Broken xbox 360, do game have to accept the return

We have an xbox 360 bought end of july 2007
Has been repaired by microsoft twice for RROD
Over the last few weeks has constantly been getting two red lights for overheating, i called xbox who said they will repair at our cost
Then today i came across this
dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
So if i toddle along to game with my receipt, xbox and a print out of that article, does anyone have any idea what the chances of a refund are ?

46 Comments

No, it's over a year old. Game only have to accept it for a year otherwise it's manufacturers problem.

Original Poster

t0mm;5316619

No, it's over a year old. Game only have to accept it for a year … No, it's over a year old. Game only have to accept it for a year otherwise it's manufacturers problem.

Thats what i thought, Have you read the article?

skellysgirl;5316649

Thats what i thought, Have you read the article?

Unless it's on a governmental website I doubt it.

It's a newspaper.

Also, as it's been replaced and is overheating your problem is with Microsoft not Game.
Game supplied a console which has been replaced. It's out of their hands I'd think.

t0mm;5316619

No, it's over a year old. Game only have to accept it for a year … No, it's over a year old. Game only have to accept it for a year otherwise it's manufacturers problem.

Actually under the sales of goods act the retailer is still accountable.

I also see 'sales of goods act' mentioned. To qualify for this you must prove that the console was faulty from the start, but seeingas it's been replaced you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

deathtrap3000;5316689

Actually under the sales of goods act the retailer is still accountable.

As above

t0mm;5316691

I also see 'sales of goods act' mentioned. To qualify for this you must … I also see 'sales of goods act' mentioned. To qualify for this you must prove that the console was faulty from the start, but seeingas it's been replaced you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Overheating, rrod, e74? all inerrant faults.

deathtrap3000;5316706

Overheating, rrod, e74? all inerrant faults.

It was probably replaced, MS never send the same console out.

Original Poster

But if microsoft is accountable why are they saying no they wont repair it ?
If they wont then i am left with the opinion the retailer should, in under 2 yrs it has broken 3 times now, The product quality is not what i paid for

t0mm;5316718

It was 'replaced' not the exact same console.

You dont have to mention that its already been replaced :whistling:

skellysgirl;5316732

But if microsoft is accountable why are they saying no they wont repair … But if microsoft is accountable why are they saying no they wont repair it ?If they wont then i am left with the opinion the retailer should, in under 2 yrs it has broken 3 times now, The product quality is not what i paid for

Tell them it was faulty from the start, or force it to RROD :whistling:

Original Poster

been playing it for a week to RROD, just wont happen it just switches off

skellysgirl;5316762

been playing it for a week to RROD, just wont happen it just switches off

Wrap it in a towel and turn it on.

or put some cotton buds in the fans at the back and play a game a couple of times

Original Poster

the way i see it that its generally been back and forward to microsoft and wether its the original console of not, i dont expect this out of a product under 2 yr old.
Why should i pay for repair and even then i suspect that something will happen again
So what do i do ?
Go back to microsoft and complain and ask for a brand new unit ? cos i cant see them giving in to that
Or the game route

Original Poster

I shouldnt have to RROD it though, thats my whole point
Some one should be accountable either game or microsoft and im thinking the game route is my best chance at getting a whole new unit

skellysgirl;5316791

the way i see it that its generally been back and forward to microsoft … the way i see it that its generally been back and forward to microsoft and wether its the original console of not, i dont expect this out of a product under 2 yr old.Why should i pay for repair and even then i suspect that something will happen again So what do i do ?Go back to microsoft and complain and ask for a brand new unit ? cos i cant see them giving in to thatOr the game route

Argue to xbox say obviously it was faulty from the start.

Then try game.

Believe me it's xbox, you're lucky its lasted a year :p.

deathtrap3000;5316768

Wrap it in a towel and turn it on.

Do not do this, it will make it even worse. Why would you tell someone to do this?!

Log onto xbox.com

Register it, or link to your email, fill out the repair form, clicking the 3 red light box, and state sometimes it switches on with 3 red lights, sometimes with 2.

You will have return labels very soon

Well mine got the rrod again a few weeks ago. Its an original console so theres nout microsoft will do.
Going to get in contact with trading standards etc and see if there's anything I can get PC World to do.

woz;5316815

Do not do this, it will make it even worse. Why would you tell someone to … Do not do this, it will make it even worse. Why would you tell someone to do this?!

So the op can get a free fix from ms.

t0mm;5316619

As others have said. Incorrect.
Absolutely no liability with the manufacturer on any level.

Original Poster

we have 3 of the them first was a release date, had no probs till it started to overheat and broke before christmas...dont have a problem we got our moneys worth.
We bought a elite...been great so far
This one has had nothing but bother from the beginning, i don't mind paying for a unit and to be truthful if i got 3 years out of it then id be happy...but this one started to overheat a whilst ago so id say we probs only got 18 month tops, less if you account for 2 lots of repairs.
I shouldn't have to make up stories to microsoft and risk getting charged for repair, or have to try to RROD to get a repair.

Mines got hte RROD on saturday, does any1 no how long the tunr around time is of me getting it back ? and also do they repair it or just replace it ?

if it's under a year old, otherwise, no.

deathtrap3000;5316843

So the op can get a free fix from ms.

But if it's already got three red rings, what's the point

woz;5316950

But if it's already got three red rings, what's the point

Read... it has 2..

Jelly;5316940

if it's under a year old, otherwise, no.

*sigh*
Not a refund, but a repair or replacement.

even if microsoft didn't send the same console back to you, it won't have been replaced with a new one - just someone else's repaired one, so in my opinion that's a repair not a replacement. and since the repair was obviously unsuccessful microsoft should repair their repair that is do what the promised to begin with. that's the point that I would argue with them. Also you should know that microsoft recently admitted that E74 errors stemmed from the same defect and now includes those in it's 3 year warranty. Though not 2 red lights that i'm aware of.

You could also just try a 3rd party cooling solution and move the xbox if it's say inside an entertainment unit. I suspect if you could just shave a couple of degrees off the temp it would be ok.

t0mm;5316954

Read... it has 2..

But ms said they'd already repair at their expense?

I just didn't see the point in breaking it further

Original Poster

bruffterman;5317057

microsoft recently admitted that E74 errors stemmed from the same defect … microsoft recently admitted that E74 errors stemmed from the same defect and now includes those in it's 3 year warranty. Though not 2 red lights that i'm aware of.

Thats just it though, its because of that MS are refusing to repair it.
So if they are not going to repair it then i am left with a unit which has been substandard,
If it was under a yr the retailer would have to take it back, this article proves just the same, only they are liable for 2 years.

Original Poster

MS said they would repair if i paid, and i have had a read round on forums and some people have tried to send it in under the pretence of the RROD and been charged for the repair.

Original Poster

I think the repair is around £65
I refuse to pay it, why should i

Lots of armchair lawyers tonight!
GAME = statutory liability under SOGA - either argue it was not fit for purpose ab initio, or not of satisfactory (formerly 'merchantable') quality. This is time limited at 6 years maximum. If GAME play up use s74 CCA to chargeback the credit card purchase.
MS = Contractual liability for warranty period, and three years for RROD due to the widely publicised extended warranty on which consumers may be detrimentally reliant.
Google for the act yourself and have a read, don't take any of words for it. Evidently several of us know sod all, and confused misstatements don't help at all. Or check with TS/CAB. Alternatively your local uni law dept may have a consumer law clinic run by students.

skellysgirl;5317124

I think the repair is around £65 I refuse to pay it, why should i

It's got nothing to do with Microsoft. You bought nothing from them.

Sorry, when I read it as "our cost" I thought you meant ms were repairing it

Original Poster

I am going to try game tomorrow
The way im looking technically
Microsoft are saying it is not liable as its out of the 1yr manufacturers warranty (its not RROD so 3yrs does not count)
So the only other option is game as this is covered under the soga.

Im sure game will kick and scream, i will update tomorrow

Thank you for all the help everyone

if game don't play ball, get onto the Trading standards and Watchdog, if you had it repaired once, then MS would repair again, but seeing as its an inherent fault, and you have had it replaced twice, MS should pay up, its their fault the systems are unreliable (cost cutting on the GPU development)

i would argue the case, as you expect more than 18 months use from a new game system. game are probably not likely to replace nor are MS but let TS know as its poor customer service from MS and maybe you will get a result from TS / Watchdog

once my xbox got 3 red rings, i got it repaired then sold it on, i cannot be bothered with the hassle of waiting for it to go kaputt again, i now got a ps3 and they are much more reliable (even if i do miss Xbox Live)

I feel sorry for game, and retailers... I understand the retailers liability for the sale of goods act... But the act is pretty stupid. I don't see why it is games fault nearly 3 years down the line.....

It is a silly act/law.

Chiptivo;5317417

I feel sorry for game, and retailers... I understand the retailers … I feel sorry for game, and retailers... I understand the retailers liability for the sale of goods act... But the act is pretty stupid. I don't see why it is games fault nearly 3 years down the line.....It is a silly act/law.

That silly law is there to protect you from shoddy goods and save you the bother of returning to the mfg in China, USA etc or binning them.
A lot of retailers try/tried to wriggle out of their responsibility this was meant for them to put their house in order and stop selling crap, then saying " It wasn't me!"
.......and by the amount of faulty ipod's,xbox's,imac's etc that appear on ebay with the same fault, alot of people either don't know their rights or can't be bothered and retailers/mfg's haven't got the msg or don't gaf.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767347
    2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927370
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1871347
    4. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2445

See more discussions