BT Home Hub - Bandwidth Usage HELP!

Found 31st May 2011
Hey people,

I have BT broadband with a 10GB limit. We have multiple computers all connecting to the same network and keep being told that we are over our limit by 10GB+!!

I am wondering if there are any forms of traffic management where I can limit the amount of bandwidth each system gets per month to make sure I don't go over this limit?

My router is a BT Home Hub, after reading about bandwidth limiting I came across QoS but I do not think this service is offered by BT.

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated!
Community Updates
MiscBT
9 Comments
Anyone?
I talked to BT when they put up the charge for exceeding the 10gig limit, ended up with 40gig limit for less!!! give them a call after all you have nothing to lose.
What meliona said, move broadband package.

Quality of Service is for traffic prioritisation, not setting download limits (ie: give Skype voice/video chat priority over any current downloads, so it runs without lagg).
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 31st May 2011
Seems from what I have read the home hub doesn't have the features you require. So from a technical point of view you have two options. Buy a router to use along side the home hub that has features to limit bandwidth, days, times etc or set up parental controls blocking heavy usage websites like youtube, iplayer etc. Both have limitations and take the fun out of the internet.

The better option is talk to everybody involved and say were using too much and get everybody (deduct from pocket money for kids) to chip in a little each month and upgrade your package.

The last option is send the kids to places that have free wifi.
I just did a little test and after going onto youtube, the download was at
0MB and then after 10 seconds of the youtube video being on it was at 4MB!!!!! Is that even possible, I can't believe it is that high?!
Get more allowance.
We were on the 40gb plan shared between 3 computers and sometimes another 2 laptops. We are pretty heavy users but weren't torrenting at the time or the likes but we were still over by 40gb a month (we never got a letter as they claim to do)

We have now switched to the unlimited plan.

10gb is not an awful lot for multiple computers nowadays....the maths:

say for argument 2 computers:
5gb Each per 30 days
5000 / 30 = ~160-170MB Per day

That is not a lot of bandwidth when you consider traffic up and down and if any gaming takes place.
Iplayer will rip through 400mb per hour+, Youtube is also really heavy on usage.
SAVE4IT

I just did a little test and after going onto youtube, the download was … I just did a little test and after going onto youtube, the download was at 0MB and then after 10 seconds of the youtube video being on it was at 4MB!!!!! Is that even possible, I can't believe it is that high?!

Quite simply yes.
10gb is not nearly enough in this day and age with connections as fast as they are. Doubly so if you are connecting with more than one computer.

Do yourself a favour, call them and get upped to the 40gb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants