BT FTTP fibre to the premises/home

Posted 22nd OctEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Hi I have BT fibre to my home so now have 2 lines coming into my house, the original copper line for phone service and the fibre line coming directly into the fibre modem, my question is does anyone know if I can stand my ground and get the landline disconnected, my reason for no longer wanting the line us it never gets used apart from calls from scams.

I have tried calling BT a few times but I only get through to foreign call centres and they tell me you need the phone line for the internet connection, they are not understanding that I have 2 lines supplied by BT. It does not help that most areas just have fibre to the cabinet and obviously the all centre staff are just working to a script.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Unplug your phone?

Guessing you're still tied to a phone line rental though..
adam_holcombe22/10/2019 15:13

Unplug your phone? Guessing you're still tied to a phone line rental …Unplug your phone? Guessing you're still tied to a phone line rental though..

No past my contract period but it is also the principal of paying for a copper line I don't need or use
SOUTHWALES22/10/2019 15:17

No past my contract period but it is also the principal of paying for a …No past my contract period but it is also the principal of paying for a copper line I don't need or use

No, I mean the contract for provision of fibre probably stipulates you must have a phone line.
Can you get Hyperoptic on your FTTP line?
If so, they offer broadband without phone line. You could then cancel the line with BT surely?
Openreach FTTP will often provide a phone line service too, I think it's a standard part of the BT retail packages so they're not going to disable that.

If you have got a second line you're receiving a second bill for then you can cancel it. I haven't used BT in years, but a quick check on their website suggests the service is tied to an account number. Are you sure you're quoting the one for the phone-only line?
adam_holcombe22/10/2019 15:13

Unplug your phone? Guessing you're still tied to a phone line rental …Unplug your phone? Guessing you're still tied to a phone line rental though..

Beat me to it. Yes if you don't use it just unplug it. I assume you are with BT because they offered the best deal on Broadband at the time and not because you wanted a phone, so just unplug the thing.
I don't think BT retail offer fttp only without a phone line yet, you might be able to switch to an ISP that does once you are out of contract, but it may not be cheaper.

See ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml
qwales22/10/2019 15:34

Beat me to it. Yes if you don't use it just unplug it. I assume you are …Beat me to it. Yes if you don't use it just unplug it. I assume you are with BT because they offered the best deal on Broadband at the time and not because you wanted a phone, so just unplug the thing.

I unplugged mine months ago too
melted22/10/2019 15:51

I don't think BT retail offer fttp only without a phone line yet, you …I don't think BT retail offer fttp only without a phone line yet, you might be able to switch to an ISP that does once you are out of contract, but it may not be cheaper.See https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/bts-landline-phone-bundling-full-fibre-packages-cause-confusion.html

This is correct and also the situation I'm in. Problem is no-one else really offers FTTP only so you can't shop around. Very annoying.

My house was a new build so there is no copper. Essentially they are charging me for a phone line I don't have. They still insist there is no alternative to this with them. Feels a bit dodgy to me.
Edited by: "g8spur" 22nd Oct
I've had BT FTTP since 2018 great service but does annoy me why we need to pay for phone line since it doesn't need it
g8spur22/10/2019 16:33

This is correct and also the situation I'm in. Problem is no-one else …This is correct and also the situation I'm in. Problem is no-one else really offers FTTP only so you can't shop around. Very annoying.My house was a new build so there is no copper. Essentially they are charging me for a phone line I don't have. They still insist there is no alternative to this with them. Feels a bit dodgy to me.

A&A perhaps, but probably more expensive than BT aa.net.uk/bro…e1/

I would imagine they'll still charge line rental once copper is finally phased out but if they are including fees for voice calls, they ought to be bundling a VOIP number if they can't provide copper.
BT price FTTP the same as FTTC, so the phone line is part of the bundle price you pay, it won't be reduced without it.
Once SOGEA is launched, then it will might be an option.

This is correct and also the situation I'm in. Problem is no-one else …This is correct and also the situation I'm in. Problem is no-one else really offers FTTP only so you can't shop around. Very annoying.My house was a new build so there is no copper. Essentially they are charging me for a phone line I don't have. They still insist there is no alternative to this with them. Feels a bit dodgy to me.

As the phone service is delivered over FTTP and part of the standard openreach ONT ('fibre modem') there's little money to be saved by disabling the ability to make phone calls. It's not taking up any bandwidth if you don't make use of it
You do know phoneline and internet package prices are now bundled together as one, so you arent paying seperately for line rental.
Both are one package, so you have to have the line, as well as broadband. Just how BT do it.
Justsuperman22/10/2019 16:40

I've had BT FTTP since 2018 great service but does annoy me why we need to …I've had BT FTTP since 2018 great service but does annoy me why we need to pay for phone line since it doesn't need it

Complain to ofcom

Complain to ofcom
They set prices for services, broadband and phoneline, in accordance with OFCOM regulations.
No scope for a complaint really.
Iirc phone rental covers the cost of the installation, wear and tear and general maintenance of the line so I'd assume with fibre you'd still need to pay something similar.
I switched to Zen when I got FTTP installed in March, and was able to get it without the landline. Only saves £2/month, but still worth it…
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants