Broken Samsung NC10 screen

Found 14th Apr 2009
Girlfriend accidentally stepped on Samsung NC10. There's now a split screen and a huge black patch on the screen. I bought it from Dixons airport around 3.5 months ago so prob past the date when I can have it looked at. Wondering what's the cheapest way to have this fixed/ screen replaced? Thanks.

18 Comments

Banned

oh shoot... screens are like the most expensive part... try ebay dude... also you might find a tutorial to fit the screen on the internet.

my GF stepped on my glasses on two separate occaisions and she cried like someone died.... hope your GF felt a little guilty!

i know a hit man that will fix ur screen and fix ur girlfriend if u want his number ?lol

Original Poster

yeah i could do with both. this happened 2 days ago. i actually SAW her step on it, but didn't use it for 2 days. she now vehemently denies ever stepping on it!

So maybe it was the magic bunny who smashed my screen in the night.

One thing I'm thinking is to replace it with a touchscreen LCD. Saw a few on ebay for around 60 quid. I don't know if it'll fix the problem though. Basically there's like 2 huge black blotches and a 'stich' line that runs irregularly across, almost like something's torn. Wish there was a safer way to have it looked at without blowing my cash...

Well if she accidentally stood on the screen then surely that musta meant the laptop was laying flat out on the floor for her to be able to do that.

If thats the case then who put the laptop there?

Banned

AshleyRFC;4925788

Well if she accidentally stood on the screen then surely that musta meant … Well if she accidentally stood on the screen then surely that musta meant the laptop was laying flat out on the floor for her to be able to do that.If thats the case then who put the laptop there?

that's not the point dude.. i know its a netbook but its not something you couldnt see when you walk...

Banned

bargaindoctor;4925574

yeah i could do with both. this happened 2 days ago. i actually SAW her … yeah i could do with both. this happened 2 days ago. i actually SAW her step on it, but didn't use it for 2 days. she now vehemently denies ever stepping on it! So maybe it was the magic bunny who smashed my screen in the night.One thing I'm thinking is to replace it with a touchscreen LCD. Saw a few on ebay for around 60 quid. I don't know if it'll fix the problem though. Basically there's like 2 huge black blotches and a 'stich' line that runs irregularly across, almost like something's torn. Wish there was a safer way to have it looked at without blowing my cash...

you need to make sure the touch screen is not just a clear overlay... it needs the LCD too.

it probs looks something like this right:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3028/crackedscreen1920x12802mj.jpg

bargaindoctor;4925574

yeah i could do with both. this happened 2 days ago. i actually SAW her … yeah i could do with both. this happened 2 days ago. i actually SAW her step on it, but didn't use it for 2 days. she now vehemently denies ever stepping on it! So maybe it was the magic bunny who smashed my screen in the night.One thing I'm thinking is to replace it with a touchscreen LCD. Saw a few on ebay for around 60 quid. I don't know if it'll fix the problem though. Basically there's like 2 huge black blotches and a 'stich' line that runs irregularly across, almost like something's torn. Wish there was a safer way to have it looked at without blowing my cash...

Basically mate your screen is absolutely 100% fked if it is as described and you will have to replace it.
It should be a fairly easy job for you to do yourself, however it probably wont be cheap to find an LCD.
(im imagining the touch screen you found is just an overlay? if not £60 is a pretty good price if its compatible)

bargaindoctor;4925574

As mentioned above, the touch screen will just be an overlay (i've got one for my apire one). Would yo consider selling it in it current state? If you will, let me know how much your looking for.

Sounds totally screwed. Buying the parts and doing it yourself is always a risk if you aren't that way inclined as you will end up dismantling the whole thing I would guess. I can only imagine there are various connectors and ribbon cables etc. Could be easy, could be very difficult. Presumably you aren't insured for accidental cover?

Original Poster

hey guys thanks so much for all the suggestions.

yes it's a bit like the pic above, a bit less but still wonkered! i assume that means having to replace it.

also great points re: overlay, it does look like the ones on ebay are all overlays. *sigh*. guess I'll have to resort to replacement.

As for selling it, I'll prob lose more selling it now than after I fix the screen no LOL

bargaindoctor;4926300

hey guys thanks so much for all the suggestions. yes it's a bit like the … hey guys thanks so much for all the suggestions. yes it's a bit like the pic above, a bit less but still wonkered! i assume that means having to replace it. also great points re: overlay, it does look like the ones on ebay are all overlays. *sigh*. guess I'll have to resort to replacement.As for selling it, I'll prob lose more selling it now than after I fix the screen no LOL

I replaced my laptop screen a few weeks back, got it from a seller called bumblesale on ebay uk based with 100% feedback. 67 quid.
]info
]Looks like it will be £97 for yours click here
Easy job to do on the lappy, just a selection of screws and 2 connectors, one for the data and one for the backlight. :thumbsup:

Could you claim on your household insurance for accidental damage?

bargaindoctor;4926300

hey guys thanks so much for all the suggestions. yes it's a bit like the … hey guys thanks so much for all the suggestions. yes it's a bit like the pic above, a bit less but still wonkered! i assume that means having to replace it. also great points re: overlay, it does look like the ones on ebay are all overlays. *sigh*. guess I'll have to resort to replacement.As for selling it, I'll prob lose more selling it now than after I fix the screen no LOL

Ok, good luck fixing it but if you do change your mind PM me.

Cheers

My son recently hit our laptop screen with his Lazytown bat and we got it fixed through the household insurance.

imranmaz;4933491

lol we made it on bitterwallet … lol we made it on bitterwallet http://www.bitterwallet.com/how-to-repair-a-broken-laptop-lcd/10087

See they have removed your response the swines.

Banned

esq3585;4933718

See they have removed your response the swines.

lol yeh it was a rubbish post anyway!

esq3585;4926313

I replaced my laptop screen a few weeks back, got it from a seller called … I replaced my laptop screen a few weeks back, got it from a seller called bumblesale on ebay uk based with 100% feedback. 67 quid.]info]Looks like it will be £97 for yours click hereEasy job to do on the lappy, just a selection of screws and 2 connectors, one for the data and one for the backlight. :thumbsup:

Replaced the LCD screen on my cousins NC10 the other day using a screen from exactly this seller. Its a case of removing the four rubber tabs in the corners on the screen (two circular ones at the top, two square at the bottom) and undoing the screws underneath them. Then pop the plastic surround off by running your finger around all 4 edges.

Lift the plastic surround off (careful at the top as it's stuck on to the screen using non-permanent glue). After you've got the surround off, its a simple case of removing 4 screws (2 each on the bottom left and right of the screen) and 1 connector on the back of the screen.

Then just do the reverse with your new screen to get it replaced. It helps to have someone to hold the screen as you screw it back in!

The replacement screen from bumblesale had an identical part number barcode on the back. The only difference was the bumblesale one was made in Taiwan, whereas the original screen was made in China. With the new screen installed it works perfectly and looks identical in clarity to the old screen.

Use the first few steps on this guide: ]http//ne…on/ to get the surround off.

Cheers
Phil

PhilGB;4968637

Replaced the LCD screen on my cousins NC10 the other day using a screen … Replaced the LCD screen on my cousins NC10 the other day using a screen from exactly this seller. Its a case of removing the four rubber tabs in the corners on the screen (two circular ones at the top, two square at the bottom) and undoing the screws underneath them. Then pop the plastic surround off by running your finger around all 4 edges.Lift the plastic surround off (careful at the top as it's stuck on to the screen using non-permanent glue). After you've got the surround off, its a simple case of removing 4 screws (2 each on the bottom left and right of the screen) and 1 connector on the back of the screen.Then just do the reverse with your new screen to get it replaced. It helps to have someone to hold the screen as you screw it back in!The replacement screen from bumblesale had an identical part number barcode on the back. The only difference was the bumblesale one was made in Taiwan, whereas the original screen was made in China. With the new screen installed it works perfectly and looks identical in clarity to the old screen.Use the first few steps on this guide: ]http://netbookmag.com/2009/02/03/tutorial-samsung-nc10-touchscreen-installation/ to get the surround off.CheersPhil

Great ebay seller there Phil, they actually sent me out an original samsung screen after the first one was faulty, well chuffed with their service, top notch.
Post a comment
@
    Text