BT broadband, new customer?

Found 8th Apr
As we know, all the best BT broadband deals are for new customers.

Currently someone else in the pays the broadband bill. (Mum)

Can she cancel her contract and then I start a new contract to take advantage of the new customer offers?

Would I be counted as a new customer? Has anyone done this before?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments
If you do this you will have to wait roughly two weeks to have internet again. We had a similar issue not for this reason but we went passed the close date by a day and when trying to start a new contract and rejoin they stated it would take two weeks to set up the account and broadband line. Nightmare
Yes
Your mum rings up, gives 30 day notice, then if just normal broadband you can go online same day and apply in new name and then the new person takes it over, you lose phone number. If fibre to the home, ring give notice, wait for a week or two or even same day, go online apply but you then have to wait until the 30 days is up before you can take over, it takes about three days after that if you're lucky. Again you lose number and email address. Rewards card is hit and miss especially if the order fails
You don't have to cancel your Mum's line and BB, just order your new service, this will take over the line and close the previous account down, unless she has BT Mobile or BT Sport on Sky, they're standalone products with no BB dependancy and require manually ceasing.
You will lose your Mum's phone number and any email addresses setup on her account but you'll only go a matter of minutes without service by taking over the line, rather than several weeks/days by ceasing and rejoining as you can't take over a line with a pending stop request.

Alternatively, contact them on your Mum's account and ask for the loyalty team, ask them to match the new customer price but you won't get the reward card, you won't have setup costs either and will be on a lower rate sooner than starting new.

Another thing to factor in is if your Mum has Infinity 1, she would of had a free speed bost in November, so rejoining means you lose that boost, any other product makes no difference.
BT AWFUL avoid at all costs do not be fooled by any incentive!!
I have done this by switching the account from my name to my wife. Didn't care about losing the phone number, don't use it anyway. Service in our neighbourhood is excellent with consistent speed above 45 Mbps.
ItWasNotMe8th Apr

You don't have to cancel your Mum's line and BB, just order your new …You don't have to cancel your Mum's line and BB, just order your new service, this will take over the line and close the previous account down...

Highly unlikely any service provider will cease an existing customer's service without the existing customer confirming cessation.
AndyRoyd16 m ago

Highly unlikely any service provider will cease an existing customer's …Highly unlikely any service provider will cease an existing customer's service without the existing customer confirming cessation.

A letter, email and text will be sent to the BT customer (OP's Mum) to inform them that another provider (BT) has requested to take over the line, if incorrect please contact otherwise the switch will happen.
ItWasNotMe17 m ago

A letter, email and text will be sent to the BT customer (OP's Mum) to …A letter, email and text will be sent to the BT customer (OP's Mum) to inform them that another provider (BT) has requested to take over the line, if incorrect please contact otherwise the switch will happen.

That usually occurs when the existing customer initiates transfer of the service via another provider taking over the existing service. In OPs instance, the existing customer is not initiating the transfer. If BT now allow anybody to take over an existing line without instruction from the existing customer, then OK, but it certainly does not appear within BTs current leaving / termination options in its t&c at productsandservices.bt.com/pro…tml
thomasleep23 h, 56 m ago

BT AWFUL avoid at all costs do not be fooled by any incentive!!

Have too agree with this. Still waiting to get install. 4 weeks since I have ordered. Had 1 rescheduled appointment, was suppose to get install tomorrow but got cancelled order at 6.20pm. Been 10 days with no internet. No proper communication as I had to do all the chasing. Wish I never signed up to BT now.
AndyRoyd44 m ago

That usually occurs when the existing customer initiates transfer of the …That usually occurs when the existing customer initiates transfer of the service via another provider taking over the existing service. In OPs instance, the existing customer is not initiating the transfer. If BT now allow anybody to take over an existing line without instruction from the existing customer, then OK, but it certainly does not appear within BTs current leaving / termination options in its t&c at https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

An advice of takeover or an advice of transfer, both result in the original account closing, it makes no difference.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants