BT infinity 1 free upgrade

Found 29th Sep 2017
Just received an email saying my infinity 1 is being upgraded to infinity 2 for free within the next month or so. Judging by the email it seems all infinity 1 customers are being upgraded (if the line permits). Don't even have to sign up to a new contract...which is nice
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Ooh thanks for the heads up. What’s the difference though? At home we have infinity 1 with a BT Hub 4 router (believe it or not, BT replaced our Hub 3 this week with it after we kept getting 2mb/s speeds, which surprised me as I know the BT Hub 6 is out but I guess gotta wait until the contract is renewed )
My contract is up in a month and I'll be going elsewhere. They've had 2 price rises and will be a big jump in price if I stay. Pity as it's the best speeds I've ever had ( min 40mbps). Unfortunately I can't get fibre on my side of the street.
Had similar email this morning, was expecting it as when I renewed contract a week or so back they told me it was in the pipeline. 52mb up to 76 mb , not too shabby .
Original Poster
Dolphinzz8 h, 40 m ago

Ooh thanks for the heads up. What’s the difference though? At home we have …Ooh thanks for the heads up. What’s the difference though? At home we have infinity 1 with a BT Hub 4 router (believe it or not, BT replaced our Hub 3 this week with it after we kept getting 2mb/s speeds, which surprised me as I know the BT Hub 6 is out but I guess gotta wait until the contract is renewed )

It's a jump from 52 mbs to 76 mbs. I have the home hub 6 and it's an excellent bit of kit. Also i'm only 250 yards from the cabinet so I'm expecting good things.
Edited by: "Broxy" 30th Sep 2017
Broxy14 m ago

It's a jump from 52 mbs to 76 mbs. I have the home hub 6 and it's an …It's a jump from 52 mbs to 76 mbs. I have the home hub 6 and it's an excellent bit of kit. Also i'm only 250 yards from the cabinet so I'm expecting good things.

I get these speeds with infinity 1 and Hub 4. Second one is a bit low I think
32134143-51jyw.jpg
Original Poster
Dolphinzz1 h, 30 m ago

I get these speeds with infinity 1 and Hub 4. Second one is a bit low I …I get these speeds with infinity 1 and Hub 4. Second one is a bit low I think[Image]

I currently get around 45 mbs on down and 8 mbs on the up
deleted1597344
Don’t expect much of a speed gain (if any) as you are not achieving the maximum infinity 1 provides.
slightly O/T my BT Infinity 1 12 month package just came to an end and they have asked me to login to upgrade my package for another year. Logged in and it says 52mbps unlimited usage + weekend calls for 18 months and includes line rental.

I was paying similar but that was on a 12 month package which included BT sports and standard TV. What are the best deals people have managed to get from BT when upgrading as an existing custome?. Ideally id like the same as i am on but cheaper.

Thanks
Edited by: "slliw" 30th Sep 2017
slliw19 m ago

slightly O/T my BT Infinity 1 12 month package just came to an end and …slightly O/T my BT Infinity 1 12 month package just came to an end and they have asked me to login to upgrade my package for another year. Logged in and it says 52mbps unlimited usage + weekend calls for 18 months and includes line rental. I was paying similar but that was on a 12 month package which included BT sports and standard TV. What are the best deals people have managed to get from BT when upgrading as an existing custome?. Ideally id like the same as i am on but cheaper.Thanks

Been with BT since May 2007. Currently on a 24 month deal paying £7 per month for Unlimited Infinity 1 Broadband plus £2.50 for the Essential TV package which I have to take in order to get the BT Sport Pack for £1.75. All in, it is £11.25 per month and pay the line rental annually which is a bit cheaper than paying monthly.
Darzen11 h, 39 m ago

My contract is up in a month and I'll be going elsewhere. They've had 2 …My contract is up in a month and I'll be going elsewhere. They've had 2 price rises and will be a big jump in price if I stay. Pity as it's the best speeds I've ever had ( min 40mbps). Unfortunately I can't get fibre on my side of the street.

how do you manage to get 40mbps if fibre isnt on your side of the street then?
jase.22 h, 47 m ago

how do you manage to get 40mbps if fibre isnt on your side of the street …how do you manage to get 40mbps if fibre isnt on your side of the street then?

Down the phone line, it's up to 56mb I think.
Edited by: "Darzen" 30th Sep 2017
deleted1597344
Darzen34 m ago

Down the phone line, it's up to 56mb I think.

40mbps on ADSL not a chance, you must have fibre.
deleted159734430th Sep 2017

40mbps on ADSL not a chance, you must have fibre.

There is no fibre in to the house, I think it's fibre to the nearest cabinet 3 streets away then copper to the house.

Boris Ivanovic, co-founder of Hyperoptic - the start-up behind Britain's first 1Gb fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) broadband service - told LondonLovesBusiness.comthat mainstream providers have "no incentive" to offer ultrafast speeds.

Taking aim at BT's fibre service, he said BT Infinity is no match for what Hyperoptic is able to offer.

"We bring fibre directly to your house. BT Infinity claims to be fibre, but it only uses fibre from the exchange to the cabinet. For the last mile, from the cabinet to the home, it still uses copper [wire], which is why their service suffers performance drops
Darzen1 h, 24 m ago

There is no fibre in to the house, I think it's fibre to the nearest …There is no fibre in to the house, I think it's fibre to the nearest cabinet 3 streets away then copper to the house. Boris Ivanovic, co-founder of Hyperoptic - the start-up behind Britain's first 1Gb fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) broadband service - told LondonLovesBusiness.comthat mainstream providers have "no incentive" to offer ultrafast speeds.Taking aim at BT's fibre service, he said BT Infinity is no match for what Hyperoptic is able to offer."We bring fibre directly to your house. BT Infinity claims to be fibre, but it only uses fibre from the exchange to the cabinet. For the last mile, from the cabinet to the home, it still uses copper [wire], which is why their service suffers performance drops

Yeah it still means you have fibre.... just not all the way to to house but to the cabinet. As mentioned ADSL will have an absolute max of about 18mbs
deleted1597344
jayman19863 h, 38 m ago

Yeah it still means you have fibre.... just not all the way to to house …Yeah it still means you have fibre.... just not all the way to to house but to the cabinet. As mentioned ADSL will have an absolute max of about 18mbs

Exactly this, you will have what is known as FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).
Sloth/Mod
It's still being rolled out. All the info here bt.custhelp.com/app…ade
Just got mine today. Router rebooted now on 76mb
Got it also
Anyone got a screenshot of the email?
So I am on infinity 2 I do not use cloud can I downgrade to infinity 1? I am still in contract though?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions