Groups

BT engineer charge

Hi,

brother-in-law has had constant problem, over a prolonged period, connecting to the internet.

Had lodged a ticket with adsl24, who suggested various diagnostic tests and replacing of equipment, cables, router, etc. When all this did not provide an answer, a bt engineer was called out.

Bt engineer visited home, did very little, expect replace the bt faceplate. Did not mention this was a chargeable visit and the cost only came to light when credit card statement received.

I carried out the tests for my brother-in-law and this included connection to the bt master socket, to rule out any issue with internal wiring.

BT insist this charge is valid, below is latest email -

We can confirm that your request disputing the charges raised by us has
    been fully investigated. Our findings are as follows:

Clear Code: C2
    Engineer findings: nte2000 fitted line in sync. Engineer upgraded
    internal socket as part of a chargeable visit as a precaution and line
    testing in synch.

I have no reason to believe that the charges are unjustified and
    therefore uphold the raised charges.

I feel this charge is unfair and advised that he escalate the issue to Ofcom.

Anyone offer any advice, especially regarding the engineer's findings?

Thanks,

Johnnypanic

23 Comments

Who contacted BT to get an engineer out?

who asked for the bt engineer? if it was your isp, i would tell them to pay it

Original Poster

Problem was originally lodged with isp (adsl24), after no success a bt engineer callout was organised. Adsl24 are a reseller of entanet, who billed my brother in law.

the Openreach engineer billed your brothers comms provider, the comms provider passed on the charge. What exactly did the engineer do?

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;6979115

the Openreach engineer billed your brothers comms provider, the comms … the Openreach engineer billed your brothers comms provider, the comms provider passed on the charge. What exactly did the engineer do?

Paddy...... dont forget the face plate! :thumbsup:

guv;6979133

Paddy...... dont forget the face plate! :thumbsup:

No package? Still got your address will post faceplatein morning.

did the visit fix the problem though?

Yes its well known that BT charge for call-outs with no fault found, most ISPs have this in their T&Cs, its correct unfortunately

Ask your ISP if a full pair quality test was carried out during your ADSL SFI. If not why not, if so did the line pass? If the engineer was in and out it's doubtful he done a full PQ test.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;6979165

No package? Still got your address will post faceplatein morning.

You haven't resent already have you? Nothing has arrived! Make sure you put the claim in for the missing one too if you haven't already. (Iv'e not heard anything from RM.)

I forgot in all honesty about the faceplate, had a lot on as of late. Will post tomorrow promise

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;6979237

I forgot in all honesty about the faceplate, had a lot on as of late. … I forgot in all honesty about the faceplate, had a lot on as of late. Will post tomorrow promise

No worries m8y. Its not a priority tbh. I'm still using the old one and until I start decorating, its not really a problem.

guv;6979259

No worries m8y. Its not a priority tbh. I'm still using the old one and … No worries m8y. Its not a priority tbh. I'm still using the old one and until I start decorating, its not really a problem.

It'll be posted tomorrow.

lol @ parallel conversation

As usual everyone blames BT for everything, its not a charity its a business!

In this case its the isp's fault not BT's so why not give ADSL24 some bad press and not BT as the isp should have told you before they sent the engineer out.

jase.2;6979416

As usual everyone blames BT for everything, its not a charity its a … As usual everyone blames BT for everything, its not a charity its a business! In this case its the isp's fault not BT's so why not give ADSL24 some bad press and not BT as the isp should have told you before they sent the engineer out.

I blame BT everyday, cos they are crap, they don't understand their own N3 network, make you do RFCs for a routing change which should have already been done, don't even know their own equipment and can't understand IP spoofing through a nokia checkpoint FW which they are paid to manage!!!!!!!! BT suxxx0r..............

do you work for BT?? lol

Original Poster

jase.2;6979416

As usual everyone blames BT for everything, its not a charity its a … As usual everyone blames BT for everything, its not a charity its a business! In this case its the isp's fault not BT's so why not give ADSL24 some bad press and not BT as the isp should have told you before they sent the engineer out.

I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this visit was chargeable, then the BT engineer should have explained this to the customer.

The problem was not with internal wiring, so why should the customer have to pay for a problem that they cannot fix. I'd assume that the customer is not allowed to mess with BT wiring?

johnnypanic;6979767

I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this … I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this visit was chargeable, then the BT engineer should have explained this to the customer.The problem was not with internal wiring, so why should the customer have to pay for a problem that they cannot fix. I'd assume that the customer is not allowed to mess with BT wiring?

The Openreach engineer has no obligation to tell the end user that they are likely to be charged. The openreach engineer charges his customer (which is the service provider) they may pass the charge on to you, or they may swallow it themselves.
    You can't mess with the wiring before the NTE5, the wiring after the NTE5 belongs to you.

Original Poster

I take it the wiring before the NTE5, is the wiring before the master socket?

If so, that wasn't touched by us. We plugged the cable into the bt master socket, to take the internal wiring out of the equation.

johnnypanic;6979864

I take it the wiring before the NTE5, is the wiring before the master … I take it the wiring before the NTE5, is the wiring before the master socket?If so, that wasn't touched by us. We plugged the cable into the bt master socket, to take the internal wiring out of the equation.

Thats the correct thing to do. As I said your issue is with your SP not with bt/openreach

johnnypanic;6979767

I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this … I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this visit was chargeable, then the BT engineer should have explained this to the customer.

It's up to the ISP to tell you that if they call out BT 'you may be charged for the visit' - so, not BT's fault.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;6979886

Thats the correct thing to do. As I said your issue is with your SP not … Thats the correct thing to do. As I said your issue is with your SP not with bt/openreach

You probably recall me saying I was having problems with dead connections and cut outs. Ive already had 2 replacement modems and Im still getting the same problem.

There is no extensions from the original faceplate (It includes one socket and my ADSL connection)..... but Ive noticed that the modem basically just keeps rebooting. (Its actually just powering down) I thought it might be the power supply, but thats been swapped over and it still does it.

Sound like a duff modem?

johnnypanic;6979767

I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this … I do blame BT here, at the very least, for bad customer service. If this visit was chargeable, then the BT engineer should have explained this to the customer.The problem was not with internal wiring, so why should the customer have to pay for a problem that they cannot fix. I'd assume that the customer is not allowed to mess with BT wiring?

Customer is ADSL24

Dispute this charge as 'unauthorised' with your credit card company. They will then ask the 'biller' to supply proof of authority & signature to authorise debit. No signature or authority, refund back to your account.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions