Bt broadband

Found 6th Mar
hi I have bt broadband but some devices won't connect to it I.e sky q and a couple of tablets also 2 phones there are devices connected to it but I don't get why the others can't any help I would be grateful
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
Morning @knighty1YNWA - I have the BT Smarthub and SKY Q connected to it.

Two things to try if you haven't already - have you turned off smart setup as this can cause issues with a number of devices

bt.custhelp.com/app…ff

your admin info is on card on back of hub.

I also spilt the frequencies so 2.4 & 5 ghz show individually on wifi list

bt.custhelp.com/app…me)

both are very easy to do
Thanks for your help and ye I've done all you have suggested I've been in contact with bt since December they say there is a interference and there's nothing they can do
I found that the on demand was a bit laggy with Sky Q over wifi especially when downloading multiple episodes etc, yet Netflix and Amazon streamed to TV via wifi no problem.

Because of that I ended up connecting Sky Q to smarthub using two Powerline adapter plugs and ethernet cable (there's a little plastic cover on back of sky Q box that uncovers socket). I got the Passthrough type of plugs so didn't lose a socket, various types eg

33386148-zWiLd.jpg
This may bypass any issues you have with wifi. Also I didn't use WPS when connecting to router via wifi - I had a hub replaced then upgraded from Hub5 to smarthub so reconnected myself multiple times. You can also reset your connection and try a fresh wifi install in your Sky Q settings.
Edited by: "sigma" 6th Mar
I'm not sure if its these new smart hub 6 I googled it and on bt forum there's about 1000 pages of people complaining about it Ive got 4 devices connected to it wirelessly and I've had to connect the q box via ethernet but I feel like bt as put a stop on any other devices connecting to it
I have BT broadband with Sky Q, I split my bands and the Q box connects to the 2.4 GHz band.
I also have the Smart Hub, it can handle 65 devices connecting to it at once, never had any issues with it.
I had this problem, splitting the frequencies solved it for me.
_-Richie-_6th Mar

I have BT broadband with Sky Q, I split my bands and the Q box connects to …I have BT broadband with Sky Q, I split my bands and the Q box connects to the 2.4 GHz band.I also have the Smart Hub, it can handle 65 devices connecting to it at once, never had any issues with it.

Thanks for the advice problem I have when I split the frequencies nothing can sign into the 2.4Ghz
richje10015 h, 48 m ago

I had this problem, splitting the frequencies solved it for me.

Tried that but for some reason nothing can sign into the 2.4Ghz
knighty1YNWA2 h, 47 m ago

Maybe you have a different password set for the 2.4ghz
chocci2 h, 3 m ago

Maybe you have a different password set for the 2.4ghz

No mate same password but if I can get something to sign into it I get 0.01Mg upload speed and 0.0Mg download speed
knighty1YNWA4 h, 52 m ago

Did u change the name of the band? I'll log in to my router when I get home from work and look at what I did. Can't remember off the top of my head
richje1002 m ago

Did u change the name of the band? I'll log in to my router when I get …Did u change the name of the band? I'll log in to my router when I get home from work and look at what I did. Can't remember off the top of my head

No mate I just logged into the router and split the frequency if I do manage to sign into the 2.4Ghz I try a speed test and it tell me no network found
It sounds like, as BT says, you may have interference from something else in your house or nearby at that frequency.

I would turn off everything electrical in your house (ideally at the plug) except the router and one 2.4Ghz-only wi-fi device and see if that solves the issue. If it connects fine then it's likely something under your control and you can fix the issue. Start turning things back on one by one and see when the problems start.

If it's not something in your house then you'll either have to chat with your neighbours or work around it. Static devices can be set up with a wi-fi bridge where they connect to a box via ethernet that connects to your router via 5Ghz wi-fi.

Mobile devices are trickier, you'll just have to make sure future devices have 5Ghz support.
EndlessWaves2 m ago

It sounds like, as BT says, you may have interference from something else …It sounds like, as BT says, you may have interference from something else in your house or nearby at that frequency.I would turn off everything electrical in your house (ideally at the plug) except the router and one 2.4Ghz-only wi-fi device and see if that solves the issue. If it connects fine then it's likely something under your control and you can fix the issue. Start turning things back on one by one and see when the problems start.If it's not something in your house then you'll either have to chat with your neighbours or work around it. Static devices can be set up with a wi-fi bridge where they connect to a box via ethernet that connects to your router via 5Ghz wi-fi.Mobile devices are trickier, you'll just have to make sure future devices have 5Ghz support.

Its strange ive been with them for a couple of years without a problem I signed up to a new contract with them beginning of December 2 weeks later this all started
Knighty here's what I got and that's all I did
33395969-kQBSm.jpg
They recommend to move the channel as far away as possible to end of the list to stop interference.
richje1008 m ago

Knighty here's what I got and that's all I did[Image]

Did you switch smart setup off mate?
knighty1YNWA46 s ago

Did you switch smart setup off mate?

Yes pal. First thing I did.
richje1008 m ago

They recommend to move the channel as far away as possible to end of the …They recommend to move the channel as far away as possible to end of the list to stop interference.

Does your 2.5Ghz only go up to 6
knighty1YNWA37 m ago

Does your 2.5Ghz only go up to 6

Yes by the looks of it pal
knighty1YNWA6 h, 23 m ago

Thanks for the advice problem I have when I split the frequencies nothing …Thanks for the advice problem I have when I split the frequencies nothing can sign into the 2.4Ghz

I renamed the 5 GHz to 5G at the end, 2.4 GHz left as the default SSID.
I also disabled smart setup, apart from that no other changes.
richje10013 h, 25 m ago

Yes by the looks of it pal

Can I ask mate if you sign anything into the 2.4Ghz do you get the same speeds as the 5ghz
_-Richie-_7th Mar

I renamed the 5 GHz to 5G at the end, 2.4 GHz left as the default SSID.I …I renamed the 5 GHz to 5G at the end, 2.4 GHz left as the default SSID.I also disabled smart setup, apart from that no other changes.

Cheers mate jest haven't got a clue what's going on with my internet
knighty1YNWA7 m ago

Can I ask mate if you sign anything into the 2.4Ghz do you get the same …Can I ask mate if you sign anything into the 2.4Ghz do you get the same speeds as the 5ghz

I can't remember if my sky q uses this frequency or if it's the 5ghz but I just leave everything connect as normal.
richje1001 m ago

I can't remember if my sky q uses this frequency or if it's the 5ghz but I …I can't remember if my sky q uses this frequency or if it's the 5ghz but I just leave everything connect as normal.

Ok thanks mate appreciate your help
knighty1YNWA21 m ago

Ok thanks mate appreciate your help

No worries.
richje10010th Mar

@knighty1YNWA any joy?

No mate they supposed to be sending me out a hub 5 to see if that works?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants