bt charging for equipment as im now leaving

Found 19th Jun 2016
So I'm leaving bT , and received and email stating I owe £55 for equipment . I was told by a bt adviser my contract was up with BT . Surely this is a ridiculous amount for what is old equipment now ? Any way to get around this ? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
post the email
Send the equipment back?
Another service provider has told us you want to move your phone line and broadband over to them on 04-Jul-2016. So we're taking this as notice that you want to stop these services with us on that date.

If that's not right, or you've changed your mind, please get in touch with us on 0800 345 7311 as soon as you can. The sooner you call us the easier it is to change things. If we don't hear from you by 2pm on 30-Jun-2016, your services will automatically be moved on 04-Jul-2016.

When you leave BT
We'll send you a final bill with the amount you need to pay. It'll include charges for the services you have with us, including line rental and calls, up to and including 04-Jul-2016. We'll take this payment in the same way we took your previous payments. So, if you've been paying by Direct Debit or Monthly Payment Plan, please don't cancel it until we've taken your final payment. This means the credit or debit balance you have can go towards your final bill, and you'll get any refund due to you faster by Direct Debit than cheque.

Equipment charges
As you've got equipment from BT, you'll need to pay:

£55.00 for broadband equipment charges.
You can find out more at bt.com/ter…ges
Are you leaving your contract early?
Same happened to my mum. She was sent a prepaid envelope and returned it. Never had to do that with other companies.
Not leaving early I'm in a monthly rolling contract now
I would say they can have it back, although as they posted it they would have to pick it up!
I left and received a letter saying why not return the equipment so that they can recycle it....nothing says I must return it, plus I paid for my second box so there's no chance they're having that! ... received a prepaid envelope a few days later - that's gone straight in the bin.

Have a read of this (start at #57) & the main MSE article

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…php?t=5294884&page=3

moneysavingexpert.com/new…kes?_ga=1.8723058.67379055.1447204969

BT is largely duty bound to allow existing customers to cancel their … BT is largely duty bound to allow existing customers to cancel their contract penalty-free because rules from regulator Ofcom state providers must allow this if they haven't informed customers of the price rise when they signed up.

Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 19th Jun 2016
I paid my contract up and requested to cancel my broadband and line but was told even though I paid my contract up and I was still within the first 12 months of my contract, I'd have to pay a charge for my equipment. The advisor told me she would set my line to disconnect on the last day of my contract so that I wouldn't be charged for the equipment. Seems strange as I'd already paid my contract out. She told me they charge as we get the equipment for free on the understanding that we remain for the whole 12 months.
My contact came up for renewal a few weeks ago so the usual call to BT
On going through to cancellations I was told of a £35 charge to cancel wtf
On questioning it I was told if I didn't cancel I would need another provider to take over my service , this way there was no charge
Very bizarre , charged for leaving ?
They renewed my deal so stayed with them
Bradleigh

My contact came up for renewal a few weeks ago so the usual call to BTOn … My contact came up for renewal a few weeks ago so the usual call to BTOn going through to cancellations I was told of a £35 charge to cancel wtfOn questioning it I was told if I didn't cancel I would need another provider to take over my service , this way there was no chargeVery bizarre , charged for leaving ?They renewed my deal so stayed with them

Yeah they told me it was a charge to disconnect a fibre line through BT Openreach oO
silverjellybean

Yeah they told me it was a charge to disconnect a fibre line through BT … Yeah they told me it was a charge to disconnect a fibre line through BT Openreach oO

yep thats correct
So if your out of contract get a new supplier and they take over the line so no charge
I have infinity 2 and line rental with I think weekend calls which I never use
I haggled them down to £40.20 and my line rental stays the same till next year
You will be charged this if you are not changing to another provider supplying the same type of service, i.e. fiber to cabinet (infinity). You will also get charged this if you switch to virgin and they use their own fiber to provide. Its been in their contracts for about four years from memory.
Edited by: "Argoj" 20th Jun 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants