BT and Virgin “Hard Check” Credit Score

Posted 8th Oct
Originally went with virgin who have clearly done a hard search when taking out a landline.

Cancelled that contract within 14 days because they couldn’t live up to the promised speeds.

Went to BT.

I’m checking my ClearScore today and both are hard searches? My score has gone down. My credit rating is extremely good but I’m just a bit confused why they’d hard search me up.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
What "speed" is associated with a landline?
Soft searches tend to be ID + address check only. Hard searches will show the financial provider your payment performance and any detremental issues. When a provider is supplying you with credit (potentially up to a few months service costs inc any grace period), that provider may want some indication of the customer's financial history.
Unless changed recently: Sky do not credit check for combination of landline and broadband.
the question is 'why they wouldn't do a hard search when checking out a potential new customer'?
chocci08/10/2019 11:10

the question is 'why they wouldn't do a hard search when checking out a …the question is 'why they wouldn't do a hard search when checking out a potential new customer'?

Or I question why the OP didn't bother reading the order form? Just signed up to Virgin and it clearly says they will do hard search

Also your "credit score" means nothing, no one except you see it. Lenders don't care. They care about your credit history.
Edited by: "Myriad" 8th Oct
chocci08/10/2019 11:10

the question is 'why they wouldn't do a hard search when checking out a …the question is 'why they wouldn't do a hard search when checking out a potential new customer'?

Because the amount of credit provided is minimal, which is why Sky don't / didn't bother on ll+bb contracts, and just perform an ID+address check by a small refundable payment via debit card on signup.
You chose BT over Virgin for speed? Complete opposite for me, BT promise a pathetic 38mb but V promise 100mb, which most of the time it is.

I just wish any of the providers would provide a consistent service, none of them do.
Bigfootpete08/10/2019 12:34

You chose BT over Virgin for speed? Complete opposite for me, BT promise a …You chose BT over Virgin for speed? Complete opposite for me, BT promise a pathetic 38mb but V promise 100mb, which most of the time it is. I just wish any of the providers would provide a consistent service, none of them do.

All depends on area. Virgin wasn’t consistent enough with the speed, high ping rates.
Myriad08/10/2019 11:26

Or I question why the OP didn't bother reading the order form? Just signed …Or I question why the OP didn't bother reading the order form? Just signed up to Virgin and it clearly says they will do hard searchAlso your "credit score" means nothing, no one except you see it. Lenders don't care. They care about your credit history.

That’s fine thanks for clarifying it’s clear I didn’t read the terms I just though it’s weird for a hard search to appear on my record.
3ak08/10/2019 12:51

That’s fine thanks for clarifying it’s clear I didn’t read the terms I just …That’s fine thanks for clarifying it’s clear I didn’t read the terms I just though it’s weird for a hard search to appear on my record.

Pretty sure on the online order form there's a popup to continue when they ask and confirm the check. Anyways doesn't really matter, these hard searches will disappear after 12mo anyways and no big deal unless you got dozen in short period and want to apply for something big like a loan/mortgage
Edited by: "Myriad" 8th Oct
Don’t get to hung up on credit scores . It does not mean that much as long as you not missing payments ect or not replaying debt

Mine is 450 from 999 and I’ve just taken out a 275k mortgage with nO problem at all and I had two offers from two separate banks
Edited by: "ashmac" 8th Oct
ashmac08/10/2019 13:28

Don’t get to hung up on credit scores . It does not mean that much as long …Don’t get to hung up on credit scores . It does not mean that much as long as you not missing payments ect or not replaying debt Mine is 450 from 999 and I’ve just taken out a 275k mortgage with nO problem at all and I had two offers from two separate banks

487 atm from 520 but I guess I’m just knitpicking - appreciate the feedback
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants