Bt fibre to the home, can I cancel the landline?

21 replies
Found 17th Jul
Hi, I have BT fibre 52mb to the home (not just to the cabinet) this means I have two lines coming into my home, I don't need the phone line as my mobile gives me plenty of call time etc. Should I be allowed to cancel the phone line when my 12 month contract is up in September. I called BT today and the person I spoke to claims not, but speaking to a BT engineer recently he claims people have managed to cancel there phone lines, for me it is a waste paying for one when I never use it and all I get is nuisance\scam phone calls.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments

For future reference there is a dedicated section for questions:

hotukdeals.com/all…new

You'll get better answers posting in the correct place.

You need to pay the line rental part of your broadband contract. That pays for the local infrastructure and the fact that it also enables you to make phone calls is incidental and has virtually no impact on cost.

If you actually have a second separate line then you're free to cancel that but it would be an unusual setup. Most people have their broadband installed on the same line that is/was used for phone calls.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

You need to pay the line rental part of your broadband contract. That … You need to pay the line rental part of your broadband contract. That pays for the local infrastructure and the fact that it also enables you to make phone calls is incidental and has virtually no impact on cost. If you actually have a second separate line then you're free to cancel that but it would be an unusual setup. Most people have their broadband installed on the same line that is/was used for phone calls.

It's not broadband it's fibre.

POWYSWALES

It's a type of broadband - Fibre to the home, as opposed to fibre to the cabinet. Both are broadband. As is ASDL a type of broadband.

You still need to pay line rental (or, see below, a fee for not paying line rental....), as you are paying for the maintenance of the line i.e. the physical cabling.

You shouldn't have to pay 2 lots of line rental though. From your opening post, it sounds like you might just be paying for unlimited phone calls or something at the moment, which of course you are free to cancel.

EDIT:Just to add, there is some way to avoid paying "line rental", but you then have to pay a charge for not having line rental.... Which is seemingly more expensive than the charge to have line rental. So the engineer is right, it's theoretically possible.
ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml
Perhaps you can find more up to date pricing though

Edited by: "Firefly1" 18th Jul

You need the landline (hence the rental) for Broadband whether it be fibre or normal - how do you think the Broadband gets to your house ? via the tooth fairy ?- End of .
Edited by: "rogparki" 17th Jul

52 meg is more than likely FTTC

You don't need a landline for fttp, it can be 52 / 76 or 330mb download depending how much you want to pay

I would love not to pay for landline rental as I dont use or have a need for a house phone for my BT Infinity but theres not much you can do. it sucks, can save £18.99

Original Poster

rogparki

You need the landline (hence the rental) for Broadband whether it be … You need the landline (hence the rental) for Broadband whether it be fibre or normal - how do you think the Broadband gets to your house ? via the tooth fairy ?- End of .

Via the fibre cable which is separate to the phone line, as I said at the begining I have 2 lines coming to my house.

darthvader666uk

It still uses exactly the same infrastructure. The only difference is that the cable between your house and the green cabinet is made of a different material.

Original Poster

busterpug

52 meg is more than likely FTTC

It is fibre to the home, hence I now have 2 lines coming into my home, I could have paid for higher speeds but 52mb is more than Enough for me.

I never use it and all I get is nuisance\scam phone calls.

Un
Plug
Your
Phone

Original Poster

jco83

UnPlugYourPhone;)

The point is I don't want to pay for a landline I am not using, which bit do you find so hard to understand.

POWYSWALES

The point is I don't want to pay for a landline I am not using, which bit … The point is I don't want to pay for a landline I am not using, which bit do you find so hard to understand.

You don't need a phone line for fttp, it goes nowhere near the cabinet in the street so just ring up and cancel the line if your out of contract

jase.21 h, 25 m ago

You don't need a phone line for fttp, it goes nowhere near the cabinet in …You don't need a phone line for fttp, it goes nowhere near the cabinet in the street so just ring up and cancel the line if your out of contract

OP states "I have BT fibre 52mb to the home". A line may or may not be needed, but BT is saying you will have it for "fibre to the home" BT Infinity:
bt.custhelp.com/app…403
"You'll need a BT line or another similar, non-cable line, before we can install BT Infinity."
bt.custhelp.com/app…346

POWYSWALES

The point is I don't want to pay for a landline I am not using, which bit … The point is I don't want to pay for a landline I am not using, which bit do you find so hard to understand.

I was just suggesting you could unplug your phone to stop nuisance calls oO

Your not paying for the landline. Your paying for a connection to your home. Be it glass or copper!

Original Poster

jb66

Your not paying for the landline. Your paying for a connection to your … Your not paying for the landline. Your paying for a connection to your home. Be it glass or copper!

But say for example I just pay 24.99 for the fibre line with Internet, then I am paying for the service and line I want and not the copper phone line that I Don't want or use.

POWYSWALES

But say for example I just pay 24.99 for the fibre line with Internet, … But say for example I just pay 24.99 for the fibre line with Internet, then I am paying for the service and line I want and not the copper phone line that I Don't want or use.

Your not paying for a copper line. Your paying for access to your home. Virgin for example t
Do broadband without a landline for £30. Or with a landline for £30. Your still using a "line" no matter what

POWYSWALES

But say for example I just pay 24.99 for the fibre line with Internet, … But say for example I just pay 24.99 for the fibre line with Internet, then I am paying for the service and line I want and not the copper phone line that I Don't want or use.

If it's an actual second line with it's own socket then you can absolutely cancel it.

Everybody has just ignored post #4 which proves you do not have to pay line rental - but you will have to pay a separate fee.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!44
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3484
    3. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz1115
    4. Trying to create a list of short modern video games. Any suggestions?812

See more discussions