Brompton electric bike is here (for preorder)! @ Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative

Found 5th Nov 2017Edited by:"alexdodd"
Well the pre production demo unit is. I had a quick go in their Canonmills branch yesterday, after signing a Brompton disclaimer and providing ID and pre-approving a credit card. It's the only unit in Scotland, so it's pretty special

More details here save the usual copying it all through. edinburghbicycle.com/inf…nd/

I had 15 mins play, and it's awesome, with lights that switch on and off automatically, a pouch to charge your phone in the front (and soon to come iPhone app, although I don't know what it does). Whole bike weighs around 13kg (17kg w/battery), and you get up to 50 miles range, which makes it the ultimate folding commuter.

The battery pack clips on and off super easy and all the electronics are connected at the special brompton connector. Everything feels solid and premium like you'd expect, and there is a choice of small battery only bag, or bigger one with space for things too

£200 fully refundable deposit (direct with Brompton) gets you on a reserve list, because they won't be able to meet demand immediately after release. Sometime early 2018 you get your order fulfilled.
see here:
brompton.com/bro…897

Quote from Brompton:
Reserve your Brompton Electric to make sure you get one of the first (please note: this product is currently only available to UK residents, excluding Northern Ireland). You will be able to choose your options and dealer to collect from later, when we invite you to make your final purchase. Prices range from £2,595 to £2,755 depending on your final specification choice. For more details on the specification options and buying process, please see below.
Community Updates
Top comments
17 Comments
So it wieght is the same as me
If you can be arsed pedalling use one of these:
scooter.co.uk/50c…tml
Two of my biggest hates in a single bike.
What next a reclining, foldable, electric bike. Oh no shouldnt have given them the idea...
Edited by: "mcrobbj" 5th Nov 2017
Segata-Sanshiro24 m ago

You weigh 13 kg???? That's two stones.
psychobitchfromhell7 m ago

I was being dramatic, it says 17 with the battery hardly a lightweight folding commuter bike is it.

My kids scooter is about 6 and thats a pain to carry up stairs
Segata-Sanshiro9 m ago

I was being dramatic, it says 17 with the battery hardly a lightweight …I was being dramatic, it says 17 with the battery hardly a lightweight folding commuter bike is it.My kids scooter is about 6 and thats a pain to carry up stairs

My cat weighs seven and a half. He's a big beast. Price tag is fairly hefty too. Think I'll stick to my twenty odd year old pushbike
Segata-Sanshiro13 m ago

I was being dramatic, it says 17 with the battery hardly a lightweight …I was being dramatic, it says 17 with the battery hardly a lightweight folding commuter bike is it.My kids scooter is about 6 and thats a pain to carry up stairs

I wouldn't have thought stairs would be much of an issue you would fold it for the train/boot of a car

either that or grow some muscles
psychobitchfromhell7 m ago

My cat weighs seven and a half. He's a big beast. Price tag is fairly …My cat weighs seven and a half. He's a big beast. Price tag is fairly hefty too. Think I'll stick to my twenty odd year old pushbike

and you would be far less likely to be worried about that getting nicked ?
the bike not the cat
Wongy1104 m ago

I wouldn't have thought stairs would be much of an issue you would fold it …I wouldn't have thought stairs would be much of an issue you would fold it for the train/boot of a careither that or grow some muscles

I have muscles thanks, if its for commuting you have to take it back to your London flat or put it in your office or risk someone walking past it and going hmm 2k bike I'm having that
Segata-Sanshiro11 m ago

I have muscles thanks, if its for commuting you have to take it back to …I have muscles thanks, if its for commuting you have to take it back to your London flat or put it in your office or risk someone walking past it and going hmm 2k bike I'm having that

Yes that is the main thing about a folding bike you don't have to put it in the guards van unlocked
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 47 m ago

The bike weighs about the same as a 2 year old, I'm sure most people have managed to carry a child upstairs onto trains etc
Wongy1101 h, 26 m ago

and you would be far less likely to be worried about that getting nicked …and you would be far less likely to be worried about that getting nicked ?the bike not the cat

Have to pump the tyres up first. As for the cat, he's up for adoption any time
psychobitchfromhell6 h, 30 m ago

With that I'm guessing they'll be filling a Labour MP's shoes when she gets promoted to Leader of the Labour Party and Leader of the Opposition
psychobitchfromhell6 h, 17 m ago

My cat weighs seven and a half. He's a big beast. Price tag is fairly …My cat weighs seven and a half. He's a big beast. Price tag is fairly hefty too. Think I'll stick to my twenty odd year old pushbike

No good sticking to it - you need to ride it

Ride it like the wind..................... no not that wind because you'll incur a T-Charge
philphil613 m ago

No good sticking to it - you need to ride itRide it like the …No good sticking to it - you need to ride itRide it like the wind..................... no not that wind because you'll incur a T-Charge

I don't think my bike was built for speed.
As for the Brompton (the same that was on The Gadget Show)

It's too expensive for what you get - you are paying for a brand name nothing more.

You can get EBikes (with throttles so you don't even need to pedal) for £750 (last time I looked

And you can buy a brand new Honda PCX 125 for similar price as the Brompton with £18 tax + £150 insurance + CBT and you can go for miles upon miles @ 140mpg and it's easier to ride....just press a button, twist & go
Edited by: "philphil61" 5th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants