Expired

BT Email - BT keeps threatening to close accounts

Found 4th May 2014Edited by:"stormydat"
The deadline has been and gone, but my email still works. Is this a bit of a scam by BT? Some people have paid for 'premium mail' to keep their address, twice!.
Community Updates
41 Comments
iv never heard of this is it even BT doing this or is it some other scammers i always get emails from skype saying they took money from my paypal but its just another scam
If you are not a customer then I dont see what the issue is, if I left BT I would expect to lose the email...?

What am I missing here?
It only costs pennies to get your own domain and mail services then you never have to worry about it again alternatively use Gmail or an outlook account much better than isp account
daturastorm

...Now I have had yet another email saying they are going to close the … ...Now I have had yet another email saying they are going to close the accounts again and saying I have to pay to join BT Premium mail or my account will be deactivated on 14th April...

14 April 2015?

...The deadline has been and gone, but my email still works. Is this a … ...The deadline has been and gone, but my email still works. Is this a bit of a scam by BT? Some people have paid for 'premium mail' to keep their address, twice!

Why have they paid twice?

If they paid the first time they were asked, they would then be a premium mail customer & not receive the second e-mail.
Original Poster
fanpages

Why have they paid twice?If they paid the first time they were asked, … Why have they paid twice?If they paid the first time they were asked, they would then be a premium mail customer & not receive the second e-mail.

I mean they have been asked to pay twice for something that has been free and apparently still is free. I bet quite a few people paid just to avoid the hassle of changing emails.

The email says: We're closing some of our older email services, and your BT email address will stop working after 14 April 2014.
There are two ways you can keep your email address. But whichever way you pick, you must do it before 14 April or you'll lose your email address and the contacts and messages associated with it.
Edited by: "stormydat" 4th May 2014
All the BT talk21 email addresses which we were told were free for life have also been asked to pay to keep them. Because of a co*k up BT have not switched off the old non paying accounts yet estimated at over 2million users but one day soon it will!
Exactly the same thing happened to me I was furious. Used the email for years and years It has so many important things linked to it. I've tried changing most stuff over but there's so much. It's a real annoyance and I think it's disgusting they have treated customers like this. Mine is still active. I seem to have difficulty getting into through the website but works fine on my ipads mail client. Would like to hear from other people?
Original Poster
bt.com/ema…ges

This also says: Our basic email services have now closed
Our basic email services closed on 14 April. These services include BT Basic Mail (also known as Talk21) and Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) @btinternet.com and @btopenworld.com email addresses.

but my email with them is still working
The way it was done was extremely unprofessional the first email in September made me so mad, I refuse to pay for an email i paid for when I had a Bt account.. especially when there's so many email clients for free. This is British Telecom. The Uk's largest service provider trying to milk as much money as they can.
Then they sent another email saying the time period had being extended. As the original post states. It does look like a scam by them to try and get as many people to pay as possible.
I'm sure they could have kept all the emails active and just introduced a storage cap. If they wanted to be less ****. I think the whole thing is an outrage. I would understand more if it was some smaller company trying to make cuts.
It may be to late but if you ask a friend neighbour workmate with BT broadband to add your BT email address to their account (each BT Broadband account has 11 spare email addresses allocated) You could do it yourself online if you knew the BT Account holder email address. I know lots of people who have done this and all that happens is the BT account holder gets told they have added your address to there allowance. On another note it makes me laugh when I see the current BT Broadband advert, don't they realize people share there super fast unlimited Fibre with their neigbours with the help of a wifi booster aerial in the loft, again know people doing this for years.
Edited by: "Ralph888" 4th May 2014
Why should BT offer free email if your not going to use them for broadband?

Its not a charity afterall and most other ISPs take your email off you if you cease their BB service, so if you dont like it too bad - pay or make alternative arrangements rather than moan about something free being taken away
I'm with BT for the sports channel & obviously the broadband.
I don't use a BT email account & just use hotmail.
Why not just use a free server ?
WheresMeNuts

I'm with BT for the sports channel & obviously the broadband.I don't use … I'm with BT for the sports channel & obviously the broadband.I don't use a BT email account & just use hotmail.Why not just use a free server ?

This is crux of the problem, I think:

daturastorm

...I had to go through the whole annoying saga of changing my email … ...I had to go through the whole annoying saga of changing my email address on every website I have ever joined and letting people know my new email address...

BT's free e-mail service is not cost effective.
BT notify their customers & offer a migration to a service requiring a fee (that also secures existing messages & contact information).
daturastorm does not wish to pay & is annoyed at the thought of having to pay.
daturastorm selects a new e-mail (provider) & changes all existing e-mail address registrations.
BT do not revoke access to free e-mail when they stated they would.
daturastorm assumes the service is going to continue indefinitely & probably uses BT e-mail address again.
BT state their intentions again.
daturastorm is annoyed again.
Original Poster
jase.2

Why should BT offer free email if your not going to use them for … Why should BT offer free email if your not going to use them for broadband? Its not a charity afterall and most other ISPs take your email off you if you cease their BB service, so if you dont like it too bad - pay or make alternative arrangements rather than moan about something free being taken away

Do they - like who? Sky didn't, AOL didn't, talk talk didnt.
I don't know why anyone uses their ISP's emails when Gmail is free.
Original Poster
It doesn't really affect me now as I've changed my email address, but I do think its unfair to lie to previous customers and I wouldn't go with them again. It was supposed to be free, secure and unlimited. They actually still advertise it as such.

Out of all the email accounts set up with broadband providers over the years - BT is the only one who has done this, and it was annoying as it was the only one I was using
Original Poster
deeky

BT WAS free - how do you know gmail will stay free?
daturastorm

BT WAS free - how do you know gmail will stay free?

I don't. But a web based email address with Google or Yahoo etc is constant. You know you won't have to change it if you change ISP.
Edited by: "deeky" 4th May 2014
deeky

Those who dot not wish their progress through Internetland to be tracked will not use Google's e-mail service in preference to their own Internet Service Provider's (or an alternate) option.

Did you read all of the terms & conditions presented to you (& subsequently updated) by Google?

Did you really agree to them all?
When you think about it it won't be long before Google charge to use Android and related Gmail addresses, all companies have a secret agenda in the early years, building up their users, BT promised talk21.com emails were 'free for life' 15 years ago yet they have reneged on that last year and will close it down unless you buy Broadband or pay extra for premium email.
fanpages

Those who dot not wish their progress through Internetland to be tracked … Those who dot not wish their progress through Internetland to be tracked will not use Google's e-mail service in preference to their own Internet Service Provider's (or an alternate) option.Did you read all of the terms & conditions presented to you (& subsequently updated) by Google?Did you really agree to them all?

Of course I did

Did you ask daturastorm if any of that was an issue for him? Did you?

I put it to you, fp, that the vast majority of internet/email users don't think, know or care about that sort of stuff.

I clarified the reasons for my comment in #21.

jase.2

Why should BT offer free email if your not going to use them for … Why should BT offer free email if your not going to use them for broadband? Its not a charity afterall and most other ISPs take your email off you if you cease their BB service, so if you dont like it too bad - pay or make alternative arrangements rather than moan about something free being taken away

It was the first email address I ever had when my family got broadband and i was a child Back then i was not planning for this eventuality When i grew up and got my own broadband i still used it out of habit for important things. even thoughmy family or I were not bt users any more. It was an email address that was always active and had worked since we set it up with or without being paid BT users. like my google or hotmail. Then out of the blue 10 years later we get an email saying we have to pay for this email address to keep the service.- which includes countless receipts and copies of important documents of mine.
No one has implied they thought it was a charity. People are rightfully annoyed that they've started to want to charge for a service out of the blue. As I suggested before it would make far more sense to have given users the option of a capped limit for free then charge for the full service. I still don't know if my account is just going to stop working over night. Its really bad service.
I find your post insulting and pointless. This thread is clearly for annoyed people who have had a service taken away from them and want to moan. so keep your obvious and annoying dumb opinions to yourself.
I'm even more annoyed, I paid back in September to keep mine and freeloaders are still getting it for nowt!

On a serious note, I only paid as it was associated with my CV and had been for years, I have now moved roles and no longer have any need for it, I should really close it!
deeky

...I clarified the reasons for my comment in #21.

A "stealth edit" can be negated by me re-posting the exact text you posted initially!
Ralph888

When you think about it it won't be long before Google charge to use … When you think about it it won't be long before Google charge to use Android and related Gmail addresses, all companies have a secret agenda in the early years, building up their users, BT promised talk21.com emails were 'free for life' 15 years ago yet they have reneged on that last year and will close it down unless you buy Broadband or pay extra for premium email.

...Facebook have probably missed the opportunity now, as if they ask for fees people will just move to another outlet for their social spamming.

Twitter, on the other hand; there has been rumours (over a few years) of their plans to implement a fee-paying structure.
daturastorm

....It was supposed to be free, secure and unlimited. They actually still … ....It was supposed to be free, secure and unlimited. They actually still advertise it as such...

Nothing has changed according to your comments elsewhere in this thread.

It is still free if you never agreed to pay for it.
Original Poster
fanpages

Nothing has changed according to your comments elsewhere in this … Nothing has changed according to your comments elsewhere in this thread.It is still free if you never agreed to pay for it.

I don't understand what you mean - its not free if they are writing to people asking them to pay for it, and if it is free and they are taking payment of people thats very unfair.
Edited by: "stormydat" 4th May 2014
daturastorm

I don't understand what you mean - its not free if they are writing to … I don't understand what you mean - its not free if they are writing to people asking them to pay for it, and if it is free and they are taking payment of people thats very unfair.

Yes, but that is not what I said in response to your comment.

It is still free to those that use it as a free service.
It could still be free to everybody (unless the fact that as some customers paid, the free service to everybody else can continue regardless).

What may have happened is that enough customers converted to a new service (with associated fees), or enough customers left the service (& no longer use the provision of e-mail), & BT have found that the original service can continue for the time being.

Yes, it's not fair.
Life is like that sometimes.

You can vote with your virtual feet if you wish to.
Cancel the contract for the service.
Cancel the contract & ask for a refund (due to any supporting evidence you can provide to substantial the claims you made above).
Keep the service & continue paying for it.
Simply cease paying (on a monthly basis, if you have not made an annual payment outright) & see what happens (subject to the terms & conditions of the contract being in your favour).
fanpages

A "stealth edit" can be negated by me re-posting the exact text you … A "stealth edit" can be negated by me re-posting the exact text you posted initially!

Go for it fp. The stealth edit was merely changing 'as constant' to 'is constant'
Oh my god this is terrible, what sort of business is it if its out to make a profit, this makes no sense as a business model, everything should be free.

/sarcasm
deeky

fanpages

A "stealth edit" can be negated by me re-posting the exact text you … A "stealth edit" can be negated by me re-posting the exact text you posted initially!

deeky

Go for it fp. The stealth edit was merely changing 'as constant' to 'is … Go for it fp. The stealth edit was merely changing 'as constant' to 'is constant'

You haven't found the key-logging software on your PC after I directed you to a bogus web site when you asked my advice about e-mail software then?

OK... I'll pretend to not have any logs from all your typing today, if you forget I mentioned it.
mattybinere

It was the first email address I ever had when my family got broadband … It was the first email address I ever had when my family got broadband and i was a child Back then i was not planning for this eventuality When i grew up and got my own broadband i still used it out of habit for important things. even thoughmy family or I were not bt users any more. It was an email address that was always active and had worked since we set it up with or without being paid BT users. like my google or hotmail. Then out of the blue 10 years later we get an email saying we have to pay for this email address to keep the service.- which includes countless receipts and copies of important documents of mine. No one has implied they thought it was a charity. People are rightfully annoyed that they've started to want to charge for a service out of the blue. As I suggested before it would make far more sense to have given users the option of a capped limit for free then charge for the full service. I still don't know if my account is just going to stop working over night. Its really bad service. I find your post insulting and pointless. This thread is clearly for annoyed people who have had a service taken away from them and want to moan. so keep your obvious and annoying dumb opinions to yourself.

And I find your moaning about having something you didnt pay for taken away pointless, your lucky you got it free for so long if it you didnt have BT Broadband so get over it and decide whether you want to pay to keep the address or not

Edited by: "jase.2" 4th May 2014
BEFORE your email gets closed down and if you do not want to sign up to BT again, then i would advise all as a precaution anyway to do as follows.

- Install Outlook or similar if you havnt got it already.
- Put your email settings in and let it download ALL emails in your inbox. (this may take some hours)
- Save the inbox as a .pst file for your records.
- Save as .pst every often to keep updated.

That way if your email ever does get randomly closed down at least you can access previous important emails in outlook free of charge for your reference.

Edited by: "J4GG4" 4th May 2014

^ Good tip! However, due to the content of a majority of this thread...

J4GG4

...- Install Outlook or similar if you havnt got it already...

Free e-mail client software (i.e. not MS-Outlook) is available
deeky

fanpages

deeky

Go for it fp. The stealth edit was merely changing 'as constant' to 'is … Go for it fp. The stealth edit was merely changing 'as constant' to 'is constant'

You're confusing me now. X)
deeky

You're confusing me now. X)

I'll wait fifteen minutes before I do it again.
Mine was closed down ,I think back and remember actually seeing an email off bt but not opening it. Used it for years then gone!!
After cancelling my BT BB years ago, I was surprised that they let me keep the emails. It was only though my own stupidity and the fact that I was new to the Internet that I used these ISP email addresses rather than Gmail or my own.

Anyway, as soon as I got the first email to warn me about losing my email services I just thought "oh, well, good on BT, I haven't paid for BB with them in years". I then registered some domains and signed up for Google Apps and I now have a snazzy, egotistical email address that won't be taken away from me because I'm paying for it.

Can't understand the moaners.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants