Broken freezer.

Found 1st Aug
Hi, i have a miele fridge/freezer which costs over 900. i also had a 5 year warranty. But the freezer stopped working just after the 5 years. i then phoned miele up and they said they would send a repair man who would charge 150 just for labour without the cost of fixing it.
i decided to buy a chest freezer instead for about 60.
2 years later i am very annoyed with my kitchen as it feels so cramped. i want to have only 1 fridge freezer and want to move the chest freezer (either get rid of it or move it to the garage).
I still use the fridge section of the fridge-freezer.
Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to find someone privately to fix my freezer? Any estimated costs? where i could find someone? would it just be easier to buy a new fridge/freezer? (i don't have 900) to spend anymore. i spent so much relying on the fact that most miele products don't break. but was proved wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Toptrumpet38 m ago

So your fridge freezer is now 7 years old. I would be looking to replace …So your fridge freezer is now 7 years old. I would be looking to replace it.

Mine is 8 years old and still going strong and I paid £250.00 for it. For £900.00 I would like to be buried with the fridge.
21 Comments
Find a good small repairer and take it to them rather than calling them out. They should only charge you something under £20 to tell you whats wrong and how much to repair. Harrison Domestic in Kenilworth (I am a customer only) have done this for me before now.

Apart from washing machines, Miele really are not worth it (and I speak as someone with a kitchen full of Miele kit)
Without knowing why it had stopped working it is impossible to give an accurate guesstimate. A freezer consists of few working components, a compressor and a thermostat. A thermostat is cheap, a compressor is more expensive .The other common fault is a gas leak (which can be checked by a refrigeration engineer quite quickly). Get someone in to give you a quote, ask friends for a recommendation rather than pull a name out of the papers - too many shysters around.
What was the original fault with the freezer ? Did you investigate it yourself ?
I would be really annoyed if I had paid £900.00 for a fridge to last 5 years
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 1st Aug
ccnp35 m ago

Find a good small repairer and take it to them rather than calling them …Find a good small repairer and take it to them rather than calling them out. They should only charge you something under £20 to tell you whats wrong and how much to repair.

That's really bad service, I've had repair companies call to check 2 washers and 2 cookers and never been charged a penny if they can't fix it.
Look for a local repair company, ask if they charge if not able to fix, the ones I usa don't.
So your fridge freezer is now 7 years old. I would be looking to replace it.
Toptrumpet38 m ago

So your fridge freezer is now 7 years old. I would be looking to replace …So your fridge freezer is now 7 years old. I would be looking to replace it.

Mine is 8 years old and still going strong and I paid £250.00 for it. For £900.00 I would like to be buried with the fridge.
lots of fixed price repair companies out there if they cant fix it there is no charge prob between £100-£150
For £900 I'd expect to be buried in the fridge.
I have 2 Miele fridge freezers. 1st one is 16yrs old and still going strong and the 2nd one is about 8-9 years and like new. Guess they don't make them like they used to Hope you can get it fixed, if not there are always good deals on here
It’s very annoying when a product breaks down just after the warranty expires. I think if you have paid so much money for a premium product the company should at least come out free and give you an estimate for the repairs for at least 2 years after warranty. I believe there is an EU law which states that the Shop that you purchased the fridge freezer is libel for repairs for up to 6 years depending on the item you purchased . This no longer applies to you. Anyway look for local repairmen in yell.com or check local
Newspapers. I always go for the smallest advert as it implies a single person and not a large company.
I'd try and investigate why it's not working myself. Google around, check youtube, look for common faults etc.

Failing that, google for local repairers and ask what their prices are.
Just look on google/you tube for that model number at common faults. It should give you an idea what’s wrong, then check out espares.co.uk and see if they have the parts you need to do it yourself.

Only do this if you are reasonably competent at DIY/electrical work. If not please use a proper company.
Thankyou alllll sooo much for the insight. Now have alot to read you on and see which option i will go for. I love this community very helpful
sazal11 h, 27 m ago

Thankyou alllll sooo much for the insight. Now have alot to read you on …Thankyou alllll sooo much for the insight. Now have alot to read you on and see which option i will go for. I love this community very helpful

Don't be intimidated doing your own repairs. I had a similar situation with my Bosch washing machine needing new bearings few months after the warranty (2 years) expired . Changing the bearings is one of the most challenging jobs in the washing machine repair trade.

Thanks to youtube and persistence I got it working again and it has been perfect for 6 years so far.
The door handle went earlier this year... ebay+ youtube = 10 mins job
Toptrumpet21 h, 53 m ago

A well made fridge freezer should last a lot longer than 7 years (unless you puncture the cooling tubes with an ice scrapper while trying to defrost it). I think my freezer must be at least 18 years old, and still working fine and my fridge is even older, and they are just Scandinova appliances, a Comet own brand, although of reasonable quality.

I have had to repair the fridge a few times. I've had to replace the mechanical thermostat, I think twice, and the plastic evaporator tray on top of the compressor just recently rotted through leaking water over the floor and needed fibreglassing, and I've recast a couple of plastic hinge pins out of epoxy glue on the plastic shelf flaps in the freezer when they've got snapped off.
Edited by: "melted" 2nd Aug
I agree with you, they should last longer than 7 years, however it depends if it’s cost effective to repair and the likelihood of it failing again. If you can buy a new appliance from £250, the argument is, is it worth £100 to get it diagnosed and fixed?
I’m sure manufacturers are designing appliances to only have a certain shelf life, that way they can guarantee future sales and please shareholders.
Toptrumpet31 m ago

I agree with you, they should last longer than 7 years, however it depends …I agree with you, they should last longer than 7 years, however it depends if it’s cost effective to repair and the likelihood of it failing again. If you can buy a new appliance from £250, the argument is, is it worth £100 to get it diagnosed and fixed?I’m sure manufacturers are designing appliances to only have a certain shelf life, that way they can guarantee future sales and please shareholders.

If it is a sturdily built fridge/freezer in good cosmetic condition and a cheap component failure like the thermostat, then definitely.

Although, I prefer to do repairs myself, and usually buy mid range appliances like bosch and zanussi that mostly prove to be reliable with affordable spare /generic parts..
Edited by: "melted" 2nd Aug
On the Miele website it says that the company's products are designed to last 20 years. Given that, you could claim that the appliance is not functioning as advertised.
melted2nd Aug

If it is a sturdily built fridge/freezer in good cosmetic condition and a …If it is a sturdily built fridge/freezer in good cosmetic condition and a cheap component failure like the thermostat, then definitely.Although, I prefer to do repairs myself, and usually buy mid range appliances like bosch and zanussi that mostly prove to be reliable with affordable spare /generic parts..

I tried reading up about how to go about dealing with the repair on my own and read that you are required to first dismantle a part that stores extra electricity, as you may recieve quite an electric shock. So i panicked and gave up hope, how hard is the part?
sazal6 h, 5 m ago

I tried reading up about how to go about dealing with the repair on my own …I tried reading up about how to go about dealing with the repair on my own and read that you are required to first dismantle a part that stores extra electricity, as you may recieve quite an electric shock. So i panicked and gave up hope, how hard is the part?

I guess you are referring to the start / run capacitor which is a large electrolytic capacitor typically used to make induction motors such as used in the compressor, spin up, and if it has electronic controls, also to the power supply capacitors.

There's a guide here:- whitegoodshelp.co.uk/can…ff/

They also have an appliance repair forum.

They can remain charged for a fair while after the appliance is unplugged and deliver a sever shock at both high voltage and substantial current.

If you leave the appliance unplugged for at least half an hour they should have discharged, don't attempt to discharge them rapidly by shorting them out with a screwdriver before they have had ample time to discharge naturally, as it will produce a substantial arc and also may cause damage.

Also note that large electrolytic capacitors can slowly build up a charge electrostatically when taken out of circuit, so if you remove one and leave it disconnected for a while, it is wise to short the terminals to discharge them. Replacement start caps usually come with the terminals shorted for safety.

Also make absolutely sure you have unplugged the correct appliance - I always wind up the lead and trace it to the back of the appliance.
Edited by: "melted" 10th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions