Posted 13 August 2021

BT Broadband router keeps disconnecting (going yellow), anything I could do about this?

Had this fibre internet with BT for about 6 months now during this time nearly everyday the router randomly disconnects from the internet sometimes once or several times a day

Recently it's been happening much more so wanted to see what my options are

It's been really annoying when I'm on online meetings and get disconnected

I have my devices connected with Ethernet that's not the problem it seems it's just the router keeps going yellow

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Switch off. Wait 10 seconds and switch back on.

If no fix phone bt
    If the Internet is dropping externally, ie not the actual router at fault or WiFi, you will find your speeds dropping. This is because of DLM or dynamic line management. The exchange sees the disconnections and in an effort to stabilise your connection keeps dropping the speed.
    We had this with Plusnet, though not their fault. When finally tagged the fault was a loose connection in the cabinet. Everytime a bus went past the cabinet (every 20 minutes at least in both directions) plus an hgv etc the connection wobbled and broke. E ended up with a speed in the low kbps, like single figures. Took some finding though. Now running at@ 50Mbps.
    Is it fttp fibre or fttc
    The fact it's the same time every day shows it could be some kind of interference. We need more details.

In the mean time look at this. thinkbroadband.com/gui…ide
    See if you can find the list of what the light colours mean.

If yellow is to signify the internet connection itself is dropping then I'd get in contact with your ISP for troubleshooting. While it could be your router failing, it could also be something outside the house which is their responsibility.
    Don;t BT guarantee up time or send you out a WiFi dongle if they can;t resolve?
    Report the problem to your provider so they can initiate tests to identify the problem.

We had a similar problem, after regular 10-15 seconds loss of internet service several times a week for a few months.
    Anyway, last week it stopped completely. Initial testing found no problem, despite no internet!! Reported it again a few hours later and had a long conversation with TalkTalk C.S. (in S. Africa !). An Openreach Engineer was booked for following day. He found a problem with our master socket (engineer last year had missed something), plus an external problem 60M away (local junction box). All seems ok now

Your problem could be one of a number of thing so best to contact them (edited)
    aLV42613/08/2021 18:55

Don;t BT guarantee up time or send you out a WiFi dongle if they can;t …Don;t BT guarantee up time or send you out a WiFi dongle if they can;t resolve?

Halo packages include a keep connected promise, other packages don't have that promise.
's avatar