Groups

BT 1571 service and BT Privacy at Home Caller Display

Just registered to get BT 1571 service and BT Privacy at Home Caller Display and in part of the confirmation email it states the following:-

To avoid being charged for this service, you need to make chargeable or inclusive calls with BT. If you're billed monthly, you must make at least two calls per month using BT. If you're billed quarterly, you need make at least six calls every three months using BT. If you don't, you may be charged GBP 1.71 per month, or GBP 5.13 per quarter for this service. Calls using BT Broadband Talk are not included.

I hardly make any chargeable calls as i get free calls after 6pm and weekends the part where it states 'inclusive with BT' in the above statement, does that mean as long as i keep making these 'free' after 6pm and weekend calls i won't get charged?

Thanks for any info ;-)

15 Comments

Correct. They rely on you forgetting so just set your phone alarm to remind you.

You will have to make 6 calls a quarter before 6pm and not on a Saturday or Sunday.
    So pick a number outside of your calling plan and phone for just under 1 minute each time until you have made 6.
    The first time do it anytime then after this wait 2 days after you get your bill then make 6 calls.
    Makes sure these calls are not 0906/ 0870/0844/0845 etc

To anyone else not on bt network. You can no longer use 1280 to dial out on bt network if your CPS > Carrier pre-select for example - talk talk.

Or get a BT Calling Card linked to your line account and make 6 calls anytiime during the Billing Quarter using the card.

I use a different call provider but get round the 1280 issue by using 1471 and pressing 3 to dial last number, means I can still make the number of chargeable call required.

kidcat;6770169

I use a different call provider but get round the 1280 issue by using … I use a different call provider but get round the 1280 issue by using 1471 and pressing 3 to dial last number, means I can still make the number of chargeable call required.

Did not work when I first tried that when I noticed 1280 was no longer working about 6 months ago. Might have been co's I dialed someone who is also on talk talk although it should have routed thru bt charges but was classed as free call on TT bill. Will try again with someone not on talk talk as it should really work unless talk talk are also doing something they should not be. gotta get CD switched back on first though got sick of paying the one off charges for non 6 calls

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice, seems like alot of hassle and is going to end up me being charged for at least six calls evey month just to get caller display so doesnt seem worth it, don't really need the 1571 as i've got an answer phone anyway.

If i cancel them both now will i get charged the costs they have stated even though i've only had them both a day? :?

steevieboy4u;6775944

Thanks for all the advice, seems like alot of hassle and is going to end … Thanks for all the advice, seems like alot of hassle and is going to end up me being charged for at least six calls evey month just to get caller display so doesnt seem worth it, don't really need the 1571 as i've got an answer phone anyway.

It's 6 calls a quarter, not per month. I have CPS and 1280 no longer works. As mentioned earlier I get around this by making 6 calls on a BT Calling Card that is linked to my landline account. Caller Display then costs me less than a quid a quarter.

Original Poster

Just cancelled them both anyway now as knowing me i'll end up forgetting to make the chargeable calls and them get hammered with their rip off fees every month.
    I'll probably get charged now for enabling them both for a day as well - Live and learn!
    I don't see why you should have to pay for caller display anyway, its not as if it costs BT anything extra for them to enable this on everyones telephone line. Rip off Britain strikes again.

Somebody;6777205

It's 6 calls a quarter, not per month. I have CPS and 1280 no longer … It's 6 calls a quarter, not per month. I have CPS and 1280 no longer works. As mentioned earlier I get around this by making 6 calls on a BT Calling Card that is linked to my landline account. Caller Display then costs me less than a quid a quarter.

It used to cost me just 30p + vat for 6 calls.

When I first signed up to bt privacy it was totally free, sly gits, they are always had a plan to charge after signing up millions on the premise that it would be free.

dontasciime;6770429

Did not work when I first tried that when I noticed 1280 was no longer … Did not work when I first tried that when I noticed 1280 was no longer working about 6 months ago. Might have been co's I dialed someone who is also on talk talk although it should have routed thru bt charges but was classed as free call on TT bill. Will try again with someone not on talk talk as it should really work unless talk talk are also doing something they should not be. gotta get CD switched back on first though got sick of paying the one off charges for non 6 calls

the 1280 doesnt work, but there was a big thread on MSE and it was pointed out that if you dial 1471 and then press 3 to return the last number who called you, it routes via BT and is therefore a chrageable call, as I have to make 10 per month to qualify for free line installation, its currently costing about £1.15 per month in call return fees. Still works out cheaper than paying for caller display and my line installation at £122.

Have checked my bt account online and the calls are showing up.

You guys do realise that chargeable or inclusive calls mean that you can use it with your inclusive calls

If you have free evening and weekend calls then phone your mate for free on the weekend. Its doesnt have to be a chargeable call.

kidcat;6779260

the 1280 doesnt work, but there was a big thread on MSE and it was … the 1280 doesnt work, but there was a big thread on MSE and it was pointed out that if you dial 1471 and then press 3 to return the last number who called you, it routes via BT and is therefore a chrageable call, as I have to make 10 per month to qualify for free line installation, its currently costing about £1.15 per month in call return fees. Still works out cheaper than paying for caller display and my line installation at £122. :)Have checked my bt account online and the calls are showing up.

You also realise that inclusive calls can help you here right?

If you have weekend calls free then make 10 inclusive free calls per month :thumbsup:

Starr;6779329

You also realise that inclusive calls can help you here right?If you have … You also realise that inclusive calls can help you here right?If you have weekend calls free then make 10 inclusive free calls per month :thumbsup:

But as I use a different call provider I can no longer bypass back to route call thru BT to get to make the chargeable calls, so use 1471 return call instead which carries a 10p per call fee anyway.

Before I could use 1280 at weekends and use my inclusive minutes and it didnt cost a penny, but 1280 doesnt work any more.

kidcat;6779557

But as I use a different call provider I can no longer bypass back to … But as I use a different call provider I can no longer bypass back to route call thru BT to get to make the chargeable calls, so use 1471 return call instead which carries a 10p per call fee anyway. Before I could use 1280 at weekends and use my inclusive minutes and it didnt cost a penny, but 1280 doesnt work any more.

Ahh i see, yes thats the only way to do it then :oops:

Original Poster

Starr;6779296

You guys do realise that chargeable or inclusive calls mean that you can … You guys do realise that chargeable or inclusive calls mean that you can use it with your inclusive callsIf you have free evening and weekend calls then phone your mate for free on the weekend. Its doesnt have to be a chargeable call.

Is this fact as this was my original question and understood from other peoples comments this wasnt the case?

My missus makes numerous 'free' (Evening and weekend) calls each month so wouldn't i get charged then? :thinking:

I might just re-activate them both and see if i get charged at the end of the month and if i do just bin it again :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608647
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1624
      3. What do these 2 men have in common1116
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764217

See more discussions