BT broadband price increase?

Found 26th Jun
Did anyone get an email saying their monthly broadband prices will increase on 16 September 2018. Can we cancel our contract with BT and find someone else?
Community Updates
Ask
39 Comments
I have received it but I'm still in contract and also moving house, so I'm trying to keep calm for now!
As per OFCOM guidelines, if you are subject to any price increase in the duration of your contract, you can give 30 days notice and cancel with cancellation charges.
r4w8025 m ago

I have received it but I'm still in contract and also moving house, so I'm …I have received it but I'm still in contract and also moving house, so I'm trying to keep calm for now!

You can still leave.
eslick8 m ago

You can still leave.

I will not have much choices there.. also I believe I can have fibre directly (no copper) with them. But still checking
KingNav36028 m ago

As per OFCOM guidelines, if you are subject to any price increase in the …As per OFCOM guidelines, if you are subject to any price increase in the duration of your contract, you can give 30 days notice and cancel with cancellation charges.

With or without cancellation charges? 30 days is before the increase starts?
30 days to cancel or you can switch, you have to act within 30 days of being notified to leave without charges.
You can also take the option to freeze your broadband/line for what ever current price you have for 18 months.
r4w8020 m ago

I will not have much choices there.. also I believe I can have fibre …I will not have much choices there.. also I believe I can have fibre directly (no copper) with them. But still checking With or without cancellation charges? 30 days is before the increase starts?

As soon as you get the email, you can cancel free of charge, you have 30 days from the email date.
Only been with them since January on a great cashback deal. Back to EE later on it would seem!
r4w802 h, 9 m ago

I will not have much choices there.. also I believe I can have fibre …I will not have much choices there.. also I believe I can have fibre directly (no copper) with them. But still checking With or without cancellation charges? 30 days is before the increase starts?

Without sorry
Got the email yesterday but struggling to find anything decent to switch to. The email says I have 30 days to cancel the service without penalties or 14 days if I am switching.
bozo0072 h, 24 m ago

Got the email yesterday but struggling to find anything decent to switch …Got the email yesterday but struggling to find anything decent to switch to. The email says I have 30 days to cancel the service without penalties or 14 days if I am switching.

you'd think the competition would take advantage but likewise, i can't see anything speedy and attractive.
eslick8 h, 53 m ago

As soon as you get the email, you can cancel free of charge, you have 30 …As soon as you get the email, you can cancel free of charge, you have 30 days from the email date.

I'm wondering now if they will reimburse me the line saver too... Plusnet almost denied to me that when they couldn't deliver the speed promised. I'm ok to keep BT anyway for the moment, as long as I will have internet in my next house!
r4w809 m ago

I'm wondering now if they will reimburse me the line saver too... Plusnet …I'm wondering now if they will reimburse me the line saver too... Plusnet almost denied to me that when they couldn't deliver the speed promised. I'm ok to keep BT anyway for the moment, as long as I will have internet in my next house!

theguardian.com/mon…ice

theguardian.com/mon…tor
eslick41 m ago

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-servicehttps://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/26/bt-wont-refund-line-rental-leaving-regulator

That's why I said I had to fight Plusnet and why I record all my phone calls A customer service representative told me (in chat, even better) that I could get the linesaver back to and in the end they had to refund me that too.
But as the articles say, they don't normally do that which is a shame.
bozo0074 h, 29 m ago

Got the email yesterday but struggling to find anything decent to switch …Got the email yesterday but struggling to find anything decent to switch to. The email says I have 30 days to cancel the service without penalties or 14 days if I am switching.

Same here.

It's too bad as the service has been very good. I might end up just keeping it because there's nothing better available atm - not very HUKD-esque of me at all!

I think it equates to an extra £2.50 a month for me.
Edited by: "djbenny1" 27th Jun
r4w802 h, 10 m ago

I'm wondering now if they will reimburse me the line saver too... Plusnet …I'm wondering now if they will reimburse me the line saver too... Plusnet almost denied to me that when they couldn't deliver the speed promised. I'm ok to keep BT anyway for the moment, as long as I will have internet in my next house!

You'll be refunded for line rental saver for how ever many months/weeks are remaining at the time you leave or switch.
djbenny115 m ago

Same here.It's too bad as the service has been very good. I might end up …Same here.It's too bad as the service has been very good. I might end up just keeping it because there's nothing better available atm - not very HUKD-esque of me at all!I think it equates to an extra £2.50 a month for me.

You can freeze your current BB price for 18 months, either by calling them or through bt.com/mybt and view your bespoke offer.
I agree. Not sure if there's anything out there which compares with last years black friday deal.

If I cancelled and got my brother to sign up, taking advantge of quidco or TCB, would that work?
_-Richie-_3 h, 34 m ago

You can freeze your current BB price for 18 months, either by calling them …You can freeze your current BB price for 18 months, either by calling them or through www.bt.com/mybt and view your bespoke offer.

Just checked my 'bespoke' offer and its £54.99 for line rental & fibre. I currently pay £27.99 for the same deal! I'll be leaving BT come september
Mine says 29.99 for 50mb, I swear I was getting more then this, but when I checked on the app it says I'm paying 29.99 for 50mb already.

So my question is should I extend, or try and get money off? - so it would be the same price but in another 18 month contract cheers
Jonnoy21 h, 1 m ago

Only been with them since January on a great cashback deal. Back to EE …Only been with them since January on a great cashback deal. Back to EE later on it would seem!

How have EE been with you? Looking at leaving BT because I've only been with them for 3 months yet will now be paying £32.50 a month, but can get EE for £25 + £75 reward card + cashback
I signed up in January gone and got £80 cash back & £125 master card for 18 months
if i choose to leave cos of the price hike is the (£80 cash back & £125 master card) safe?
or will i have to pay a penalty fee?
Edited by: "maxmax" 27th Jun
@maxmax You should have received (and spent!) the MasterCard already. You should get the cashback too.
terriclarkfan7 m ago

@maxmax You should have received (and spent!) the MasterCard already. You …@maxmax You should have received (and spent!) the MasterCard already. You should get the cashback too.

Cash back yes in my bank and I have the card but only spent £25 out of the £125 so far
but will there be will i have to pay a penalty fee? cos of me getting the £80 cash back & £125 master card) or not? or it does not matter, TIA
Edited by: "maxmax" 27th Jun
badger26092 h, 11 m ago

How have EE been with you? Looking at leaving BT because I've only been …How have EE been with you? Looking at leaving BT because I've only been with them for 3 months yet will now be paying £32.50 a month, but can get EE for £25 + £75 reward card + cashback

I had 18 months with them before this stint with BT, never ran into any issues, needed a phone call to add the data boost to my SIM card, no wiggle room when I first left them for BT though.
maxmax8 h, 6 m ago

Cash back yes in my bank and I have the card but only spent £25 out of the …Cash back yes in my bank and I have the card but only spent £25 out of the £125 so farbut will there be will i have to pay a penalty fee? cos of me getting the £80 cash back & £125 master card) or not? or it does not matter, TIA

You won't lose either of them and there won't be any fees. Don't worry. Not even BT is that petty.
maxmax8 h, 35 m ago

I signed up in January gone and got £80 cash back & £125 master card for 1 …I signed up in January gone and got £80 cash back & £125 master card for 18 monthsif i choose to leave cos of the price hike is the (£80 cash back & £125 master card) safe?or will i have to pay a penalty fee?

I did similar in September but subsequent price increases haven't been applied to my account
chocci4 h, 10 m ago

I did similar in September but subsequent price increases haven't been …I did similar in September but subsequent price increases haven't been applied to my account

I got email but i can keep the same price if i renew for another 18 months or it goes up to £32.49 for the rest of my contact till about this time next year.
34167135-MpfUe.jpg
maxmax6 m ago

I got email but i can keep the same price if i renew for another 18 months …I got email but i can keep the same price if i renew for another 18 months or it goes up to £32.49 for the rest of my contact till about this time next year.[Image]

I'd be looking elsewhere then rather than renewing. My current bt deal works out at £8.50 per month after tcb and reward at. Same speed as yours.
chocci2 m ago

I'd be looking elsewhere then rather than renewing. My current bt deal …I'd be looking elsewhere then rather than renewing. My current bt deal works out at £8.50 per month after tcb and reward at. Same speed as yours.

I`m going to call them and see if i can get a better deal or i will be looking else where
maxmax1 h, 11 m ago

I`m going to call them and see if i can get a better deal or i will be …I`m going to call them and see if i can get a better deal or i will be looking else where

Chances of getting a deal from BT over the phone are pretty slim, best bet is to sign up with another ISP, once they get in touch with BT who will contact you with an email about leaving and phone number to ring and then you may get offered a better deal.
Happened with me with last price increase, left for Vodafone but got a new better deal from BT down to £24.99 from £28.99 with new 12 month contract.
Will probably do the same when I recieve the email, but now that BT are raising the price I expect everyone else to follow.
Jonnoy21 h, 26 m ago

I had 18 months with them before this stint with BT, never ran into any …I had 18 months with them before this stint with BT, never ran into any issues, needed a phone call to add the data boost to my SIM card, no wiggle room when I first left them for BT though.

Cheers for that
_-Richie-_27th Jun

You'll be refunded for line rental saver for how ever many months/weeks …You'll be refunded for line rental saver for how ever many months/weeks are remaining at the time you leave or switch.

I'm speaking with BT and they told me otherwise! Saying terms and conditions are clear (I didn't check them yet), it's not refunded.
I haven't received the price rise email or a physical letter. My Infinity started in early June.

Could someone please post the email address from which BT send the price rise email?
terriclarkfan33 m ago

I haven't received the price rise email or a physical letter. My Infinity …I haven't received the price rise email or a physical letter. My Infinity started in early June.Could someone please post the email address from which BT send the price rise email?

34292193-gFdDU.jpg
it says on the bt website. I rang 0800 800030 and told them i am not pleased with the price rise, offered me my current price for another 18 months. Kept ringing everyday until i got a decent offer on the 6th day. Infinity 2 PLUS 70-80mb speed. 18 months contract with classic tv package and bt sports for £21.75 per month with prise freeze for 18 months. I did pay line rental in advance
saeed28109th Jul

[Image] it says on the bt website. I rang 0800 800030 and told them i am …[Image] it says on the bt website. I rang 0800 800030 and told them i am not pleased with the price rise, offered me my current price for another 18 months. Kept ringing everyday until i got a decent offer on the 6th day. Infinity 2 PLUS 70-80mb speed. 18 months contract with classic tv package and bt sports for £21.75 per month with prise freeze for 18 months. I did pay line rental in advance

So for someone paying line rental monthly, you're basically paying (£21.75 + £16.99) = £38.74.

According to the site, you can sign up to Classic TV and superfast fibre is £35.99 including line rental, BT sport is another £3.50 making it £39.49 altogether.

Am I missing something, or did you basically just get the same offer available to all new customers except without the prepaid mastercard & cashback?

I'm just off the phone with them, and all they offered me was the continuation of my existing package (just plain 50MB fibre and phone, no TV) for £29.99 per month which is my current price, or I could have the max fibre for an extra £4.

That being the case, I'm going to go with Plusnet who are currently offering £80 cashback on their 76MB Fibre Extra which costs £27.99 for 18 months. That makes my monthly cost £23.55 over 18 months, which seems to be the best offer I can get at the minute.
djbenny11 h, 23 m ago

So for someone paying line rental monthly, you're basically paying (£21.75 …So for someone paying line rental monthly, you're basically paying (£21.75 + £16.99) = £38.74.According to the site, you can sign up to Classic TV and superfast fibre is £35.99 including line rental, BT sport is another £3.50 making it £39.49 altogether.Am I missing something, or did you basically just get the same offer available to all new customers except without the prepaid mastercard & cashback?I'm just off the phone with them, and all they offered me was the continuation of my existing package (just plain 50MB fibre and phone, no TV) for £29.99 per month which is my current price, or I could have the max fibre for an extra £4.That being the case, I'm going to go with Plusnet who are currently offering £80 cashback on their 76MB Fibre Extra which costs £27.99 for 18 months. That makes my monthly cost £23.55 over 18 months, which seems to be the best offer I can get at the minute.

I think you got fibre1 mixed up with fibre2 . The price you quoted is for fibre1 (50mb min) with tv for £36.
Fibre2 (67mb min) with tv costs £46. They offered me Fibre2PLUS (67mb min) which has few extra perks over Fibre2.
34313907-eVYpq.jpg

Fibre2PLUS is £67 with tv and sports. My plan is costing me roughly £40 with line rental, tv and sports for 18 months. I think it's £27 cheaper with my maths which is miles better than £120 voucher.
I have been with bt for about 5 years. Been amazing since i switched to fibre, no drops. Stable speed 24x7. Wasn't very keen on switching.i know other companies would do it cheaper.
saeed281056 m ago

I think you got fibre1 mixed up with fibre2 . The price you quoted is for …I think you got fibre1 mixed up with fibre2 . The price you quoted is for fibre1 (50mb min) with tv for £36. Fibre2 (67mb min) with tv costs £46. They offered me Fibre2PLUS (67mb min) which has few extra perks over Fibre2. [Image] Fibre2PLUS is £67 with tv and sports. My plan is costing me roughly £40 with line rental, tv and sports for 18 months. I think it's £27 cheaper with my maths which is miles better than £120 voucher. I have been with bt for about 5 years. Been amazing since i switched to fibre, no drops. Stable speed 24x7. Wasn't very keen on switching.i know other companies would do it cheaper.

Ah fair enough.

Yea, to be honest I really don't have the time or inclination to haggle with these people so invariably I just end up signing up with someone else.

It's a shame really because I've had no issues with BT.

Oh well.
Joining Plusnet 2mos out of intrest do BT ask for there routers back?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants