Groups

Bt Broadband

hi all

i have just moved from sky broadband to bt infinity, long story short I never had any loss of WiFi with sky and now in the kitchen and the room above I seem to lose connection.

I've spoke to bt yesterday and they said a reset has been actioned and can take 48 hours... they will call me back to see if that's fixed it... I doubt it will work so want to know if anyone has advise on what options I have.

been told about extender but don't wanna pay as already paid 49 for an activation and 7.95 for a router...

12 Comments

The newer home hubs have dual band Wifi, which could be the reason for the issue you're facing. Take a look here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-hub

Edited by: "SupremeJaguar" 26th Aug 2016

same here, connection drops all the time, its been since april and they still have not rectified the issue, they are gonna keep making excuses and say theirs a fault in the line.

You really need to be looking at the channel your wireless router is broadcasting on. Try changing it as your neighbours' routers may be broadcasting on the same channel.

That's why I couldn't wait to leave BT, my non fiber connection always dropped out, I am now with SSE paying far less for fiber and connection has not dropped since.

Banned

I kept swapping between broadband providers over the last 15 yearsish & I can tell you know that each time (4 or 5) I have had issues with BT on a reasonably ongoing basis. Their routers are absolute carp.

Original Poster

devilsadv0cate

You really need to be looking at the channel your wireless router is … You really need to be looking at the channel your wireless router is broadcasting on. Try changing it as your neighbours' routers may be broadcasting on the same channel.

​I'm not technical at all, I didn't even know routers have different channels oO

In simple terms, the signal goes from your telephone exchange via boxes,poles etc. to you property up to your junction box. BT Wholesale are responsible for this - no matter who your ISP/telephone provider is (this is disregarding any cable supplier e.g. Virgin. ) Your ISP can be responsible for the switching gear and gubbins in the exchange and they are responsible for their own servers. The ISP is also responsible for any /modem/router they may supply. (The wireless signal from such routers vary tremendously and where your devices may have been fine with say Sky, when you switch to say BT, don't expect the wireless connections in your house to be the same - could be better, could be worse)

Because of the various different players, both technical and commercial, providing you with this end-2-end service - it can go wrong anywhere and trying to pin problems down is very difficult. That is why customer services in all the ISPs will try and eliminate all issues within your property first. And they want to determine the speed of the signal into your property, (try speedtest.net on a device that is connected via ethernet to your router)
    Of course, when you decide to give your wonga to whichever ISP very few people ask about the quality of their router and chase around to find how easy it is to configure them.

Sorry, to have digressed. OP asked for options:-
    1.Go back to sky with the exact same router you had before.
    2. Establish whether you could use old sky router (if you still have it) with infinity.
    3. Buy a really good new router and configure.
    4. homeplugs that utilise house electrical wiring in the effected places.
    5. experiment with channel switching
    6 wireless boosters
    7 others i have not thought of
    Edited by: "tardytortoise" 28th Aug 2016

Go to ofcoms site they do a great little app that analyses your wifi and compares channels to all others in your local area and lets you know if you will gain from switching channels.

Argoj

Go to ofcoms site they do a great little app that analyses your wifi and … Go to ofcoms site they do a great little app that analyses your wifi and compares channels to all others in your local area and lets you know if you will gain from switching channels.

poster is referring to this clicky link

Original Poster

thanks for all your comments really appreciate it

I kept getting dropouts and I analysed the radio spectrum to see what was going on. I noticed that there was an occasional spike in channel one when I was on channel 2. The spike was a very strong signal and when I changed channel up to 9 all was well. Try changing channel and you problems may be solved. Try installing inSSIder Home on your Laptop or WiFi Analyser on your phone to take a look o. who is on what channel around you. Move around your home for better analysis. Changing channels on your router is easy and can be Googled.

tardytortoise

poster is referring to this clicky link

Thank you. Thats the one.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. how do i join shop and scan ???33
      2. Gaming PC £700 / £800 budget11
      3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?78
      4. Jury service1824

See more discussions