Posted 24th Dec 2021 (Posted 9 h, 57 m ago)
My landline (plusnet) has 17mb. My mobile with EE sim has 80mb speed. I am not with BT but if I switch to BT, with hybrid connect, what will my speed be?

The BT website says 17mb is my predicted speed but if I get the BT deal and unplug the router cable from the phone socket, how long will it let me use the EE connection?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
7 Comments
  1. Avatar
    17Mbps? Is that ADSL broadband, or a seriously compromised fibre speed?
    BT Hybrid is only sold with fibre products, where a fibre product would likely provide realistic speeds above 30Mbps.
    The fastest speed via the Hybrid device is capped at 30Mbps down and a paltry 5Mbps up, assuming the Hybrid device's location and positioning at that location will achieve those speeds.
    Those observations may make your specific question irrelevant.
  2. Avatar
    @AndyRoyd What you posted is incorrect.

Any broadband customer can have the Hybrid connect, it's included as part of Halo 3+ or as a monthly addon @ £7 per month regardless of what technology you have delivering the broadband or the speeds you receive.

The T&Cs show a speed cap, the Halo backup I had exceeded my fixed line speeds, I got over 70mbps but it wasn't a Hybrid, it was the 4G mifi used for total loss of service.
    Edited by: "_-Richie-_" 6 h, 17 m ago
  3. Avatar
    _-Richie-_24/12/2021 14:10

@AndyRoyd What you posted is incorrect.Any broadband customer can have …@AndyRoyd What you posted is incorrect.Any broadband customer can have the Hybrid connect, it's included as part of Halo 3+ or as a monthly addon @ £7 per month regardless of what technology you have delivering the broadband or the speeds you receive.The Hybrid device isn't capped, speeds vary by local EE 4G network speeds, the same applies to the other Halo mifi devices used for other Halo packages.

The speed is capped according to BT's own website at the speeds Andy mentions. I don't know about line types, though putting in an address of a place that doesn't have fibre of any kind doesn't offer me any Halo upselling but does actually push mobile broadband as an alternative to ADSL - also capped to 30Mb.
  4. Avatar
    I had one during a fault, I tested the speeds and got just over 70 mbps, which was faster than my fixed line BB, I told them to take as long as they wanted to fix it, my only gripe was the lack of ethernet port for my main PC which doesn't have wi-fi.

*Edit*
    Updated original reply as T&C's state different to my usage when I had one.
    Edited by: "_-Richie-_" 6 h, 14 m ago
  5. Avatar
    Author
    AndyRoyd24/12/2021 13:31

17Mbps? Is that ADSL broadband, or a seriously compromised fibre speed?BT …17Mbps? Is that ADSL broadband, or a seriously compromised fibre speed?BT Hybrid is only sold with fibre products, where a fibre product would likely provide realistic speeds above 30Mbps.The fastest speed via the Hybrid device is capped at 30Mbps down and a paltry 5Mbps up, assuming the Hybrid device's location and positioning at that location will achieve those speeds.Those observations may make your specific question irrelevant.

We have fibre but normal wires from the cabinet to my house

15 mb download
    1 mb upload

the 30mb EE option is twice the speed of my landline

if I go to the Btinternet website they say that I will get 15-17mb (with guaranteed speed of at least 7)
  6. Avatar
    _-Richie-_24/12/2021 14:10

@AndyRoyd What you posted is incorrect.Any broadband customer can have …@AndyRoyd What you posted is incorrect.Any broadband customer can have the Hybrid connect, it's included as part of Halo 3+ or as a monthly addon @ £7 per month regardless of what technology you have delivering the broadband or the speeds you receive.The T&Cs show a speed cap, the Halo backup I had exceeded my fixed line speeds, I got over 70mbps but it wasn't a Hybrid, it was the 4G mifi used for total loss of service.

Item 2 of T&C for Hybrid Connect is stated below, and specifically indicates eligibility is exclusively to a fibre product.
    Should you disagree with any misleading / incorrect phrase, complain to BT / OFCOM or any other organisation that gives as hit.

2. Who is eligible for Hybrid Connect? You can get Hybrid Connect if you are a new customer buying BT Fibre Broadband or an existing customer re-grading a fibre or full fibre package.

bt.com/ter…ect
  7. Avatar
    if you unplug the socket to use EE over fixed BB it kicks off a repair process at BT as if there is a fault with the fixed broadband so you wouldnt be using it for long before they realise there is no fault and force you back on to fixed network
Post a comment
Top Merchants