.I would not recommend glue, this could get into your system.

Not long after I had the retainers the top one broke so they're obviously not made to last, unless i was doing something wrong but i doubt it.

Original Poster

Fairyfeet1964

I am probably going to regret posting this and I urge you to see a … I am probably going to regret posting this and I urge you to see a professional but please don't try and use glue I dread to think what that would do to you, I know they do have retainers on Amazon - weird thing to have but again I think you need to get it done properly the Amazon ones are here http://www.amazon.co.uk/denLAB-Direct®-Orthodontic-Dental-Retainer/dp/B00BSR1YHC/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1407163673&sr=1-1&keywords=Retainer+lower my concern would be that with something like this if it isn't right then the past 3 years effort would have been wasted, I am only sharing the link because I was surprised when I saw them on Amazon a while ago when looking for a toothbrush! Good luck it will be worth it in the end - my eldest son has braces so I know what you have been through

Wow, this is exactly what they do at the denist! Reading some of the reviews it seems good. Going to ring around some places but if not I think its going to be this one. Thanks alot!

Banned

lisajohnsonxxx

few months after i had mine off the top retainer broke and they repaired … few months after i had mine off the top retainer broke and they repaired it for free on the nhs and I was 19. Where did you get quoted £60 on the nhs or privite ?

£60 was at an NHS dental practise

oh, I didn't know you could get it for free. I'll ask my dentist because my top one has a small crack in it.

Original Poster

I've just found this does anyone know how i would go about getting it for this price? thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions