BT existing customers can be new customers again day after contract ends..

Found 4th Sep 2017Edited by:"sheps"
i've linked (well it was before the thread was moved...but it easy found)the MSE deal because for me its the best because it doesn't rely on cashback paying out and you still get a fantastic price that works out to under £19 if you pay line rental saver and use the £100 cash back mastercard.towards rest of the costs. .. im sure you all know how it works..

not sure if this is common knowledge i certainly thought you had to wait a length of time in between leaving bt and been able to join as a new customer but apparently not..

Basically my BT contract runs out on 20th of sept.. today me and the retention team were talking and came to the conclusion the best thing i could do to get the contract i wanted for the next 12 months was to cancel my BT contract and become a new customer again.. retention team just couldn't offer me anything better you see..

So i did that around teatime and almost instantly i noticed ee and vodafone picked up i never had a line.. so i chanced trying to order the new bt contact early rather than on the 21st and right enough i've just been accepted as a new customer ..

The only thing is they then issue a new telephone number but i could ask to keep mine (we decided not to) because what this is classed as I can now see on my account is taking over the line. My BT shows i now have 2 account numbers now.. old one that still has my mobiles on it that still get the discount too and new one.. im sure i can merge them later... so if you can live with that and want a BT new customer deal.. this it seams is how to go about it...

my conection date is the day the old contract finished so in theory i should loose no connection and as i said it never affected my mobile sims i have with them..

also another bit handy of info is if you give 30 days notice or talk them into making it the day it ends if you are with in last 30 days and then decide to move to someone else not renew you can still uncancel and move easily along as normal too..

Hope this helps someone
edits..

ive only shown one example of how to make this work.. but as suggested below..

Do check with retention team when cancelling that you will not be charged for leaving after the end of the contract (I wasn't)

i also wasn't charged a reconnection fee using the mse link

Line Rental Saver£208.80
BT Broadband one-off charges£9.99One-off charges including activation, installation and delivery.

One-off total£218.79
Ongoing charges for this order
Line Rental Saver£-18.99Reduced line rental with Line Rental Saver

BT Call Protect£0.00
Broadband and Calls£49.99Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service

Special offer discount£-22.00Your special offer discount lasts for 12 months

Total ongoing charges for this order£9.00

and £100 mastercard to claim too
Community Updates
BT Mobile DealsMisc
48 Comments
Be careful, BT will charge you a terminal action fee for disconnecting your line I think (but good to know the time period! I had assumed 12 months)
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 4th Sep 2017
And they increase your bill throughout the contract.

Can't wait till Nov ends.
Original Poster
DanB893 m ago

Be careful, BT will charge you a terminal action fee for disconnecting …Be careful, BT will charge you a terminal action fee for disconnecting your line I think (but good to know the time period! I had assumed 12 months)

i wasn't aware it was a possibility and they certainly haven't said it in any correspondence that i'm going to be charged it was actually their suggestion i did it this way. .. but people should be aware and make sure they maybe talk to retention team to confirm .. they did warn i could get a reconnection fee depending what deal i found online but no fee with link i included.
Will charge you an activation fee as well...
Original Poster
beardenvy3 m ago

And they increase your bill throughout the contract.Can't wait till Nov …And they increase your bill throughout the contract.Can't wait till Nov ends.

i've not had anyone offer a contract that doesn't do this at least this 12 not 18 months one i signed for in link.. ill survive that i think.. not for everyone im sure but i often see people wishing they could get a new customer deal.. so sure to help some.
It's BT! Even if you only pay £1 a month it still won't work.
Original Poster
Adamrec9 m ago

Will charge you an activation fee as well...

depends what deal you find.. one above is reasonable 27.99 and just the 9.99 delivery or less with saver so basically i payed that upfrount like id usually do and now pay £9 a month for 12 months and ive confirmation of that
Edited by: "sheps" 4th Sep 2017
Original Poster
mad_design_man5 m ago

It's BT! Even if you only pay £1 a month it still won't work.

there fibre connection cant be worse than my broadband on any isp haha
Thanks OP for the tips, I would keep that in mind (good to learn new things and also they are useful)
Is there not an "off topic" for sh*te like this?
Original Poster
pimpMe5 m ago

Is there not an "off topic" for sh*te like this?

sorry you dont think its a deal and consider it off topic... but I would hope most people bt customers or not will disagree because it opens deals to many more people and to some its useful info too..so hopefully many bt customers who wish they could get another new customer deal will like this.. but i canna please everyone..nor would i want too
Just moved house and wanted silly money to move my contract as my deal just finished and offering nothing good, ended up cancelling and rejoining. Had to give 30 days notice, pay fibre cancellation fee and new setup fee for new property, only did it as cheap monthly fee, something like £75 quidco and £100 cash card which all in more than covered the fees, liw monthly rental but might not work for you.

Personally think robbing b******* that they charge so much to turn your service off and on
Edited by: "matengawhat" 4th Sep 2017
I have had infinity 2 for a few years now and only ever had 2 network problems solid 78 down and almost 18 up from a 80/20 connection and always haggle the hell out of them..
Original Poster
matengawhat4th Sep

Just moved house and wanted silly money to move my contract as my deal …Just moved house and wanted silly money to move my contract as my deal just finished and offering nothing good, ended up cancelling and rejoining. Had to give 30 days notice, pay fibre cancellation fee and new setup fee for new property, only did it as cheap monthly fee, something like £75 quidco and £100 cash card which all in more than covered the fees bit might not work for you

that's the kind of behavior i don't like from bt.. the quidco offer did try charge me activation fee and that why i decided to use the mse link above it doesn't have any fees other than 9.99 for deliver and you still can claim the £100 card..... i've double checked i'm definitely not been charged anything unexpected
Edited by: "sheps" 12th Oct 2017
No complaints here. Rarely does our internet cause us problems. We had come to end of contract and fees increased from £26 a month to £45. Quick phone call to tell them I'm leaving and an offer of £25 a month for 18 months was put on the table, greatfully accepted and on we go
kiaclare5 m ago

No complaints here. Rarely does our internet cause us problems. We had …No complaints here. Rarely does our internet cause us problems. We had come to end of contract and fees increased from £26 a month to £45. Quick phone call to tell them I'm leaving and an offer of £25 a month for 18 months was put on the table, greatfully accepted and on we go

does the £25 include the line rental?
Original Poster
Line Rental Saver£208.80
BT Broadband one-off charges£9.99One-off charges including activation, installation and delivery.

One-off total£218.79
Ongoing charges for this order
Line Rental Saver£-18.99Reduced line rental with Line Rental Saver

BT Call Protect£0.00
Broadband and Calls£49.99Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service

Special offer discount£-22.00Your special offer discount lasts for 12 months

Total ongoing charges for this order£9.00

and £100 mastercard to claim too
Edited by: "sheps" 4th Sep 2017
Yes they don't give the cashback easily. Also they just but me off and said sorry that is sad no phone no internet no nothing few days ...bad ba
Original Poster
7day8 m ago

Yes they don't give the cashback easily. Also they just but me off and …Yes they don't give the cashback easily. Also they just but me off and said sorry that is sad no phone no internet no nothing few days ...bad ba

they did say i could loose connection after 20th until it was switched on and then gave me the 20th as day to turn it on so i doubt they will really turn it off and then on again in the same day lol
If your line becomes fully disconnected it will be a very expensive job to get it re-connected. Possible termination fee and re-activation fee. I would not recommend doing this at all. You always want to keep your line active.

You might get away with it. If I recall correctly, there's two stages to being completely diconnected. I think there is a 30 day period of something until you line is fully disconnected, but it's a huge gamble. If they mess up at their end, which lets face it is BT's default position, you are going to have a very hefty bill and a long wait to sort it out.
Original Poster
MSK.4 m ago

If your line becomes fully disconnected it will be a very expensive job to …If your line becomes fully disconnected it will be a very expensive job to get it re-connected. Possible termination fee and re-activation fee. I would not recommend doing this at all. You always want to keep your line active.You might get away with it. If I recall correctly, there's two stages to being completely diconnected. I think there is a 30 day period of something until you line is fully disconnected, but it's a huge gamble. If they mess up at their end, which lets face it is BT's default position, you are going to have a very hefty bill and a long wait to sort it out.

all good advice and i did consider if it goes wrong...it can with any new contract but at least with bt given my neighbours all have bt so i can use any hotspots up until they sort it out.. and we never use house phones anyway.. not for everyone but i did say that to start with
Original Poster
don't be rash is the key...also if they muck it up they can pay for it as i've had this all approved before i did it as i say it was their suggestion and a manager approved letting me go with out 30 days too. Its common sense to talk it through with retention team.. they will keep you right as i say they even explained how to move to someone else if i changed my mind about a new contract after starting the cancellation process.. you have 30 days to change your mind or less if like me your within last 30 days and manage to get them to release you on that day.
MSK.22 m ago

If your line becomes fully disconnected it will be a very expensive job to …If your line becomes fully disconnected it will be a very expensive job to get it re-connected. Possible termination fee and re-activation fee. I would not recommend doing this at all. You always want to keep your line active.You might get away with it. If I recall correctly, there's two stages to being completely diconnected. I think there is a 30 day period of something until you line is fully disconnected, but it's a huge gamble. If they mess up at their end, which lets face it is BT's default position, you are going to have a very hefty bill and a long wait to sort it out.

You can keep line active but they charge fee to turn off fibre internet
sheps1 h, 39 m ago

i wasn't aware it was a possibility and they certainly haven't said it in …i wasn't aware it was a possibility and they certainly haven't said it in any correspondence that i'm going to be charged it was actually their suggestion i did it this way. .. but people should be aware and make sure they maybe talk to retention team to confirm .. they did warn i could get a reconnection fee depending what deal i found online but no fee with link i included.

I had an issue with then when they tried to disconnect a line instead of just take notice for my intent to move supplier. Lucky I sorted it before I got charged and lost the phone number

Hope it works out for you anyway
I'm not entirely sure I would go with BT even if it was free, as I had nothing but trouble with them when I was with them before.
Original Poster
DanB8956 m ago

I had an issue with then when they tried to disconnect a line instead of …I had an issue with then when they tried to disconnect a line instead of just take notice for my intent to move supplier. Lucky I sorted it before I got charged and lost the phone numberHope it works out for you anyway

cheers I will update with any developments even if to just confirm it went as planned.. I half expect something not to go right but trying to br hopeful it will be OK..if not I've I've said we have a back up plan and I've a pretty good record of winning battles against bt when they muck up..
DanB899 h, 6 m ago

Be careful, BT will charge you a terminal action fee for disconnecting …Be careful, BT will charge you a terminal action fee for disconnecting your line I think (but good to know the time period! I had assumed 12 months)

They are not cancelling early, they are completing the min term so you will not be charged that.
I wouldn't trust a word BT say, they said we'd keep our number but when we moved we lost it and were charged about £70 for connection at the new flat. Also they left us without a phone for weeks because the connection date was ages away

They did the same to my father when my parents moved a couple of months ago,. You can't trust them with the numbers at all and they always charge for anything they can think of.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Sep 2017
MR11232 h, 31 m ago

They are not cancelling early, they are completing the min term so you …They are not cancelling early, they are completing the min term so you will not be charged that.

However they are cancelling the line which is where the charge will come, as they have given notice to BT and no operator will take over the line - it's a disconnections charge. Hence the risk that they will lose the lose the number
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 5th Sep 2017
Original Poster
DanB893 h, 4 m ago

However they are cancelling the line which is where the charge will come, …However they are cancelling the line which is where the charge will come, as they have given notice to BT and no operator will take over the line - it's a disconnections charge. Hence the risk that they will lose the lose the number

Not at all as explained in original post and since if you decided to move provider and not renew you simply ring them before the date of disconnection they cancel that so you can move as normal keep number ect..
Original Poster
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 17 m ago

I wouldn't trust a word BT say, they said we'd keep our number but when we …I wouldn't trust a word BT say, they said we'd keep our number but when we moved we lost it and were charged about £70 for connection at the new flat. Also they left us without a phone for weeks because the connection date was ages awayThey did the same to my father when my parents moved a couple of months ago,. You can't trust them with the numbers at all and they always charge for anything they can think of.

A few have had issues moving I see.. Last time I did I had no problems and they wavered fees so I can't complain.. Thing is I soon would have otherwise.. Managers will usually be reasonable.. If I can get anywhere with managers I raise things further.. I got a years broadband and evening weekend calls for 3.50 and 6 months free line rental last time they mucked up an order.
sheps34 m ago

Not at all as explained in original post and since if you decided to move …Not at all as explained in original post and since if you decided to move provider and not renew you simply ring them before the date of disconnection they cancel that so you can move as normal keep number ect..

We shall see, I hope you manage to get it - but as soon as BT have nobody to 'hand' the line over to, they will charge you a disconnection fee and disconnect it. Whether they will 'hand over' to themselves without issue is probably the question

If they then pick up your new request and treat it as a new customer on the same line (i.e. same number), then this is great

I've had experiences with BT though, never actually 'paid' it but I gave them notice and moved supplier, the new supplier told me BT had put a cancellation on the line, and when the bill came through there was a charge. However I rang them before the bill came out of the bank (and before the disconnection actually happened) and after a bit of 'toing and froing' managed to sort it.

Also basically been told by BT sometimes even they don't know how their systems calculate charges!

...but reading your opening post it does sound like you might be able to make it work and fingers crossed it does! It's good for me to know as I love a good deal, but just keep an eye out as I wouldn't want you to end up paying more because of charges and stuff
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 5th Sep 2017
Roll on Black Friday! My present BT contract was from last year's Black Friday so I'm hoping to either renew with them for a great deal or move elsewhere.
we pay £61 a month for line rental with BT and infinity broadband, never touch the house phone. They won't speak to me about a new deal (ours has expired) as it is in the OH's name and he CBA speaking to them
Segata-Sanshiro11 h, 40 m ago

I wouldn't trust a word BT say, they said we'd keep our number but when we …I wouldn't trust a word BT say, they said we'd keep our number but when we moved we lost it and were charged about £70 for connection at the new flat. Also they left us without a phone for weeks because the connection date was ages awayThey did the same to my father when my parents moved a couple of months ago,. You can't trust them with the numbers at all and they always charge for anything they can think of.

You would have got exactly the same with any other sp that uses the Openreach network. You cant move numbers out of exchange areas and you could have checked if it was a different exchange area yourself, Openreach charge every SP connection. Your connection date would also have been the same with any SP as again its Openreach appointment books not a BT Consumer appointment book!
jase.228 m ago

You would have got exactly the same with any other sp that uses the …You would have got exactly the same with any other sp that uses the Openreach network. You cant move numbers out of exchange areas and you could have checked if it was a different exchange area yourself, Openreach charge every SP connection. Your connection date would also have been the same with any SP as again its Openreach appointment books not a BT Consumer appointment book!

It wasn't, i live a ten minute walk up the road from my last flat and walk past it often. It was just a basic phone line.
My exchange is the same and its my parents exchange too, they moved not far from where they were before and are now nearer to me.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Sep 2017
matengawhat4th Sep

Just moved house and wanted silly money to move my contract as my deal …Just moved house and wanted silly money to move my contract as my deal just finished and offering nothing good, ended up cancelling and rejoining. Had to give 30 days notice, pay fibre cancellation fee and new setup fee for new property, only did it as cheap monthly fee, something like £75 quidco and £100 cash card which all in more than covered the fees, liw monthly rental but might not work for you.Personally think robbing b******* that they charge so much to turn your service off and on

Oh no. This is worrying. I might be in the and boat at the end of the month. Any advice? I can't really afford that. *Worries*
chezybezy3 h, 41 m ago

Oh no. This is worrying. I might be in the and boat at the end of the …Oh no. This is worrying. I might be in the and boat at the end of the month. Any advice? I can't really afford that. *Worries*

Ring and chat to them, mine was a bit messy as deal i had just finished that month and was going up from something like 17.99 to nearly 50 quid for broadband plus rental, you need to give them 30 days notice even though 12 month deal was coming to an end so plan ahead as i ended up paying a month for no service, i thought my contract was for 12 months, should have read small print. from memory they still wanted to charge me for turning off fibre at old house but would waiver setup cost at new house, i also wanted a homehub 6 as the 5 i had loads of issues with and wanted another £50 plus postage for that, you get the 6 free as new customer, in the end offered me the 6 for free but would have to pay postage and the best deal they would offer was about 30pm. just felt getting shafted so in end just said shove it as wasnt bothered about keeping number. When i checked out deals from other providers for new customers they were still the best so just signed up again. Had to pay fibre connection cost again and postage for hub but that was all, got a far better monthly cost, quidco and cash card as new customer again.
Edited by: "matengawhat" 6th Sep 2017
Original Poster
to add to the above in my experience the key to bt is ...that you can do what i did and reason with the managers be it your are dealing with retentions team/home move team or who ever you have to deal with ain't been reasonable, they cant offer deals sometimes but the managers can ... I never had to give 30 days notice and i've not been charged ending the contract with them because thats all ive actully done... As my new contract as in same property is simply classed as taking over the line.. they issued new number but i could phone customer services and arrange the number i have stays but we actually decided to take a new number and keep it ex directory and try avoid cold callers by not giving it out to anyone but family doctors ect no companies that might pass our details on..
Edited by: "sheps" 6th Sep 2017
Original Poster
Thought I'd give you an update.. Everything went to plan and I wasn't disconnected for more than 20mins as the switched everything to new account. Billing was sorted and I've been reimbursed where I over paid in advance as you do.. Had no disconnect or reconnection fees.
I even got 4 new sims on a 20gb for 16 a month each has 60 quid cash back and a 100 voucher.. Once this all paid I'll move them to a family sim.. If quidco pays works out I'll have effectivly paid under £2 a month for each.. If not it still something like £3.50 each a month.. Feels good to finally get a deal from bt.. They certainly had enough money of me over years for things like substandard broadband we had in rural Scotland for years and unreliable connections lol
Edited by: "sheps" 26th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions