BT Home Hub 6 Wifi Connection Issues

Posted 3rd Mar
Cut long story short,

I upgraded from home hub 5 to 6 and have since been experiencing wifi signal drop outs with all my devices, not just the one. It contentiously drops with my iPhone, IPad and Surface Laptop so it definitely is not a device issue.

I have forgotten network and re-entered my security key, i have restarted the router numerous times and it is absolutely driving me up the wall...

I have had to resort to using my phone on 4G and even that is not holding up signal for some odd reason (o2).

I have split the network on the router so one is 2.4GHZ and the other is 5 (forgive me if i have got the ghz wrong) and that still does not change anything (i did not have to do this with home hub 5)

Can anyone tell me if you have experienced the same issue?
If you know of this and have bought a new router please suggest one to me (and if its an easy set up)?Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Do u have bands merged? Sometimes splitting them can help. Connect to either renamed split bands. Could be congested channel issues
ChuckTheDuck03/03/2020 11:55

Do u have bands merged? Sometimes splitting them can help. Connect to …Do u have bands merged? Sometimes splitting them can help. Connect to either renamed split bands. Could be congested channel issues

Yeah this. Go into the settings of your router and split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands to their own ssid
ChuckTheDuck03/03/2020 11:55

Do u have bands merged? Sometimes splitting them can help. Connect to …Do u have bands merged? Sometimes splitting them can help. Connect to either renamed split bands. Could be congested channel issues

I have split them into two but still disconnects, i cannot tell whether it's the actual router or if it is congestion.. BT Home Hub 6 is suppose to have great wifi signal.
punji03/03/2020 11:58

I have split them into two but still disconnects, i cannot tell whether …I have split them into two but still disconnects, i cannot tell whether it's the actual router or if it is congestion.. BT Home Hub 6 is suppose to have great wifi signal.

Change channel (not auto) - maybe try moving router too
ChuckTheDuck03/03/2020 12:04

Change channel (not auto) - maybe try moving router too

I will give changing the channels a go... would this affect anything though make it slower etc?
have you still got the older home hub 5 router? if so, switch back to it. it worked before, so why change?
tardytortoise03/03/2020 12:21

have you still got the older home hub 5 router? if so, switch back to it. …have you still got the older home hub 5 router? if so, switch back to it. it worked before, so why change?

BT Upgraded my connection to a faster speed and sent out the new router. From what i read you cant revert back to the old router as it does not have a modem built in?
Hub5 should support everything BT offer.

The smart hub is, in my experience, garbage. I had the same issues as you, with wireless being useless because of the frequent disconnects. BT couldn't offer a fix and the same thing happened with 2 replacements- so i went back to my Hub5 and all the issues went away.

I now use an old fibre modem (one of the Openreach ones from a few years back) hacked as my router and just use the Hubs for wifi, but the hub6 still doesn't perform even as an access point so doesn't have a place in my network. This setup has been stable through 3 different providers now.
Are you using more than one router or ap? If so they have to be on different IP addresses to avoid conflicts. If one is on 192.168.0.1 then the other should be on say 192.168.1.1 ,etc.
yorkie1203/03/2020 12:36

Are you using more than one router or ap? If so they have to be on …Are you using more than one router or ap? If so they have to be on different IP addresses to avoid conflicts. If one is on 192.168.0.1 then the other should be on say 192.168.1.1 ,etc.

nope, just the one bt router...
lilbeastie03/03/2020 12:36

Hub5 should support everything BT offer.The smart hub is, in my …Hub5 should support everything BT offer.The smart hub is, in my experience, garbage. I had the same issues as you, with wireless being useless because of the frequent disconnects. BT couldn't offer a fix and the same thing happened with 2 replacements- so i went back to my Hub5 and all the issues went away.I now use an old fibre modem (one of the Openreach ones from a few years back) hacked as my router and just use the Hubs for wifi, but the hub6 still doesn't perform even as an access point so doesn't have a place in my network. This setup has been stable through 3 different providers now.

So if i purchase an Openreach modem, how does it work is it as simple as plug in and go or do i need to configure something?
You could try setting static IP addresses on each of your devices.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 3rd Mar
punji03/03/2020 12:31

BT Upgraded my connection to a faster speed and sent out the new router. …BT Upgraded my connection to a faster speed and sent out the new router. From what i read you cant revert back to the old router as it does not have a modem built in?

The home hub 5 has a built in VDSL modem.

The newer models just have better wifi range and faster processors.

As they've upped your VDSL sync speed, are you sure it is wifi dropping, rather than your internet connection (check the router's line stats).
Edited by: "melted" 3rd Mar
im not with bt (virgin), can u not use the bt router as modem only and buy a asus router for wifi? this is what i'm doing with virgin. bought ac68u initially and couple of year no issue, now upgraded with as 86u. really happy with asus router.
Edited by: "crazydealhunter" 3rd Mar
melted03/03/2020 13:05

The home hub 5 has a built in VDSL modem.The newer models just have better …The home hub 5 has a built in VDSL modem.The newer models just have better wifi range and faster processors.As they've upped your VDSL sync speed, are you sure it is wifi dropping, rather than your internet connection (check the router's line stats).

The light on the router appears to be blue meaning it’s connected it’s literally the Wi-fi disconnecting every 5 minutes perhaps ... I’ll check the stats and see if it’s the router disconnecting itself but I’m certain it’s the signal and not the actual connection through the filter
It's likely just faulty example. It's something to be given away free for basic needs so faulty units do happen. If it's brand new BT will probably send you out another. If it's been a year or so then they'd probably only do that with a new contract.

punji03/03/2020 12:42

So if i purchase an Openreach modem, how does it work is it as simple as …So if i purchase an Openreach modem, how does it work is it as simple as plug in and go or do i need to configure something?

No. If you're on VDSL/FTTC then the HH5 will work fine. If you're not the old openreach modems won't work.

IIRC the only service BT provide that might use an inbuilt modem that a relatively recent router might not support is G.Fast. I believe they brand those services Ultrafast, although those packages are also delivered over full fibre connections.

The full fibre services use a wall-mounted openreach-branded 'modem' called an ONT.

You will need to work out which service you're on if you want to buy a third party router.
EndlessWaves03/03/2020 13:33

It's likely just faulty example. It's something to be given away free for …It's likely just faulty example. It's something to be given away free for basic needs so faulty units do happen. If it's brand new BT will probably send you out another. If it's been a year or so then they'd probably only do that with a new contract.No. If you're on VDSL/FTTC then the HH5 will work fine. If you're not the old openreach modems won't work. IIRC the only service BT provide that might use an inbuilt modem that a relatively recent router might not support is G.Fast. I believe they brand those services Ultrafast, although those packages are also delivered over full fibre connections. The full fibre services use a wall-mounted openreach-branded 'modem' called an ONT. You will need to work out which service you're on if you want to buy a third party router.

Superfast Firbre 1 if that helps?

It goes through the phone plug socket using a filter.
You could try using BT router as just a modem and buy a cheap Tenda AC7 off fleabay. That's what I use (with Virgin Router) and it gets me reliable wifi all round the house.
ebay.co.uk/itm…~pq
Edited by: "yorkie12" 3rd Mar
punji03/03/2020 12:42

So if i purchase an Openreach modem, how does it work is it as simple as …So if i purchase an Openreach modem, how does it work is it as simple as plug in and go or do i need to configure something?

If you want plug and play, the way I have my Openreach modem set up is not what you're looking for. There are many advantages but it requires hacking the firmware on the device so if you don't need it (and you'd know if you did) then don't worry about it.

All you really need to do is unplug the wires from your Hub6 and plug them into your Hub5. The Hub5 can do everything the 6 can anyway barring some "smart" wifi stuff that isn't really much use and obviously isn't working for you anyway!

Swap back to the 5 and complain to BT that the 6 you have is faulty and get a replacment. If that's no better then I'd just stick with the 5 anyway. For Superfast 1 the Hub5 is more than capable for most setups.
lilbeastie03/03/2020 19:18

If you want plug and play, the way I have my Openreach modem set up is not …If you want plug and play, the way I have my Openreach modem set up is not what you're looking for. There are many advantages but it requires hacking the firmware on the device so if you don't need it (and you'd know if you did) then don't worry about it.All you really need to do is unplug the wires from your Hub6 and plug them into your Hub5. The Hub5 can do everything the 6 can anyway barring some "smart" wifi stuff that isn't really much use and obviously isn't working for you anyway!Swap back to the 5 and complain to BT that the 6 you have is faulty and get a replacment. If that's no better then I'd just stick with the 5 anyway. For Superfast 1 the Hub5 is more than capable for most setups.

Thank you, I shall try that tonight in that case. If the only main difference with the 6 compared to the 5 smart wifi then that is not a problem, so long it does not compromise speed, my main issue is just the WiFi signal, being able to stream without buffering and stopping and losing connection with skype calls is a real pain in the jacksy! i even tried a signal extender by tp link and even that kept losing signal so clearly it is the router that is causing the problem.

Anyway ill give it a go.. no harm in trying.
The Hub5 is more than capable of supporting Fibre 1 (50Mb) at full speed. In fact it'll easily do Fibre 2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants