BT FTTC Cabinet possibility? What do the spray markings mean.

Found 2nd Feb 2014
So basically... BT wouldn't install FTTC as it wasn't financially viable. But we're being included in the digital Durham roll out. Have no definitive date... But noticed our cabinet was dug round the outside....

When I look in wholesale... They're looking for an alternative site to install cabinet and that's as far as it's gone until I'd noticed the above.

Here's a picture... If anyone can explain what they could mean I'd be thankful. Cheers

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
26 Comments

Original Poster

Here it is here. Far letters are E. https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/923427_10151900038781845_317100913_n.jpg

DarrylJohn

Here it is here. Far letters are E.

I don't know myself, but if you take some close-up photos of the markings on a smartphone, then show an Openreach engineer when you next see one. Sorry, that's the best advice I can give. lol.

No idea, But very sad isnt it, im in the Welsh Braodband Rollout with a date of June 2014 i live pretyy clsoe to the exchange so hoping im in the first batch of installs.

Think those markings are for whoever is due to dig up that pavement for whatever reason, maybe google highways and pavement markings, from what I see the E is probably underground elec cables with the obvious FHA next to a fire hydrant point and the Bt is probably telephone trunk cables,

Yep when they did up road etc they need to mark up other utilities so they don't hit them

I think you should buy a can of White aerosol paint and do a load of other markers to confuse the diggers.

Original Poster

Aasudbury

Think those markings are for whoever is due to dig up that pavement for … Think those markings are for whoever is due to dig up that pavement for whatever reason, maybe google highways and pavement markings, from what I see the E is probably underground elec cables with the obvious FHA next to a fire hydrant point and the Bt is probably telephone trunk cables,

Ah that makes sense. So if they're digging it up... Something must be progressing... Surely the planning permission must have been finally granted if work is commencing.

Our exchange has been active for Atleast a year... This is just a cabinet that probably serves around 200 households... So dunno why it wasn't financially viable.

I've been in touch with alot of people... BT applied for planning permission it was denied... And it took BT over a year to apply for another plot. So slow. Highways agency refused it initially as an fttc box would restrict views of cars apparently.

Aasudbury

Think those markings are for whoever is due to dig up that pavement for … Think those markings are for whoever is due to dig up that pavement for whatever reason, maybe google highways and pavement markings, from what I see the E is probably underground elec cables with the obvious FHA next to a fire hydrant point and the Bt is probably telephone trunk cables,

This is right, the site has been surveyed and hidden services have been marked up so that they ain't dug into when work is undertaken.

roadworks.org/

that will tell you whats planned

Original Poster

deanos

http://roadworks.org/that will tell you whats planned

Thanks,

Just had a look! Unfortunately nothing is coming up

Looks like there has already been an excavation look at the new tarmac near the FH cover

On that site don't forget to tick the "next 12 month" box

Original Poster

Yeah it's been like that for sometime. I know Spennymoor is in the first phase. But dunno when it will be active. Where it says BT... Use to stand a BT phone box but was removed.

Original Poster

Popped down just after work. Noticed that the cabinet has been updated. Still standalone... It states ccc cab 7/7. Any ideas what this is? Googled it and only had 2 results.

All cabinets have a number

btwholesale.com/inc…tml

Go to that link and put your BT number and will show what cabinet you are on and what services you can get and speeds etc , if you don't have a BT number try a neighbors (needs to be someone on your street) , will not work if you are with another provider needs to be a BT number

Original Poster

Yeah I'm aware of that site. Been on it far too many times lol.. States this... (has done for the past 4-5 months)

... FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry other utility services are in the agreed site for your cabinet. We're looking for a new site..

Original Poster

Been told it's been reshelled and it's been surveyed.

Also know, that it's in phase one - due to be completed around April - June.. So fingers crossed.

Original Poster

Bit of an update - There' s currently work being undertaken. It's not at exact location above, it's where the road sign is on the photo above. I'm gonna go get a picture to see what people think - Could be a coincidence... but I don't think it is.

Original Poster

Fibre Cabinet base?

http://i60.tinypic.com/6z263k.jpg
Edited by: "DarrylJohn" 30th Mar 2014

Did you have a cabinet before? as I am understanding they upgrade the cabinets not install brand new ones from scratch.

otherwise you may have a EO (exchange only line) if this is the case, then they may be installing a PCD which is a break point for fibre to keep speeds fast between your exchange and you home.

Original Poster

Hi, no we've only had an old cabinet which has been there years, this was reshelled a few weeks ago but is purely copper. So fibre isn't yet available to us

Depends on the cabinet. Old cabs that serve an area may not have enough space for the cooling kit needed for fibre.
We have an old cab and a much bigger new one with vents. That is the five cab.

As for the makings, fh ifs fire hydrant, which is what has been dug up.
Bt is obvious and e is electricity.
Yes that pic looks like a base for another cab. What are the dimensions?

Original Poster

hapless

As for the makings, fh ifs fire hydrant, which is what has been dug up.Bt … As for the makings, fh ifs fire hydrant, which is what has been dug up.Bt is obvious and e is electricity.Yes that pic looks like a base for another cab. What are the dimensions?

I didn't get the measurements, just a picture really! But as you can see it's a rectangle.. Similar picture can be found here - http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/455/292/455292586_640.jpg

Original Poster

Engineer coming on 19th to install. Will be getting 75-80 estimated... Good times!

DarrylJohn

Engineer coming on 19th to install. Will be getting 75-80 estimated... … Engineer coming on 19th to install. Will be getting 75-80 estimated... Good times!

Lucky you...

Pembroke Dock is being rolled out from June under Superfast Cymru but i am concerned i may be last on the list as Exchange Only lines have been confirmed to be upgraded i think they may be last to do so, although a positive note, as my area has only a small select EO lines of about 100 homes, FTTH is a big possibility.

Original Poster

haritori

Lucky you...Pembroke Dock is being rolled out from June under Superfast … Lucky you...Pembroke Dock is being rolled out from June under Superfast Cymru but i am concerned i may be last on the list as Exchange Only lines have been confirmed to be upgraded i think they may be last to do so, although a positive note, as my area has only a small select EO lines of about 100 homes, FTTH is a big possibility.

Our exchange has been enabled for a couple of years but BT didn't upgrade our cabinet due to costs. So we got it upgraded by digital durham who were government funded. Don't think it will serve many homes, but it's right next to us essentially, hence the near full speed capable. FTTH will be good.... But I'm happy with the FTTC being a street away. Some FTTC is slower than ADSL, so pleased I don't live far from cabinet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions