Expired

Broken Laptop Screen - Dell Inspiron N5010 - LCD bleeding - Need Repair in KENT

Found 4th Jul 2011
Hey everyone, in desperate need of help here!

Basically my beloved Dell laptop was dropped earlier today, and as a result the screen is dead.
By dead I mean that you can only see weird lines and funny colours, I'm told this is an LCD bleed
There APPEARS to be no other damage to the laptop, externally it is fine and the HDD light is flashing fine.
The laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5010, not even a year old yet!
I have already rang up Dell and it is not covered under the first year basic warranty.

So my question is does anyone know of any GOOD laptop screen repair services? I'd rather have somewhere local, so Kent/Medway/London who preferably come to your house to fix it and you pay them when job is done.
Absolutely desperate as I need this laptop for important University work and I'm so stressed now at the prospect of having lost it all...

Please help!
Thanks
Community Updates
12 Comments
I personally wouldn't attempt it but people do buy whatever they need to repair like on eBay and follow vids on Youtube.

Personally i would recommend just buying a new screen off ebay and fixing it yourself to save £60 labour for 20 mins work
Hi,

I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has fixed two Dell laptops for me in the past.

I am not keen on providing his details in a public forum (especially without prior consent), but I can forward these to you by "Private Message" if you would like.

BFN,

fp.
D.I.Y.

Ebay item number:230638968168

laptopscreenonline.com/del…asp if you dont want to use ebay. Used them three times for me and mates and they are good. Do it yourself as Dell laptops are really easy to change the screen on.
hook it up to a monitor or tv cost about £3 for the cable if you haven't got one.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

fanpages

Hi,I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has … Hi,I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has fixed two Dell laptops for me in the past.I am not keen on providing his details in a public forum (especially without prior consent), but I can forward these to you by "Private Message" if you would like.BFN,fp.

This would be very kind of you fanpages if you don't mind PMing me
Just trying to scout round for the best price really!
Can you remember what you had to pay to fix them last time?
juiceblaster

hook it up to a monitor or tv cost about £3 for the cable if you haven't … hook it up to a monitor or tv cost about £3 for the cable if you haven't got one.

I already have a cable which I use for that purpose already, the issue is I want the laptop fully working without the need for a monitor or tv so it can be used as you know, a mobile laptop.

martinhb

http://www.laptopscreenonline.com/dell-inspiron-n5010-laptop-led-lcd-screen-7496-p.asp if you dont want to use ebay. Used them three times for me and mates and they are good. Do it yourself as Dell laptops are really easy to change the screen on.

Ah I was very tempted to change it myself but I really don't trust myself!
Do you have any tips for doing it? Or instructions? Aha I'm absolutely useless at these things! Terrified I'd just make it worse too
fanpages

Hi,I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has … Hi,I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has fixed two Dell laptops for me in the past.I am not keen on providing his details in a public forum (especially without prior consent), but I can forward these to you by "Private Message" if you would like.

SamRawr

This would be very kind of you fanpages if you don't mind PMing me :)Just … This would be very kind of you fanpages if you don't mind PMing me :)Just trying to scout round for the best price really!Can you remember what you had to pay to fix them last time?

No problem at all. You're very welcome.

Sorry, I don't know what was paid. £100 inclusive of screen & labour sounds familiar but I may be recalling that incorrectly. I doubt it was as cheap as quoted above for the "destroy it yourself" method.

I can find out for sure later this (Tuesday) morning if you wish. In the meantime, I will send you the contact details.

BFN,

fp.

Ah I should also note that the other reason why I'd prefer to see someone in person is because the screen itself is not cracked or damaged in anyway, it is just the LCD behind it. So by seeing someone in person, if there is any other damage or something different wrong with it, I could be alerted instead of replacing the screen myself to see that it wasn't the problem originally! Hope I make sense
fanpages

Hi,I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has … Hi,I have a friend (based in Maidstone) who may be able to help. He has fixed two Dell laptops for me in the past.I am not keen on providing his details in a public forum (especially without prior consent), but I can forward these to you by "Private Message" if you would like.

SamRawr

This would be very kind of you fanpages if you don't mind PMing me :)Just … This would be very kind of you fanpages if you don't mind PMing me :)Just trying to scout round for the best price really!Can you remember what you had to pay to fix them last time?

Ah thank you greatly fanpages!
So far my prices range from £90-£112
Going to ring up and check with Dell tomorrow to see what their "outer warranty" people will quote, although I'm expecting having to pay through the nose for that!
I must admit buying the screen for £40 odd and doing it myself sounds very very tempting, but knowing me I'd make it worse somehow!
And thank you again
Would just like to say thank you so much to everyone who replied.
In the end, looking at the quoted prices for a repair and the advice given by the lovely people who posted, I actually bought a screen replacement myself and got that put in, paying £40 instead of £100 - £300!
So again, thanks everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants