BT Email £5.00 / month!!! What a Bargain

Found 29th Mar 2016
If you currently pay £1.60 a month for your Btinternet address, you can look forward to a new monthly price of £5.00 in a couple of weeks.

Only a >300% price increase. It's an inflation busting deal.

This isn't any deal. This is a BT deal.

It's going to get cold in here!
Community Updates
54 Comments
Original Poster
If BT insist on increasing the price by such a ridiculously large % increase, I'm moving my email. It's such a pain for everything though from eBay/PayPal/Amazon and so many more stores.
You pay for an email address? You must have mug written all over you.

No wonder they think they can charge more.
Thanks for highlighting. shocking
Am I reading this correctly? Paying for an email account? Gmail, outlook or am I reading this wrong? Loll
Switch to Outlook
Original Poster
stuarthanley

You pay for an email address? You must have mug written all over you. No … You pay for an email address? You must have mug written all over you. No wonder they think they can charge more.

It was free once upon a time (I think whilst you are a BT customer??). For £1.60/ month after leaving, it wasn't worth the huge effort to transfer all accounts to a new email.

This is ridiculous pricing though.
stuarthanley

You pay for an email address? You must have mug written all over you. No … You pay for an email address? You must have mug written all over you. No wonder they think they can charge more.

Look, if Apple users want to pay for a Btinternet email address, surely that's their prerogative? (and probably a bit cheaper than the Apple equivalent, lol)

Original Poster
FlexR

Am I reading this correctly? Paying for an email account? Gmail, outlook … Am I reading this correctly? Paying for an email account? Gmail, outlook or am I reading this wrong? Loll

That's the problem with using an email address for over a decade that it's hard to simply change without considerable effort, so they feel like you are tied in.
Original Poster
cb-uk

Look, if Apple users want to pay for a Btinternet email address, surely … Look, if Apple users want to pay for a Btinternet email address, surely that's their prerogative? (and probably a bit cheaper than the Apple equivalent, lol);)

We are a Windows only (and one plus) family
This is a troll surely??
Didn't know people did to be honest,i've never paid for one !
Original Poster
Gimpneck

This is a troll surely??

Nope the price increase is real. There was sarcasm in the opening post though
A similar thread here:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5418799

They posted a date of May 2016 but it's actually in a couple of weeks.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 29th Mar 2016
cb-uk

Look, if Apple users want to pay for a Btinternet email address, surely … Look, if Apple users want to pay for a Btinternet email address, surely that's their prerogative? (and probably a bit cheaper than the Apple equivalent, lol);)

Apple emails are free (iCloud.com), and you don't need to have an apple product to have one, I still use mine!
Edited by: "bootneck42" 29th Mar 2016
How come my bt internet address is free and I left bt about 4 years ago.
bootneck42

Apple emails are free (iCloud.com), and you don't need to have an apple … Apple emails are free (iCloud.com), and you don't need to have an apple product to have one, I still use mine!

They'll soon follow BT.
bootneck42

Apple emails are free (iCloud.com), and you don't need to have an apple … Apple emails are free (iCloud.com), and you don't need to have an apple product to have one, I still use mine!

So are Google, Yahoo, etc. My Virginmedia one was free, bit when I cancelled my broadband with them, because of moving house, they said my email account would close in 90 days...what a pain.

Had no idea that BT charged for email, thanks for heads up, (and your self sacrifice to coldness).
Firefly1

Nope the price increase is real. There was sarcasm in the opening post … Nope the price increase is real. There was sarcasm in the opening post though ;)A similar thread here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5418799They posted a date of May 2016 but it's actually in a couple of weeks.

So it is not a deal - just an opportunity for you to have a go at BT?
abdndamo

I've been paying yours mate. You'll know when I come to collect.
Original Poster
Dave_dave69

So it is not a deal - just an opportunity for you to have a go at BT?

It's certainly a deal, whether you think it is a good deal is up to you. That's why we have a hot or cold function on this site. Maybe somebody will post that they have negotiated a "retentions" deal on this with BT. Or maybe somebody is still unaware of this price change - I only received my email this afternoon. Or maybe you want to get a BT email in the knowledge it will only cost £5 after you leave them. This informed choice is yours

DonkeyKonk

So are Google, Yahoo, etc. My Virginmedia one was free, bit when I … So are Google, Yahoo, etc. My Virginmedia one was free, bit when I cancelled my broadband with them, because of moving house, they said my email account would close in 90 days...what a pain.Had no idea that BT charged for email, thanks for heads up, (and your self sacrifice to coldness).

No problem It's good to share these things to be honest that e.g. Virgin just close your email account 90 days after leaving.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 29th Mar 2016
What if you've got broadband with BT? Does this charge still apply ?
Bt email tried to charge me for over a year threatening to cancel me email account. I didnt respond and two years later my btinternet account still fully working. Never pay for email accounts
Original Poster
pennyfarthing88

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44885/c/346/related/1?s_cid=con_FURL_premiummail

It seems the charge applies when you leave BT. You have to "upgrade" to their premium email service in order to keep your email address with them. Hopefully useful for you to know now though
Original Poster
sparkybrava

Bt email tried to charge me for over a year threatening to cancel me … Bt email tried to charge me for over a year threatening to cancel me email account. I didnt respond and two years later my btinternet account still fully working. Never pay for email accounts

Unfortunately for me, they have simply said they will take £5 via direct debit next month instead of £1.60. Unless I phone to inform them otherwise that I wish to cancel my email address immediately.
I will be contacting them shortly but I'll probably keep the email for 1 more month to allow me to transfer accounts.
Omg. I can make a custom domain and many email address at that price.
Firefly1

That's the problem with using an email address for over a decade that … That's the problem with using an email address for over a decade that it's hard to simply change without considerable effort, so they feel like you are tied in.

£1.60 a month (or £20 a year) will buy you a whole soddin' domain with unlimited email addresses. And really: nobody should have only 1 email address.

The is obviously BT's way of telling people to go elsewhere. At least they are giving their customers a hint, rather than just closing the system down immrdiately.
Grrrr
cb-uk

I am sure android users want to pay for BT email as well.
They tried to charge me the £1.60 a month a year ago when I left BT, told them where they could place their email service . Haven't been charged but email address still working 13 months on . Don't believe the BT con (by the way PlusNet which I switched to ,is so much better in terms of Customer service , reliability , speed and price -yes its owned by BT ,I think BT could learn many lessons from PlusNet oO
Edited by: "rogparki" 29th Mar 2016
socialmammal

Omg. I can make a custom domain and many email address at that price.

Same, £1-£3 a year for a domain then £10 a year for hosting and unlimited email accounts plus custom "'example.com" lol
Original Poster
pete_l

£1.60 a month (or £20 a year) will buy you a whole soddin' domain with u … £1.60 a month (or £20 a year) will buy you a whole soddin' domain with unlimited email addresses. And really: nobody should have only 1 email address.The is obviously BT's way of telling people to go elsewhere. At least they are giving their customers a hint, rather than just closing the system down immrdiately.

We have several email addresses across the btinternet domain (not one). You still pay BT the one charge since they were set up under the one account.

But yes - if you have 1 btinternet address or 10 of them, they will still charge the £5 fee. I would argue it's free advertisment though of their brand and a constant reminder to broadband users subconciously about the company for the future. You are right though, it's their way of getting rid of us or ripping us off!

There will be a few people who are like me who just are unaware of this price increase so I do hope they see this thread & contact BT otherwrise the price increase is automatic.
I have been with BT for about 20 years. I created a Gmail account six months ago incase I ever want to leave. Unfortunately I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat as me or have already left and didnt wish the hassle to change. Only Answer is to bite the bullet and create a free email account now. It takes an age to transfer 20 years of email traffic and accounts for different websites, But at least I can easily move from BT now, if I want.
abdndamo

Yes I never bothered paying for keeping bt email addres' and still using 5 bt address 4 years later. I had to accept some agreement later but that was ok.
try mail.com free but got ads
just got shut of BT after being with them for years
will never go back
bootneck42

But you have to have an Apple device to 'get' the iCloud email part of the AppleID in the first place, then after that you can use it even if you don't have an Apple device any more, unless you know of a way to add an iCloud email to an AppleID without using an Apple device?
They make absolutely massive profits but won't upgrade exchanges outside of town.... Loath BT.
pennyfarthing88

No ......thats why they are charging for it as people without BT Broadband were using BTemail and costing BT money for support etc, so if people have taken their BB away BT want you to take your email somewhere else too
Who pays for an email address? If this is you, then I'm sure someone can source you some snake oil.
redflash

But you have to have an Apple device to 'get' the iCloud email part of … But you have to have an Apple device to 'get' the iCloud email part of the AppleID in the first place, then after that you can use it even if you don't have an Apple device any more, unless you know of a way to add an iCloud email to an AppleID without using an Apple device?

ITunes
yomo5074

Who pays for an email address? If this is you, then I'm sure someone can … Who pays for an email address? If this is you, then I'm sure someone can source you some snake oil.

Probably people who prefer the concept of having a contractual relationship with a supplier so if the service level lessens or even fails, there is some opportunity for exerting pressure for resolution or even potential for legal redress. Not sure that suppliers such as Google or Yahoo will be bothered if there is a permanent issue with a user's freebie email account. Suspect most people wouldn't care if an email address suddenly failed with zero option for recovery. Even with the correct password, I know Gmail users that have been locked out of their accounts as Gmail felt justified in locking them out, and can.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants