BT frustration please help

Posted 21st May
We have been with BT for nearly 4 years on 52mb broadband, no issues until around 6/9 months ago when we can no longer get above 1mb upstairs in the bedrooms.

I have been through everything with them, changing channels, switching between 2.3ghz to 5ghz, disconnecting some connected devices as apparently we have too many. They then sent us a new hub - no improvement.

All they want to do is upgrade us to whole home wifi which is a more expensive package, even then apparently I have to keep ringing up to say I am not getting wifi and they send me another disc everytime so I go through the hassle everytime and pay for the privilege.

Call me cynical but I only started to get the wifi issues around the same time as they started to promote this new package and email me constantly about it.

My contract is not ending until January for broadband so I really need something to help in the meantime.
I have had a kidney transplant so we are isolated long term, we cannot leave the front door. I have my partner working from home and he is hardwired to the hub but my son is 18, works on design work and video calls on his macbook and it is currently unusable.
I had brushed it off with him before the lockdown but he is keeping me safe by staying in, the least I can do is try and sort his wifi issues out.

If anybody can help I would be very grateful.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

31 Comments
I had similar problem. To fix it, i stopped using the smarthub as an access point and connected my own wifi router.
samosa21/05/2020 15:41

I had similar problem. To fix it, i stopped using the smarthub as an …I had similar problem. To fix it, i stopped using the smarthub as an access point and connected my own wifi router.

Is that a better option than using the wifi mesh extenders do you know? Can you recommend a wifi router if this is a better option?

Thanks for replying
BT are the devil
Mendoza21/05/2020 15:44

BT are the devil

Honestly I have spent hours over the last few weeks trying to solve this. They use a different advisor everytime so I have to go through it all again and all the tests again. They do it to grind you down I am sure.

Anyway I am today cancelling 3 BT mobile contracts as they are no longer in contract. When the broadband phone and sport is up in January I will cancel.

This cannot be a coincidence as the wifi worked perfectly well until this "upgrade" was introduced. They said they would give it for an extra £10 per month and I was tempted as they said 4 discs and I am so worn down. She then mentioned you only get one disc to start then you have to go through it all again to get extra discs.
Is it only upstairs that is an issue? If it is, have you considered using powerline adapters/wifi extender? Plug one into a socket and your router downstairs and the other in a socket upstairs - could be a temporary solution until you get round to cancelling with them.
ladymarmalade21/05/2020 15:42

Is that a better option than using the wifi mesh extenders do you know? …Is that a better option than using the wifi mesh extenders do you know? Can you recommend a wifi router if this is a better option?Thanks for replying

I dont know too much about and mesh as I live in a 2nd floor flat and mesh is no use to me.

When i was using BT's hub, i had to have Powerline adaptors in the bedroom to broadcast SSID as signal from router was non-existent. I went for the Asus RT-AC5300 (flashed to Asus-Merlin FW) and found a significant improvement in the signal that I no longer required Powerline adaptors either and now get full speed in bedroom. In fact the signal reaches my car in the residential parking.
keeganland21/05/2020 15:55

Is it only upstairs that is an issue? If it is, have you considered using …Is it only upstairs that is an issue? If it is, have you considered using powerline adapters/wifi extender? Plug one into a socket and your router downstairs and the other in a socket upstairs - could be a temporary solution until you get round to cancelling with them.

We are 3 storey but the bottom floor is built underground at the rear and I've always struggled there as it is to be expected.

The middle floor has the office with the hub and the lounge next door, no issues here. The next floor is all bedrooms and we are really struggling in these, we never used to struggle with wifi up there and I had another son here with his gaming pc too. So this is definitely a change.
samosa21/05/2020 15:55

I dont know too much about and mesh as I live in a 2nd floor flat and mesh …I dont know too much about and mesh as I live in a 2nd floor flat and mesh is no use to me. When i was using BT's hub, i had to have Powerline adaptors in the bedroom to broadcast SSID as signal from router was non-existent. I went for the Asus RT-AC5300 (flashed to Asus-Merlin FW) and found a significant improvement in the signal that I no longer required Powerline adaptors either and now get full speed in bedroom. In fact the signal reaches my car in the residential parking.

Thanks, I will take a look at that router as it could be used when I finally get away from BT I suppose.
Mendoza21/05/2020 15:44

BT are the devil

Agree, Im also on 52mb and when i joined BT my minimum guarantee speeds were 27mb and now they are 17mb, their speeds are pants considering I live in Greater London and most cabinets are oversubscribed. The landowners will not allow Virgin installation in the development. Moving to any other FTTC provider will just pass the problem elsewhere.
Do you get decent mobile broadband where you live? Plenty of deals on unlimited data. Use an old phone add a mobile hotspot and tether to that . Cheap option, and some of the deals are contract free.
Ringfinger21/05/2020 16:06

Do you get decent mobile broadband where you live? Plenty of deals on …Do you get decent mobile broadband where you live? Plenty of deals on unlimited data. Use an old phone add a mobile hotspot and tether to that . Cheap option, and some of the deals are contract free.

Unfortunately no, the best is EE but patchy as being in the hills, hence the reason we are with BT mobile.
Does anybody know if there is an issue with Apple products ie Macbook Pro and the BT hub?
My son is sat next to me in the lounge and just done a speed test and got 0.3 mgb. I did the same on my samsung phone and got 70mgb
what is the source of your speed test, If your on 52mb how was it possible to achieve 70mb?
samosa21/05/2020 16:25

what is the source of your speed test, If your on 52mb how was it possible …what is the source of your speed test, If your on 52mb how was it possible to achieve 70mb?

We get more than the advertised speed and always have. We use the speed test app and also bt test the hub and it also shows 70mgb.

We are obviously more than happy with what speed we get sat next to the hub, it is the wifi which is the issue.

I wondered whether BT hubs have any issues with macbooks etc. Connectivity wise.
ladymarmalade21/05/2020 16:27

We get more than the advertised speed and always have. We use the speed …We get more than the advertised speed and always have. We use the speed test app and also bt test the hub and it also shows 70mgb.We are obviously more than happy with what speed we get sat next to the hub, it is the wifi which is the issue.I wondered whether BT hubs have any issues with macbooks etc. Connectivity wise.

Try posting on the BTforums. 9 Years ago now I had some severe issues and got fedup calling getting the same standard responses each time. After posting on the forum someone from Outreach (back then BTWholesale) locally to myself actually picked up the call.

community.bt.com/t5/…743
Going to be honest with you, OP. I have always had issues in one room of our house with Wifi. Tried all the wall plugs you can think of and still it wouldn’t work.

BT suggested upgrading to the whole home package. They sent us the SmartHub 2 and one disc. (You can have up to 3 at no cost). Solved it instantly. Ordered another disc just to have full wifi coverage across the house. So it does work and I had issues prior to it being a thing anyway (plus I used a non BT router prior to it as well).

Have you tried to haggle with them on the Complete Home Wifi? We got upgraded for only £5 extra a month and we weren’t paying full price prior to that either.

ladymarmalade21/05/2020 16:27

I wondered whether BT hubs have any issues with macbooks etc. Connectivity …I wondered whether BT hubs have any issues with macbooks etc. Connectivity wise.

This is a very big possibility. When we had an iMac and an earlier generation of Apple TV, both had problems with the Wifi on a BT hub. Replaced it with a TP-Link router and all was good again.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 21st May
Biddy221/05/2020 16:38

Going to be honest with you, OP. I have always had issues in one room of …Going to be honest with you, OP. I have always had issues in one room of our house with Wifi. Tried all the wall plugs you can think of and still it wouldn’t work. BT suggested upgrading to the whole home package. They sent us the SmartHub 2 and one disc. (You can have up to 3 at no cost). Solved it instantly. Ordered another disc just to have full wifi coverage across the house. So it does work and I had issues prior to it being a thing anyway (plus I used a non BT router prior to it as well).Have you tried to haggle with them on the Complete Home Wifi? We got upgraded for only £5 extra a month and we weren’t paying full price prior to that either. This is a very big possibility. When we had an iMac and an earlier generation of Apple TV, both had problems with the Wifi on a BT hub. Replaced it with a TP-Link router and all was good again.

I feel like all they have tried to do is upgrade me to the more expensive package.

I was offered it at an extra £10 per month ( we pay £22 for fibre 1) obviously this will put me in a new contract but I nearly went for it until she said I would only receive one disc then have to keep calling for more.
I already have the new hub so could probably buy the disc cheaper than £10per month for the whole contract...unless I am missing something?

We didnt have the issue previously so am cynical
ladymarmalade21/05/2020 16:16

Does anybody know if there is an issue with Apple products ie Macbook Pro …Does anybody know if there is an issue with Apple products ie Macbook Pro and the BT hub? My son is sat next to me in the lounge and just done a speed test and got 0.3 mgb. I did the same on my samsung phone and got 70mgb

If you have manually split the SSID on the hub then yes, there are quite a few temperamental Apple devices that don’t like the 5ghz frequency. I would not bother splitting the SSID, as the hub should do that for you anyway.
JohnnyRoller21/05/2020 16:46

If you have manually split the SSID on the hub then yes, there are quite a …If you have manually split the SSID on the hub then yes, there are quite a few temperamental Apple devices that don’t like the 5ghz frequency. I would not bother splitting the SSID, as the hub should do that for you anyway.

We now have the new hub that does this automatically they have said. The old hub I have gone through splitting all the devices up. The macbook pro is a few days old 2020 model, he has just sent the same macbook back which he had 6 wks due to keyboard issues and that was struggling to connect to the hub too.
ladymarmalade21/05/2020 15:51

Honestly I have spent hours over the last few weeks trying to solve this. …Honestly I have spent hours over the last few weeks trying to solve this. They use a different advisor everytime so I have to go through it all again and all the tests again. They do it to grind you down I am sure.Anyway I am today cancelling 3 BT mobile contracts as they are no longer in contract. When the broadband phone and sport is up in January I will cancel.This cannot be a coincidence as the wifi worked perfectly well until this "upgrade" was introduced. They said they would give it for an extra £10 per month and I was tempted as they said 4 discs and I am so worn down. She then mentioned you only get one disc to start then you have to go through it all again to get extra discs.

they said you can have 4 discs, but you have to start with one?

that’s ridiculous

that’s something you say to a child.
you can have one sweet, and if you eat your greens, you can have 3 more

or being put on a new prescription.
start with one, and then we’ll try you on 2-3 more
I work for BT (Openreach) so my opinion is bias but here’s my advice:

Wifi sucks.
It has always sucked.
It will always suck.

There’s a hundred variables as to why your speeds have dropped. Could be new devices in your home, could be neighbour’s Wi-fi interfering etc.

Hardwire things using ethernet cables at every opportunity - I never have issues.
ladymarmalade21/05/2020 16:43

I feel like all they have tried to do is upgrade me to the more expensive …I feel like all they have tried to do is upgrade me to the more expensive package.I was offered it at an extra £10 per month ( we pay £22 for fibre 1) obviously this will put me in a new contract but I nearly went for it until she said I would only receive one disc then have to keep calling for more.I already have the new hub so could probably buy the disc cheaper than £10per month for the whole contract...unless I am missing something?We didnt have the issue previously so am cynical

I didn’t have to call when I ordered my second disc. Did it through the BT app.

Think of any new devices you have bought. Turn the wifi off on those then test the connection again with an older device. Is the Macbook new when you previously had a windows laptop for example? It’s likely an issue with something in your house. (Apple devices don’t play well with some BT hubs)

A new router can sometimes make all the difference though so maybe try going down that path first if you’ve already used home plugs and not changed any devices in your home/ruled out any wifi congestion issues.

Also try downloading a Wifi analyser app onto your phone as they can show how congested the signals are in your home.
The BT customer services people know almost nothing about the technical issues and work from scripts. WiFi being radio based can suffer from interference that can happen at any time. You probably need to know what has caused the degradation before you can fix it. Probably clash of channel with a nearby AP but could also be many other things. People hate spending money on professional help for computer/networking issues but you might just have to bite the bullet and do that. Alternative is to try random things and hope you stumble on a solution (which may fail again at some random future time).
InetUID21/05/2020 18:32

The BT customer services people know almost nothing about the technical …The BT customer services people know almost nothing about the technical issues and work from scripts. WiFi being radio based can suffer from interference that can happen at any time. You probably need to know what has caused the degradation before you can fix it. Probably clash of channel with a nearby AP but could also be many other things. People hate spending money on professional help for computer/networking issues but you might just have to bite the bullet and do that. Alternative is to try random things and hope you stumble on a solution (which may fail again at some random future time).

Unfortunately we are in shielding until at least next year. A lot to ask an 18 year old to not leave the front door for nearly a year as we have not been out since the beginning of March. His macbook is his life at the moment. Nobody can come in the house at all.

I will try some of the suggestions and keep on with the speed tests. If it was possible to run an ethernet from the hub to his bedroom 15 metres away, would this be the best solution?

Thanks again everyone.
Get one of those, problem solved ui.com/uni…ro/
Buckyball21/05/2020 18:48

Get one of those, problem solved https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Just had a quick look at these and they have great reviews.

Where would I need to install this as I gather it needs a direct ethernet feed, also does it need seperate power. We have only just finished plastering ceilings and having floorboards up so running cables might really piss my other half off 😁
deleted2412628
samosa21/05/2020 15:41

I had similar problem. To fix it, i stopped using the smarthub as an …I had similar problem. To fix it, i stopped using the smarthub as an access point and connected my own wifi router.

Would always recommend this, the cheapest routers are generally the TPlink, like the archer C7 we have is flawless pretty much.
It also has the added benefit of being your router which you can be sure they can't nose around in (broadband companies often leave back doors in for support believe it or not)
Edited by: "deleted2412628" 21st May
ladymarmalade21/05/2020 18:42

If it was possible to run an ethernet from the hub to his bedroom 15 …If it was possible to run an ethernet from the hub to his bedroom 15 metres away, would this be the best solution?Thanks again everyone.

This would remove the WiFi issue and give the best connection. Does his Mac have an ethernet port?
InetUID21/05/2020 21:06

This would remove the WiFi issue and give the best connection. Does his …This would remove the WiFi issue and give the best connection. Does his Mac have an ethernet port?

No it doesn't but I'm sure he has one of those multi connector things as he wanted connect his phone and imac and I seem to remember it had a port on there. I will check
Go on the router and separate the 2.4 and 5g channels. About 9 months ago they set them so a single channel name would work as either frequency and in a lot of cases it caused issues.
When I was BT I'd register the initial complaint going through the rigmarole of agents using scripts, then proceed to contacting the CEO direct. You are then dealing with the executive office, basically someone from the UK and techies who you will still struggle to convince but at least you can make progress. A few years ago I refused to close a complaint which is their main aim until I received the latest smart hub, initially were expecting me to cough up £50 but sent one out as I stuck to my guns
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions