Brown rice. (Not quick cook brown rice)

Posted 3rd Oct
Where can I buy brown rice in Kg quantities.

Spent ages learning how to cook brown rice well and now nowhere seems to sell the "simple" variety. It's all basmati, uncle bens or easy cook.

Living in West London, where can one get decent value on kilo quantities of the normal long cook time brown (or whole grain) rice?
Thanks in advance,
Ian
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Try Asian food shops. They aren’t chains so unable to advise on specific shops. London has loads of them.
Isn't brown rice like brown flour? A description of how it's been milled rather than a variety of rice.

So what variety are you looking for? Jasmine rice?
Aldi brown rice is great in my opinion. Takes 25 minutes to cook sold in 1kg bags.
Basmati Brown rice is just one type of brown rice - brown rice is just regular unprocessed variety of rice.

We normally buy 1kg bags in Home Bargains - cook it in pressure cooker for 11 mins after soaking it in water for an hour or so.
Van197303/10/2019 13:57

Basmati Brown rice is just one type of brown rice - brown rice is just …Basmati Brown rice is just one type of brown rice - brown rice is just regular unprocessed variety of rice.We normally buy 1kg bags in Home Bargains - cook it in pressure cooker for 11 mins after soaking it in water for an hour or so.

Thanks Van,

Your "unprocessed variety of rice" is pretty much what I mean. Takes ages to cook but if done correctly has a lovely "nutty" taste that refined rice doesn't match. IMHO.
EndlessWaves03/10/2019 11:55

Isn't brown rice like brown flour? A description of how it's been milled …Isn't brown rice like brown flour? A description of how it's been milled rather than a variety of rice.So what variety are you looking for? Jasmine rice?

Van's "unprocessed variety of rice" is pretty much what I mean. Not looking for a particular variety, just for it to be in it's native state.
cmdr_elito03/10/2019 06:09

Try Asian food shops. They aren’t chains so unable to advise on specific s …Try Asian food shops. They aren’t chains so unable to advise on specific shops. London has loads of them.

I'm thinking this for the win. I may need to buy more than I plan on using anytime soon but will also be supporting the smaller retailer against the supermarkets.

Thanks cmdr_elito
greelyi04/10/2019 05:25

Van's "unprocessed variety of rice" is pretty much what I mean. Not …Van's "unprocessed variety of rice" is pretty much what I mean. Not looking for a particular variety, just for it to be in it's native state.

Why reject the varieties like brown Basmati that you've already seen then?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 4th Oct
EndlessWaves04/10/2019 09:58

Why reject the varieties like brown Basmati that you've already seen then?

In point of fact I don't reject them. I have a pack in the cupboard now. In my head I think of Basmati as for Indian type meals and somehow it doesn't seem "correct" for my staple Chile. YMMV
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants