Groups

BT anyone else recently been capped without prior notice

Please post here if anyone else has been recently capped after going over their download limit.
    I am supposedly on an unlimited which isnt as bt can at anytime say you are using too much download gbs.
    They dont have to give you any prior notice plus they say all exchanges can vary the download limit.This results in yor broadband speed being capped between peak times normally 5pm-12am until further notice ie if you go over the limit again the next month they cap you for another 30 days.
    And if you could post what area and the supposed limit you have gone over

15 Comments

What on Earth are you downloading?

Original Poster

Its more the point that i havnt downloaded anywhere near what they say.
    Also how can they call it unlimited when by them saying they limit what you download depending on what exchange it is.

I went over 80GB a couple of months ago and got capped at peak times to 1MB for the rest of the month.

I get limited every month. They say I download over 100gb. It's possible. Download your stuff overnight. If you think you aren't downloading that much, check your network security ,someone might be using your connection.

I'm on BT Unlimited, My broadband is always capped between 16:00 - 00:00

Only on p2p though, Everything else I download goes at a full measly 1.8mb.

I got one of those messages when I was on a different package, I had exceeded my download limit.

They said basically that if I want to download that much I should upgrade to unlimited, But was let off that time.

do they actually notify you that you have been capped??
    i'm wondering if this is what has happened to me, but I haven't had any notification

juiceblaster;7007090

do they actually notify you that you have been capped??i'm wondering if … do they actually notify you that you have been capped??i'm wondering if this is what has happened to me, but I haven't had any notification

I had an e-mail explaining why I had been.

hornblowerracing;7007095

I had an e-mail explaining why I had been.

ok thanks for that, maybe I will get one soon, 6 of us in the house, 5 laptops, 1 pc, ps3, and xbox 360, which all access internet, kids forever downloading as is OH, been having issues in the day but all good after midnight.

Original Poster

One of the reasons i am posting this is because i thought there was something wrong with my computer as they dont have to give you any prior notice not even if your are close to what ever limit they decide so its a heads up to anyone else with bt.

archer1204;7007170

One of the reasons i am posting this is because i thought there was … One of the reasons i am posting this is because i thought there was something wrong with my computer as they dont have to give you any prior notice not even if your are close to what ever limit they decide so its a heads up to anyone else with bt.

we've all been cursing and blaming the router, not blamed pc as all having same prob.

All of these "unlimited" products have in the selling somewhere say "subject to fair useage policy" and so that's why they then cap you etc, as they feel you've breached the fair useage policy...

I had this happen to me one month on Eclipse internet.

Also had a friend have this happen to her with her "unlimited" texts.

yeah this is all company's, I have the same problem with virgin media

Original Poster

just a quick heads up after speaking to a very nice lady at FUP department she explained that usage not only includes downloads but also streaming so if you watch alot of bbc iplayer,youtube etc just to let you know that counts toward your limit as it counts as a tempoary download also she said gaming is one of the biggest uses but i dont play online.

i managed to nearly get charged £5400 for going over "unlimited" internet... it wasnt unlimited just 200mb

archer1204;7009415

just a quick heads up after speaking to a very nice lady at FUP … just a quick heads up after speaking to a very nice lady at FUP department she explained that usage not only includes downloads but also streaming so if you watch alot of bbc iplayer,youtube etc just to let you know that counts toward your limit as it counts as a tempoary download also she said gaming is one of the biggest uses but i dont play online.

yes thats downloading too, it also counts upload, so for example:

downloading a 1gb torrent

Download 500mb
    Upload 500mb

=1gb total usage, so to finish it with the same upload rate it'd take 2gb usage
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions