BT HomeHub Faulty - replacement suggestions

Posted 5th Apr
I have a homehub 6 which is currently not outputting to lan connections, there’s also some sort of issue connecting to PS4’s as they don’t recognise the dns and keep asking for a proxy.

Can anyone recommend a router which can directly replace a bt home hub and is easy to setup?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Try turning off Smart Setup in the BT Hub web settings.
SUMMONER05/04/2020 16:09

Try turning off Smart Setup in the BT Hub web settings.

Currently is off. I have rebooted, reset it. Tried manual dns settings on PS4.
Ring them, tell them its faulty, they will send you a new one
KingNav36005/04/2020 16:55

Spent hours on hold this week, sent reports through the portal. Useless!

Just going to buy a new one
Have you tried assigning static IPs to your LAN devices?
captainbeaky05/04/2020 17:09

Have you tried assigning static IPs to your LAN devices?

I have not, to be honest I don’t have a clue what I’m at
imthebest05/04/2020 17:20

I have not, to be honest I don’t have a clue what I’m at

Probably best to replace like for like, or at least like for BT like, then when you ever need real assistance from BT you won't be hit with the greasy shoulder response of "it's not our kit so we cannot help you".
imthebest05/04/2020 16:59

Spent hours on hold this week, sent reports through the portal. Useless! …Spent hours on hold this week, sent reports through the portal. Useless! Just going to buy a new one

They sent me out one no problem.
They're cheap on ebay. Bt lock you to their router so you won't have much luck with another make. A plusnet one will work as well but unless they've changed it its the older version of the bt router.
dcx_badass05/04/2020 19:34

They're cheap on ebay. Bt lock you to their router so you won't have much …They're cheap on ebay. Bt lock you to their router so you won't have much luck with another make. A plusnet one will work as well but unless they've changed it its the older version of the bt router.

Not true, you can use your own.

But they do lock their routers so they can't be used with a non-BT owned ISP. And for recent customers, they remain BT's property, and have to be returned at the end of the contract.
Edited by: "melted" 5th Apr
Just tell them it has no power to it, won’t turn on and you have no connection
BT will send you a replacement but it may take a little while especially with the Bank Holidays coming up. When mine failed one Christmas I temporarily replaced it with tp-link TD-W9970 modem router - worked fine with BT
amazon.co.uk/TP-…A6M
If you were looking for a permanent replacement - you might want to spend a bit more....
Edited by: "gari189" 5th Apr
KingNav36005/04/2020 16:55

no they wont unless its in warranty or out of contract as part of a resign deal
jase.205/04/2020 23:50

no they wont unless its in warranty or out of contract as part of a resign …no they wont unless its in warranty or out of contract as part of a resign deal

Not really.....
In your terms of service, a communications provider has to provide you with a service.
If your hub stops working they are not providing you with the service, irrespective of warranty or contract, they are bound by their terms and have to send you a new one.

A good salesman would always try to re-sign you to a new deal, as opposed to send a out of contract customer a replacement hub.
Just how businesses work.
MWC201205/04/2020 20:39

Just tell them it has no power to it, won’t turn on and you have no c …Just tell them it has no power to it, won’t turn on and you have no connection

They can check if a hub is on or not via remote tests.
And if you have an active connection to the house.

You can of course, turn it off and ring them and they wouldnt know any better.
NO BT do NOT lock you to their router !!!!!!! I am with BT and use my own Netgear Nighthawk Router with NO problems at all.
KingNav36006/04/2020 00:04

Not really.....In your terms of service, a communications provider has to …Not really.....In your terms of service, a communications provider has to provide you with a service. If your hub stops working they are not providing you with the service, irrespective of warranty or contract, they are bound by their terms and have to send you a new one. A good salesman would always try to re-sign you to a new deal, as opposed to send a out of contract customer a replacement hub. Just how businesses work.

no they are not - int he same manner if you have a long term mobile contract and the phone breaks after 18 months a mobile network wont replace it just as BT wont replace a broken router that is out of warranty
jase.206/04/2020 18:51

no they are not - int he same manner if you have a long term mobile …no they are not - int he same manner if you have a long term mobile contract and the phone breaks after 18 months a mobile network wont replace it just as BT wont replace a broken router that is out of warranty

You say that like you work for BT or something.......

I am telling you they replace them.
Mobile phones are different. Hubs dont cost much to replace and are mass produced at a very cheap price.
Mobiles are rather more expensive.
KingNav36006/04/2020 21:04

You say that like you work for BT or something.......I am telling you they …You say that like you work for BT or something.......I am telling you they replace them. Mobile phones are different. Hubs dont cost much to replace and are mass produced at a very cheap price. Mobiles are rather more expensive.

and im telling you they dont! Yes if your out of contract you might get one as part of a resign deal but there is no right to a second hub in any terms and conditions
Just for the record.....anyone with any hub issues, I'll be more than happy to arrange a replacement, contract or no contract.
Thank you.
jase.206/04/2020 21:20

and im telling you they dont! Yes if your out of contract you might get …and im telling you they dont! Yes if your out of contract you might get one as part of a resign deal but there is no right to a second hub in any terms and conditions

Well, if you read the above, and see the quote from the company themselves, then I hope that answers your question/doubt.

40327350-mpHcF.jpg

and im telling you they dont! Yes if your out of contract you might get …and im telling you they dont! Yes if your out of contract you might get one as part of a resign deal but there is no right to a second hub in any terms and conditions

They did in my case and I was in contract. You do have to go through all their testing procedures but if they rule out everything else and they identify the hub as the problem they send you a new one....

They sent me a new one without any hassle
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions