EXPIRED

BT connection charge for a new phone in a brand new house - any reductions available?

Son moving to brand new house with no phone in it.

£125 connection fee looks to be unavoidable - unless some kind person in here knows of a way to get it reduced please?

More than happy to add to the reputation of anybody who can come up with a way to do it!

16 Comments

Banned

when i had mine connected they had an offer free if sign up with bt for 3 years
worth a try

With the "climate" how it is tell BT you will go with someone else!!
Sky,Virgin etc all offer telephone lines and do not charge anywhere
near £125
Remember THEY want YOUR custom :thumbsup:

Original Poster

herewego1234;3977805

when i had mine connected they had an offer free if sign up with bt for 3 … when i had mine connected they had an offer free if sign up with bt for 3 yearsworth a try

Thanks - how did you find out about the offer?

Original Poster

simon012;3977822

With the "climate" how it is tell BT you will go with someone … With the "climate" how it is tell BT you will go with someone else!!Sky,Virgin etc all offer telephone lines and do not charge anywherenear £125Remember THEY want YOUR custom :thumbsup:

Thanks - the problem here, though, is that it's a non-cabled road, so BT is probably the only option.

I have just rang bt and if you take out phone and broadband
the installation fee is reduced to £28............

simon012;3977822

With the "climate" how it is tell BT you will go with someone … With the "climate" how it is tell BT you will go with someone else!!Sky,Virgin etc all offer telephone lines and do not charge anywherenear £125Remember THEY want YOUR custom :thumbsup:

They offer a line but I think only BT will install a new line for you which is £125, sky won't install a line for you they'll only offer the line rental when you have one. Same for the other companies I think.

i'm sure someone posted on here a while ago, if you take sky they will reimburse you the installation fee of 125, so you have to pay it out but at least you would get it back.

It's an 18 month contract with BT and it's pretty expensive for a phone line and internet. You'd be better off paying the £125 and going with someone else imo. Especially if you have sky, or are thinking of getting it

Sky have their own line rental now so you can go with them as far as I know for phoneline, Sky are definately the way forward even if you can only get a BT phoneline, cos if you get SKY TV they offer to pay BT charge if you ask about it, thats what happened with me,

75kateb;3977917

i'm sure someone posted on here a while ago, if you take sky they will … i'm sure someone posted on here a while ago, if you take sky they will reimburse you the installation fee of 125, so you have to pay it out but at least you would get it back.

lol that may have been me

It's up to the sales advisor you speak to whether they offer you the refund. You'll have to take Broadband and probably Sky Talk before they consider it of course

75kateb;3977917

i'm sure someone posted on here a while ago, if you take sky they will … i'm sure someone posted on here a while ago, if you take sky they will reimburse you the installation fee of 125, so you have to pay it out but at least you would get it back.

This is true. I have just arranged for a line to be installed at my brother in law's new flat. BT are charging him £125.00 but because he is having SKY BB and TV, SKY are sending him out forms to claim the £125.00 back, this goes onto your SKY account as credit. You have to have SKY BB installed within 6 weeks of BT phone line install.
Call SKY and they will send you out the claim forms.

Spooki;3978014

This is true. I have just arranged for a line to be installed at my … This is true. I have just arranged for a line to be installed at my brother in law's new flat. BT are charging him £125.00 but because he is having SKY BB and TV, SKY are sending him out forms to claim the £125.00 back, this goes onto your SKY account as credit. You have to have SKY BB installed within 6 weeks of BT phone line install.Call SKY and they will send you out the claim forms.

was about to post & can confirm the above :thumbsup:

I didnt know sky gave you the £125 back so when we moved in a month ago I got a £29.99 installation with an 18 month contract. Seemed better but gutted I didnt know about the sky thing now. Also with this deal you dont get free evening calls only weekend and you cant switch provider for calls ie sky

I called and complained about it and they sent me a cheque for £125 back. Still to cash it in though saying that................

Original Poster

Thanks for the help, guys.

Rep about to be added to the first two for giving me the idea of haggling with them - it worked, and we got the connection for just under £30, which was reasonable for a brand new house that had never had any kind of connection before.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Bed pillow recommendations79
    2. Referbed MACBOOK- thoughts?!11
    3. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1018
    4. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?912

See more discussions