Expired

Brought Iphone 4s on Ebay. What if he does not pay bill?

Found 7th Mar 2012
Hi, brought an iphone 4s. He has told me that it is a contract phone that was sold to me.

What im asking is..... if he does not pay his bill will it get blocked? is there any way of protecting the phone I have brought
Community Updates
MiscAppleiPhone
27 Comments
If he doesn't pay the bills the phone company should cut him (you off). If it's on a contract is he paying for your calls???!
Nope they're not usually blocked and nope, No way of protecting yourself either other than having the imei changed which is illegal and probably very hard to do.
Banana79

If he doesn't pay the bills the phone company should cut him (you off). … If he doesn't pay the bills the phone company should cut him (you off). If it's on a contract is he paying for your calls???!

I would be more worried about them reporting it as stolen rather than not paying the bill oO
These are the questions that need to be considered prior to purchase.

If the contract is in default then only the sim associated with the contract is normally blocked, e.g. it's an account restriction and not applicable to the mobile device.

However if they report it stolen/lost and make an insurance claim, then your phone may cease to function as intended. The seller is at risk though. You'll have a full audit trail to counter any such claims with no guarantee that block on the phone would be removed (should a fraudulent claim be made). You would of course perhaps wish to pursue any losses direct with the seller.

I bought a contract phone off somebody - was a bit worried so went to collect it myself, got his address, phone number and a receipt.
Been over a year since and not had any problems with the phone, had to have it unlocked by T-Mobile which caused some problems (IMEI number registered to another customers contract) but I told them I purchased the phone and no longer had contact with the person I purchased from and they were fine with it and sent an unlock code (although they wouldn't remove the IMEI number being linked to his account without his permission, for obvious reasons i.e. theft).
Note that you can also get the person your buying from to phone T-Mobile and release the phone from being linked to his account.
Ben
Bring - Brought
Buy - Bought
i would worry more about what possessed you to buy a iphone4
My friend had a falling out with orange, after warning him that he would not be able to pay the contract bills he still got a iphone3 and then failed to pay the contract. They cut him off but never blocked his phone and now he just uses another pay as you go SIM.
if its still under warranty with apple get it changed under warranty for the faulty home button;)
One thing you can do is try and invent a good fault with iphone and send it to apple for replacement. Then you will have a new imei number and no one can block even if original is reported lost/stolen
lumsdot

i would worry more about what possessed you to buy a iphone4

You're on a mission today aren't you!?
Put it this way, someone I know had there iphone 4 blocked because the person the contracts name was under said they wanted it blocked out of spite, even though the funds have been coming out of the person that held the phones account.

Legally, they can recall the phone back as well...it's unbelievable but that's the facts.
ifrazalam

One thing you can do is try and invent a good fault with iphone and send … One thing you can do is try and invent a good fault with iphone and send it to apple for replacement. Then you will have a new imei number and no one can block even if original is reported lost/stolen

They do keep records you know and are probably well aware of this scam and will just block the new IMEI number associated with the older one
Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei number. I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt work. So unless you know what you talking about stay silent NEWBIE1001
aScottishBloke

These are the questions that need to be considered prior to purchase.If … These are the questions that need to be considered prior to purchase.If the contract is in default then only the sim associated with the contract is normally blocked, e.g. it's an account restriction and not applicable to the mobile device.However if they report it stolen/lost and make an insurance claim, then your phone may cease to function as intended. The seller is at risk though. You'll have a full audit trail to counter any such claims with no guarantee that block on the phone would be removed (should a fraudulent claim be made). You would of course perhaps wish to pursue any losses direct with the seller.

they can block it for non bill payment
heres a post from vodafone on the same thing
forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/…329

Basically if she continues with the agreement and then stops paying for … Basically if she continues with the agreement and then stops paying for it without cancelling we will firstly block the SIM whilst the debt is pursued and if no contact is made we will then look at blocking the IMEI of the handset that was supplied.

ifrazalam

Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei number. I wouldnt have … Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei number. I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt work. So unless you know what you talking about stay silent NEWBIE1001

There is one circumstance where they will block a new imei and that's when the contact has been obtained through fraud (id theft ect).

In that case as a soon as the fraud becomes known to the network the sim will be cut off and the handset will be blocked.
Edited by: "steve1221" 7th Mar 2012
[quote=ifrazalam]Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei number. I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt work. So unless you know what you talking about stay silent NEWBIE1001[/quote

So your a scammer then well done. Maybe HUKD will give you a badge
If the network did block the phone then I would have thought that you should be able to get it sorted as long as you have sufficient proof that you have bought the phone. If it was me I would ask the seller to enclose a handwritten note within the parcel stating that they have sold you that phone (with IMEI number) stated. When I sold my upgrade phone on eBay I actually sent the buyer the receipt I got with the phone, so that they could be assured they wouldn't have such a problem. Then print out copies of the auction page, Paypal receipt, etc and just keep them in a safe place
steer clear.....no problems then!
ifrazalamMar 07, 2012
Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei number. I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt work. So unless you know what you talking about stay silent NEWBIE1001

Haha..burn! Do you even lift????
um ok
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DonRSD/rise_from_your_grave.png
sarah12345

ifrazalamMar 07, 2012Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei … ifrazalamMar 07, 2012Guaranteed they cannot/ will not block new imei number. I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt work. So unless you know what you talking about stay silent NEWBIE1001Haha..burn! Do you even lift????

more misc cannon fodder for the masses
Bizarro world again.
i think only Voda blacklist the phone if the bill doesn't get paid
Anth2210

i think only Voda blacklist the phone if the bill doesn't get paid

thread is a year old
csiman

thread is a year old

FML i just realised.....going away to hide now

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants