Broken wrist

Posted 3rd Dec
My mother has broken her wrist in two places, it's been a few days and she's really struggling with the pain - anyone on here gone through the same thing, any recommendations to help ease the hurt other than painkillers?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
What advice did they give you at the hospital?
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell03/12/2019 22:01

What advice did they give you at the hospital?

Keep it elevated in a sling. It's difficult for her to sleep at night as she has no control over how rolling onto it once she nods off.
Maybe get a decent (thick) cushion for her to put her arm on whilst in bed. Then if she does roll or anything it will be hard not to know your body isn't where it was when you fell asleep
you could make the bed area that she has access to narrower so there is less room to turn on her side whilst asleep. fill the unwanted area with cushions or soft barriers.
It’s hard, I’ve had 3 operations on my left wrist.
Pain and swelling is a majissue.
First thing to look at is, has it swollen up and getting tighter in the cast. Might need a trip to A&E to check.
As after it’s put in a cast it usually the pain stops by the next day.
I had this issue after my last op. They took the cast off and double wrapped it with padding.

As for sleeping I got a pair of tights and tied my cast to the head board.
Also wedged my arm between pillows, when I moved in the night I kept hitting the wife’s head. LoL
Take anti inflammatory regularly and keep it elevated as much as possible.
Pack pillows around her at night or sleep sitting up like they do in hospitals
bigwheels03/12/2019 23:58

It’s hard, I’ve had 3 operations on my left wrist.Pain and swelling is a ma …It’s hard, I’ve had 3 operations on my left wrist.Pain and swelling is a majissue.First thing to look at is, has it swollen up and getting tighter in the cast. Might need a trip to A&E to check.As after it’s put in a cast it usually the pain stops by the next day.I had this issue after my last op. They took the cast off and double wrapped it with padding.As for sleeping I got a pair of tights and tied my cast to the head board.Also wedged my arm between pillows, when I moved in the night I kept hitting the wife’s head. LoLTake anti inflammatory regularly and keep it elevated as much as possible.

Sorry I laughed really hard at the hitting my wife in the head part.....!!! Sorry was she to blame for the break?

Hope it’s better now
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Dec
I've broken a few bones including a complex break on my rist, I'm surprised it still hurts if it's in a cast.

I found Ibuprofen works best for breaks, there's also Paramol which is the strongest over the counter pain medication, those can be taken together if needed, she could always visit her GP for something stronger, they gave me something that had the same ingredients as Paramol but in a higher dosage.

As for sleeping, like others have said I used pillows either side of me so I could only sleep on my back when I broke my collarbone, that hurts like a "bleep" "bleep" if they decide to let it heal naturally.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 4th Dec
This sounds really unpleasant and very debilitating. Pain should have been discussed and expectations set along with advice on painkillers prior to discharge. However the simple fact is that discharges these days are highly unreliable.

As another poster said, if it is swelling and tight, get back to A&E quickly. Casts 'hold'. They must not restrict blood flow. If your fingers feel bloated, it may be the blood supply is restricted.

If the pain is OK before going to bed, then as a poster said, use pillows etc to restrict movement in bed. Again, it may be a blood flow issue from the way you lie in bed and builds over time or it may be the act of movement whilst asleep - however, your post suggests the pain is not the sort that wakes you as the result of banging your arm.

If in doubt, you could book a nurse appointment at your practise as they are easier to get usually. If the nurse is unimpressed, (s)he can get you in to see a doctor quickly.

Good luck
My partner has had surgery on both her wrists, and she swears by Lloyds Cream. You buy it in a jar, probably cheapest online, around £4/5 per jar.

Also those heat bean cushion things you bung in the microwave would be good.
Not really into it myself but weed works, I prefer something a bit stronger even without a broken bone...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants