BT broadband

Posted 1st Feb
Hello just signed up for a two year contract with BT £39.99 with a £100 voucher (not sure how easy that is to claim?) Speeds up to 76mb, hoping I have done the right thing...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

37 Comments
Sounds exspensive and two year contract, its not for me buddy. Sorry...
easy to claim, think takes a few weeks to come through email, mine is £29.99 for similar speeds and I got £130 that was a year ago so think you have overpaid there
Perspective. I pay £21 for Vodafone Superfast broadband. 55 Mbps guaranteed minimum download speed or money back.

For the last few months I've only been getting 54mb for some reason. However they give me a 15% discount each month its below so I've been paying £17.25 for it. Sure I could contact them and complain but it's been very consistent at that speed and I'd rather have the discount
Well overpaid,
I know it's a bit "soul crushing" and not really what you want to hear but as others have said - that does sound quite a lot. I take it this is as a 'new' customer and not a renewal deal? I can't really give you a comparison as I've been with my ISP for many, many years - and it's the company everyone loves to hate! My latest "deal" is an 18 month contract - superfast fiber - £19.95/month but that INCLUDES all calls to landline/mobiles for the whole contract. I'm very happy with the service so am satisfied to remain.

Was that the best deal you could find after researching suppliers? If you are still within a 'cooling off' period, there's still time to look again and switch...

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix01/02/2020 12:52

I know it's a bit "soul crushing" and not really what you want to hear but …I know it's a bit "soul crushing" and not really what you want to hear but as others have said - that does sound quite a lot. I take it this is as a 'new' customer and not a renewal deal? I can't really give you a comparison as I've been with my ISP for many, many years - and it's the company everyone loves to hate! My latest "deal" is an 18 month contract - superfast fiber - £19.95/month but that INCLUDES all calls to landline/mobiles for the whole contract. I'm very happy with the service so am satisfied to remain.Was that the best deal you could find after researching suppliers? If you are still within a 'cooling off' period, there's still time to look again and switch...All the best, Phsy.

Presume you mean Virgin? I'm with them, Broadband only and its now up to around £40 a month. How did you get so cheap?
alcopop01/02/2020 12:57

Presume you mean Virgin? I'm with them, Broadband only and its now up to …Presume you mean Virgin? I'm with them, Broadband only and its now up to around £40 a month. How did you get so cheap?

If you get it with a phone line or as a full bundle it is cheaper than on its own
Arto01/02/2020 12:58

If you get it with a phone line or as a full bundle it is cheaper than on …If you get it with a phone line or as a full bundle it is cheaper than on its own

Is that as an existing customer?
alcopop01/02/2020 13:01

Both existing and new customers. It always costs more with Virgin if you get just broadband by itself
alcopop01/02/2020 13:01

For example new customer offers. M200 broadband by itself £47pm, big bundle which includes M200, talk weekends and 110+ channels £33pm
alcopop01/02/2020 12:57

Presume you mean Virgin? I'm with them, Broadband only and its now up to …Presume you mean Virgin? I'm with them, Broadband only and its now up to around £40 a month. How did you get so cheap?

Nope. Not Virgin. I would've said but then I'd need to don a Flak Jacket to fend of the shrapnel from all the "You must be mad!" comments I usually receive! Hehe.

Let's just say I don't Talk (cough!) Talk about them too loudly...
Phsycronix01/02/2020 13:18

Nope. Not Virgin. I would've said but then I'd need to don a Flak Jacket …Nope. Not Virgin. I would've said but then I'd need to don a Flak Jacket to fend of the shrapnel from all the "You must be mad!" comments I usually receive! Hehe. Let's just say I don't Talk (cough!) Talk about them too loudly...

They duck
Phsycronix01/02/2020 13:18

Nope. Not Virgin. I would've said but then I'd need to don a Flak Jacket …Nope. Not Virgin. I would've said but then I'd need to don a Flak Jacket to fend of the shrapnel from all the "You must be mad!" comments I usually receive! Hehe. Let's just say I don't Talk (cough!) Talk about them too loudly...

best not to talk and talk about it then!
Just looking to find a way to reduce my broadband bill as seems too high at £45.48 for M200 seems a lot.
alcopop01/02/2020 13:21

best not to talk and talk about it then! Just looking to find a way to …best not to talk and talk about it then! Just looking to find a way to reduce my broadband bill as seems too high at £45.48 for M200 seems a lot.

The ONLY weapon you have in your arsenal is the threat to leave. Some DO still want to keep you as a customer - especially if you butter them up with "I've been with you for so long and don't really wish to leave but you're giving me no choice" beforehand. Also, don't take the first line operator's word as the final one. My first offer was a less than impressive £21.95/month on standard ADSL BB with free calls for only 6 months. Get through to the next line - e.g. disconnections/loyalty/retention's team and they can offer bigger discounts.

Do your homework - be prepared to leave if you really have to. A hollow threat is fine if you are prepared to go; tail twixt legs; later and ask to stay. The odd 'white lie' of an alternative lower quote - whilst morally questionable - can also work too. If they ask which supplier, just say you'd rather not mention them. They play dirty sometimes, so why shouldn't we?

It's cat and mouse with ISP's. As with Tom and Jerry - the mouse CAN win...
Arto01/02/2020 13:21

They duck

?????

39812730-v9TO0.jpg
You "quack" me up!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 1st Feb
did u rember ur quidco op?
BT are always most expensive. But I’ve been with plusnet and had connection issues. Moved to Vodafone and although promised 74mb only getting 50mb at top. And because of all the devices would randomly get disconnected. But with BT you get Good permanent connection and excellent Wi-fi speeds through their router. I’d rather pay more and get decent speeds. My Alexa devices were constantly saying cannot connect to the internet. But problem solved now. And they support the new “ipv6”
Edited by: "dazza79" 1st Feb
£40 and only 1 lot of cashback and a 2 year contract, thats very poor.

Should be £10 cheaper, 18 months max and 2 lots of cashback (i think i got £100+ back off topcashback and a £100 bt rewards card.
m1keyp1key01/02/2020 15:08

£40 and only 1 lot of cashback and a 2 year contract, thats very poor. …£40 and only 1 lot of cashback and a 2 year contract, thats very poor. Should be £10 cheaper, 18 months max and 2 lots of cashback (i think i got £100+ back off topcashback and a £100 bt rewards card.

Believe no non-RPI cost-rise guarantee included so no doubt OP could leave at no penalty at first opportunity, so still likely to achieve similar two-cashback (or greater!) opportunities within equiv contract term.
AndyRoyd01/02/2020 15:46

Believe no non-RPI cost-rise guarantee included so no doubt OP could leave …Believe no non-RPI cost-rise guarantee included so no doubt OP could leave at no penalty at first opportunity, so still likely to achieve similar two-cashback (or greater!) opportunities within equiv contract term.

Could get lucky then, but i'd rather get a better deal in the first place and not rely on luck.

I don't understand why the op starts a thread asking if he's done the right thing rather than asking for advice beforehand.
m1keyp1key01/02/2020 15:58

Could get lucky then, but i'd rather get a better deal in the first place …Could get lucky then, but i'd rather get a better deal in the first place and not rely on luck...

Some would say a successful Quidco / TCB payout was down to luck...
AndyRoyd01/02/2020 16:00

Some would say a successful Quidco / TCB payout was down to luck... …Some would say a successful Quidco / TCB payout was down to luck...

Not me, always get my fibre payout without issue, had sky twice, bt twice, nowtv once.
m1keyp1key01/02/2020 16:01

Not me, always get my fibre payout without issue, had sky twice, bt twice, …Not me, always get my fibre payout without issue, had sky twice, bt twice, nowtv once.

Most peeps acknowledge that 3rd-party cashback (Quidco/TCB/similar) is a bonus not a guarantee. Some even need to provide photo ID in an attempt to legitimise the 3rd-party cashback claim hotukdeals.com/dis…292
AndyRoyd01/02/2020 16:07

Most peeps acknowledge that 3rd-party cashback (Quidco/TCB/similar) is a …Most peeps acknowledge that 3rd-party cashback (Quidco/TCB/similar) is a bonus not a guarantee. Some even need to provide photo ID in an attempt to legitimise the 3rd-party cashback claim https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/top-cashback-wants-my-id-3398292

And some people dont. Doesn't matter either way though because the op got a poor deal.
dazza7901/02/2020 14:26

BT are always most expensive. But I’ve been with plusnet and had c …BT are always most expensive. But I’ve been with plusnet and had connection issues. Moved to Vodafone and although promised 74mb only getting 50mb at top. And because of all the devices would randomly get disconnected. But with BT you get Good permanent connection and excellent Wi-fi speeds through their router. I’d rather pay more and get decent speeds. My Alexa devices were constantly saying cannot connect to the internet. But problem solved now. And they support the new “ipv6”

That was my thinking, you get what you pay for. I have been with PlusNet and Vodafone and both had issues. But with BT none...
Phsycronix01/02/2020 13:34

The ONLY weapon you have in your arsenal is the threat to leave. Some DO …The ONLY weapon you have in your arsenal is the threat to leave. Some DO still want to keep you as a customer - especially if you butter them up with "I've been with you for so long and don't really wish to leave but you're giving me no choice" beforehand. Also, don't take the first line operator's word as the final one. My first offer was a less than impressive £21.95/month on standard ADSL BB with free calls for only 6 months. Get through to the next line - e.g. disconnections/loyalty/retention's team and they can offer bigger discounts.Do your homework - be prepared to leave if you really have to. A hollow threat is fine if you are prepared to go; tail twixt legs; later and ask to stay. The odd 'white lie' of an alternative lower quote - whilst morally questionable - can also work too. If they ask which supplier, just say you'd rather not mention them. They play dirty sometimes, so why shouldn't we?It's cat and mouse with ISP's. As with Tom and Jerry - the mouse CAN win...

Who would you recommend then? I don't mind dumping Virgin. Not sure if would need a landline installing as only had Virgin broadband only since moving. Also I dont want any TV packages.
alcopop01/02/2020 18:30

Who would you recommend then? I don't mind dumping Virgin. Not sure if …Who would you recommend then? I don't mind dumping Virgin. Not sure if would need a landline installing as only had Virgin broadband only since moving. Also I dont want any TV packages.

Many providers will not give you broadband without paying for phone line as that is how they give you the broadband itself. Virgin done charge you a rental fee as they use there phones through the broadband round not a standard phone line
Think Virgin heard! connectyion now super laggy!
I like the speed of virgin, but I don't need it so fast and would prefer to save some money. Virgin new customer offers semm good, but would need to witch away first.
alcopop01/02/2020 19:43

I like the speed of virgin, but I don't need it so fast and would prefer …I like the speed of virgin, but I don't need it so fast and would prefer to save some money. Virgin new customer offers semm good, but would need to witch away first.

wouldnt work for cashback though?
alcopop01/02/2020 18:30

Who would you recommend then? I don't mind dumping Virgin. Not sure if …Who would you recommend then? I don't mind dumping Virgin. Not sure if would need a landline installing as only had Virgin broadband only since moving. Also I dont want any TV packages.

Hi alcopop. Seriously - I can't recommend anyone. It wouldn't be my place to as I've only even known two ISP's - and one of those bought the other out! I have had years of good experience with mine but; overall; they have a dreadful track record. I do hear people praise Plusnet a lot on here but then there are equal amounts of people who complain. I think they ALL have good and bad points.

If you want to save money, just try another provider who's good value. It's all luck really as you might have a great experience - or a really bad one. No one has a crystal ball. In fact, on MSE I believe they are saying the Post Office is their current "best buy" for std fiber, Vodafone for superfast Fiber and Shell Energy for standard ADSL BB. It changes pretty much week to week; mind; as it's a money merry-go-round. That's another story though (and my personal conspiracy theory!) so I won't dwell on that. Check them out if you haven't considered them as a supplier.

@Craig2018 Your question was - "Have I done the right thing?" Well, if you are happy paying the money and are content with BT's service then; yes; you have done the right thing. But for YOU. Value-wise, you would be able to do much better - but I think you know that anyway. In the world of ISP's - I'm not sure it IS a case of you get what you pay for. I think it's more dependent on the infrastructure in place at your locale. Many have complained about BT too and swear never to return to them. Swings and roundabouts...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 1st Feb
Phsycronix01/02/2020 21:18

Hi alcopop. Seriously - I can't recommend anyone. It wouldn't be my place …Hi alcopop. Seriously - I can't recommend anyone. It wouldn't be my place to as I've only even known two ISP's - and one of those bought the other out! I have had years of good experience with mine but; overall; they have a dreadful track record. I do hear people praise Plusnet a lot on here but then there are equal amounts of people who complain. I think they ALL have good and bad points.If you want to save money, just try another provider who's good value. It's all luck really as you might have a great experience - or a really bad one. No one has a crystal ball. In fact, on MSE I believe they are saying the Post Office is their current "best buy" for std fiber, Vodafone for superfast Fiber and Shell Energy for standard ADSL BB. It changes pretty much week to week; mind; as it's a money merry-go-round. That's another story though (and my personal conspiracy theory!) so I won't dwell on that. Check them out if you haven't considered them as a supplier.@Craig2018 Your question was - "Have I done the right thing?" Well, if you are happy paying the money and are content with BT's service then; yes; you have done the right thing. But for YOU. Value-wise, you would be able to do much better - but I think you know that anyway. In the world of ISP's - I'm not sure it IS a case of you get what you pay for. I think it's more dependent on the infrastructure in place at your locale. Many have complained about BT too and swear never to return to them. Swings and roundabouts...

Just been looking, Shell have up to 38mbps broadbandfor £24.99 a month, inc line rental, no installation charge, £100 topcashbaack and £50 amazon voucher.
alcopop03/02/2020 14:34

Just been looking, Shell have up to 38mbps broadbandfor £24.99 a month, …Just been looking, Shell have up to 38mbps broadbandfor £24.99 a month, inc line rental, no installation charge, £100 topcashbaack and £50 amazon voucher.

Well, that sounds ok doesn't it? I'm a bit "old skool" and prefer a cheaper monthly price than all these "voucher" thingies - so I always barter with my ISP. I know I could do better switching too but I'm also of the thinking "Better the devil you know."

I know MSE always say "Factor in the voucher value and that makes your contract £xxx per month" instead but I can never see it like that as the vouchers are something you HAVE to spend in order to save. I probably wouldn't have spent the voucher value on anything in particular so it's not as attractive to me as it is to others.

I haven't seen much feedback about Shell as an ISP (not sure they've been doing it that long?) but I guess there's only one way to find out. What length of contract do they tie you in to? 18/24 months?
Phsycronix03/02/2020 14:44

Well, that sounds ok doesn't it? I'm a bit "old skool" and prefer a …Well, that sounds ok doesn't it? I'm a bit "old skool" and prefer a cheaper monthly price than all these "voucher" thingies - so I always barter with my ISP. I know I could do better switching too but I'm also of the thinking "Better the devil you know."I know MSE always say "Factor in the voucher value and that makes your contract £xxx per month" instead but I can never see it like that as the vouchers are something you HAVE to spend in order to save. I probably wouldn't have spent the voucher value on anything in particular so it's not as attractive to me as it is to others.I haven't seen much feedback about Shell as an ISP (not sure they've been doing it that long?) but I guess there's only one way to find out. What length of contract do they tie you in to? 18/24 months?

18 months. The cashback isn't too bad, if, it comes through, Would be effectively £19.43 a month over the contract plus £50.00 Amazon voucher.
alcopop03/02/2020 14:50

18 months. The cashback isn't too bad, if, it comes through, Would be …18 months. The cashback isn't too bad, if, it comes through, Would be effectively £19.43 a month over the contract plus £50.00 Amazon voucher.

Sounds fair to me. Even @Craig2018 might have liked the sound of it - unless he needed superfast speed...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions