BT are a JOKE!!

apparently i owe them £700!!!

Had the HomeHub v2.0 - with the HH Phone for about 6months (broke down in Jan-10), after so many calls and one call out they finally found that it was the HomeHub problem not my property or there side of things.
When the guy came and inspected, i thought he was going to give me a new HomeHub because i only had broadband with them for 6 months (took out 18month contract).

He left my HH, and said that they can't issue out replacements you have to get in touch with the CS and get them to send you a replacement.

i called and they said i have to pay for a brand new HUB!!!! £100!!
all the HUB ever did was sit there under my desk, never moved, never touched because its never had a problem. surely they don't just last 6months!!
so after so many calls trying to get a new HUB because i was paying for internet which i wasn't getting, they still wanted me to pay....so i switched broadbands and i am now with 02!!

today when i tried to make a general call, because my landline is BT, got a message basically saying i haven't paid a bill, please ring CS. so i did because i am 100% sure i paid my phone bill. They confirmed this over the phone but they said you have outstanding £700!!!! because you left broadband!! WTF!!! how is this possible??

anyone had shamble experience with BT? bloody joke!! and yes....i ain't paying a penny.

54 Comments

How long ago was this? (switch)

You've left your contract early so they've applied a term. fee. Hence the £700. And because they link them up then you're phone's been barred until payment made for broadband.

Does sound like you have legitimate issues, so complain to them (in writing).

£100 for a Homehub?! That's bad enough but £600 in other charges!? Where on earth did they pull that figure from? Out their derriere, clearly.

you owe them for the remainder of the 12 of 18 months, you broke the contract first.......................should've gone to OFCOM in the first

lol

you left a contract early and thought it would be ok

why do u think they have contracts in the first place.

i wouldnt say BT are a joke, i'd say you are.

Banned

You signed a contract with them so have to pay the remainder of the contract or a breaking contract fee. Did you not check with BT before going to 02?

davidn84;8049104

You've left your contract early so they've applied a term. fee. Hence the … You've left your contract early so they've applied a term. fee. Hence the £700. And because they link them up then you're phone's been barred until payment made for broadband.

While I agree that the contract was teminated early and a fee will be charged, it won't be £700.
That would work out at almost £60 a month charge, it isn't that much for BT broadband.

Original Poster

well i was fed up of not having broadband, signed with 02 first week of FEB got it all up and running mar-2nd, due to holiday

So how far were you into that contract, you must of been at the beginning surely?

Babbabooey;8049120

While I agree that the contract was teminated early and a fee will be … While I agree that the contract was teminated early and a fee will be charged, it won't be £700.That would work out at almost £60 a month charge, it isn't that much for BT broadband.

Plus an actual term. fee (usually about £70), plus router charge, possible engineers call out charge. Also late-payment charge/non-dd charge.

Original Poster

Paddy Charlie;8049114

You signed a contract with them so have to pay the remainder of the … You signed a contract with them so have to pay the remainder of the contract or a breaking contract fee. Did you not check with BT before going to 02?

i did, i advised them to cancel contract because they won't let me use their internet. They used the excuse that you have to pay for HH because you still have 12months left!!

Original Poster

ash90;8049146

i did, i advised them to cancel contract because they won't let me use … i did, i advised them to cancel contract because they won't let me use their internet. They used the excuse that you have to pay for HH because you still have 12months left!!

Surely it would of been cheaper to argue the toss about the router then asked for your details and bought yourself a cheaper router?

Banned

BT are brilliant, until things go wrong.

They stiffed me with a charge of £500 every other month from June 2009 right until I left the country in January. Whilst they admitted they billed me for broadband in advance from June (not sure what rate they were charging), they agreed it was an error. I was well outside my contracted period.

However despite the charge being lifted every month, it magically appeared the following month as being overdue. Unfortunately I paid whole bills by DD and for several months they claimed the entire amount, leaving me to request a refund via BT/Bank.

I thought it was all resolved in December, however my final bill in January claimed another £200 for breach of contract. It appears they corrected the account but failed to lift the minimum period flag which appeared in error.

Best bet, ignore the call centre. They seem very script based and offer nothing other than repeating the contents of the bill.

email btcare AT bt.com with your account number and landline. It's the only way to get a decent response and immediate action.

Good luck.

wow i thought i had bt problems but £700! whoa!

Banned

ash90;8049146

i did, i advised them to cancel contract because they won't let me use … i did, i advised them to cancel contract because they won't let me use their internet. They used the excuse that you have to pay for HH because you still have 12months left!!

You signed an 18 month contract so you can't cancel it unless it was within the terms and conditions. So you could be screwed unless you can show that the HH breaking was againist the terms

Why do people use companies that insist on long term contracts?.

I only use companies with a 30 day contract.

I feel for you, I have had many issues with these morons over years, if you want any way of resolving it, you have to go straight to the top,email the CEO of BT! thats what i did!

tbh you and bt have acted wrongly you should not have cancelled should have put it in writing given them time and them gone to otelo/ofcom. Whereas bt should have sorted out faulty stuff

How do the £700 charges break down.

When cancelling bb contract with BT there is a maximum amount you can be charged, do you mind breaking it down as BT must of sent you this by letter

Its your own fault, BT isnt a charity so im not surprised you were held to term when you switched. You agreed an 18 month CONTRACT so if u dont see it out you have to pay for it end of story!

You should have asked to make a formal complaint about the home hub rather than switch your service elsewhere!

BT a rubbish and not just their broadband, my dad makes overseas calls once in a while using a calling card, he has done this for years so he noes when it is in effect and when its a direct call

to cut a long story short BT wanted £300 from him because apparently he made direct overseas call, we did not pay and they backed off once their error was shown

Openreach engineers don't carry spare hubs/routers at the minute. An engineer visit costs around £200 plus a new hub charge of £100 there is £300

Original Poster

Paddy Charlie;8049172

You signed an 18 month contract so you can't cancel it unless it was … You signed an 18 month contract so you can't cancel it unless it was within the terms and conditions. So you could be screwed unless you can show that the HH breaking was against the terms

The guy who checked my house and hub gave me a signed report which clearly states that there is something wrong with the Internet side of the HUB because the phone on the hub still worked fine. He would of had to update records back at BT as well. so i don't see why they had a problem with issuing me a new HUB.

Original Poster

jase.2;8049622

Its your own fault, BT isnt a charity so im not surprised you were held … Its your own fault, BT isnt a charity so im not surprised you were held to term when you switched. You agreed an 18 month CONTRACT so if u dont see it out you have to pay for it end of story!You should have asked to make a formal complaint about the home hub rather than switch your service elsewhere!

and what would i do if i paid £100 for the new HUB, a month or so later another fault occurs? i am not paying another £100, i don't think anyone would!

ash90;8050158

The guy who checked my house and hub gave me a signed report which … The guy who checked my house and hub gave me a signed report which clearly states that there is something wrong with the Internet side of the HUB because the phone on the hub still worked fine. He would of had to update records back at BT as well. so i don't see why they had a problem with issuing me a new HUB.

In that case you should have stood your ground and argued that with them, rather than ending contract and breaking the agreement.

ash90;8050184

and what would i do if i paid £100 for the new HUB, a month or so later … and what would i do if i paid £100 for the new HUB, a month or so later another fault occurs? i am not paying another £100, i don't think anyone would!

Then you contact Consumer Direct and ask for some good advice about what your rights are with equipment thats gone faulty within 12 months.

aScottishBloke;8049165

BT are brilliant, until things go wrong.They stiffed me with a charge of … BT are brilliant, until things go wrong.They stiffed me with a charge of £500 every other month from June 2009 right until I left the country in January. Whilst they admitted they billed me for broadband in advance from June (not sure what rate they were charging), they agreed it was an error. I was well outside my contracted period.However despite the charge being lifted every month, it magically appeared the following month as being overdue. Unfortunately I paid whole bills by DD and for several months they claimed the entire amount, leaving me to request a refund via BT/Bank.I thought it was all resolved in December, however my final bill in January claimed another £200 for breach of contract. It appears they corrected the account but failed to lift the minimum period flag which appeared in error.Best bet, ignore the call centre. They seem very script based and offer nothing other than repeating the contents of the bill.email btcare AT bt.com with your account number and landline. It's the only way to get a decent response and immediate action.Good luck.

i bet you're multi-tasking!

a) posting on t'internet
b) sunbathing . . . . . jammy sod
c) drinking a virgin colada

Pls tellme that I'm wrong and I can stop being green . . . . . with envy

You can go off some ppl ya know

Banned

Do you have legal protection on your household insurance? If you do, contract disputes like this are exactly what its for. They will cut to the chase on who is at fault and if you would win (with their help) should you decide to take them on.

Paddy.... still no box..:?

Original Poster

bluepeter11;8049645

BT a rubbish and not just their broadband, my dad makes overseas calls … BT a rubbish and not just their broadband, my dad makes overseas calls once in a while using a calling card, he has done this for years so he noes when it is in effect and when its a direct callto cut a long story short BT wanted £300 from him because apparently he made direct overseas call, we did not pay and they backed off once their error was shown

family member had a smiliar problem, they charged him something like £150 becuase they claimed he had been making direct calls, as soon as he faxed his call logs of using a calling card. they realised they got it wrong, still didn't apologise so he lodged a complaint.

Banned

Bill de Sarce;8050204

i bet you're multi-tasking!a) posting on t'internetb) sunbathing . . . . … i bet you're multi-tasking!a) posting on t'internetb) sunbathing . . . . . jammy sodc) drinking a virgin coladaPls tellme that I'm wrong and I can stop being green . . . . . with envyYou can go off some ppl ya know

Current office position, sure makes dealing with BT less stressful.

]http//im…g/ :thumbsup:

aScottishBloke;8050345

Current office position, sure makes dealing with BT less stressful. … Current office position, sure makes dealing with BT less stressful. http://img684.yfrog.com/i/officef.jpg/ :thumbsup:

Thats either a broken link...or a clever joke about the position BT's UK call centres because all i'm getting is '404 not found'

Banned

No joke intended, although good point. Link sorted.

I feel for you. I hate BT with passion, when stuff goes wrong they are a nightmare to deal with. Their communication between departments is a joke which is ironic.

Just got a BT bill myself for £150, I understand about £60 but every bill I have had for the last 3 years they keep charging me late payment, payment processing and reconnection fees and I have to go to head office and get it refunded but of course this means its late so its system flags it late for the next bill.

Turns out I owed £15 from my last bill before christmas so they have charged 17.5% VAT for that(is that allowed since the bill was before christmas that they are adding on now?) Plus they charged me from January to March as 3 months instead of 2(as in start of january to start of March as 3 months)

Chidda;8050444

I feel for you. I hate BT with passion, when stuff goes wrong they are a … I feel for you. I hate BT with passion, when stuff goes wrong they are a nightmare to deal with. Their communication between departments is a joke which is ironic.

I get a lot of people complaining and they always say that for a communications company, the communication between departments is bad. It stopped being funny the first time someone said it to me over 2 years ago lol

ryouga;8050473

Just got a BT bill myself for £150, I understand about £60 but every bill … Just got a BT bill myself for £150, I understand about £60 but every bill I have had for the last 3 years they keep charging me late payment, payment processing and reconnection fees and I have to go to head office and get it refunded but of course this means its late so its system flags it late for the next bill.Turns out I owed £15 from my last bill before christmas so they have charged 17.5% VAT for that(is that allowed since the bill was before christmas that they are adding on now?) Plus they charged me from January to March as 3 months instead of 2(as in start of january to start of March as 3 months)

Why reconnection fee's on every bill? do you pay via direct debit?

aScottishBloke;8050345

Current office position, sure makes dealing with BT less stressful. … Current office position, sure makes dealing with BT less stressful. ]http://img684.yfrog.com/i/officef.jpg/ :thumbsup:

That's it, I'm off to the pub!

davidn84;8050498

Why reconnection fee's on every bill? do you pay via direct debit?

Yes but as they try and take out too much it bounces back and as the problems take abot 2 weeks to sort etc.

this is turning into a chester/cheshire/barbados thread
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949

See more discussions