Groups

BT Infinity any good?

hi I like to know is bt infinity any good as I am thinking of switching to them from virgin media?

22 Comments

Lots of complaints stay away from them

If it aint broke don't fix it. If it is broke then yes BT Infinity is just fine. They tend to be pretty accurate with their speed estimates. So check that first before proceeding. Also check whether or no the BT line socket in your house is still where you want it etc as that is where the new router will be positioned.

BT is a leading supplier they will have lots of complaints
    Edited by: "Niz" 23rd Oct 2016

upload and download speeds are more than three times slower with BT, I have been with them forever and looking to switch out.... to Virgin LOL. I have the top BT package plus wifi boosters in a small terraced hose and I still don't have decent wifi. BT sports lags and breaks down whilst watching footy.....customer service is pathetic.... otherwise they are fine go for it.

Original Poster

I wanted to switch to sky but they are not offering me any good deals even though I am Sky TV customer already.

BT Infinity is fine. No problems here and super fast stable connection. For anyone complaining about speed, access your home hub manager via http://bthomehub.home and you will see your true sync speed. A wireless connection will give you a slower speed because of many different internal factors, this is out of the control of any supplier, however, the new BT Smarthub apparently gives the best wireless range offered by any suppliers standard routers (at the moment).
    Edited by: "robertr" 23rd Oct 2016

I signed up with the recently posted deal with pre paid reward card and TCB for Infinity 1 and it's been faultless so far

robertr

BT Infinity is fine. No problems here and super fast stable connection. … BT Infinity is fine. No problems here and super fast stable connection. For anyone complaining about speed, access your home hub manager via http://bthomehub.home and you will see your true sync speed. A wireless connection will give you a slower speed because of many different internal factors, this is out of the control of any supplier, however, the new BT Smarthub apparently gives the best wireless range offered by any suppliers standard routers (at the moment).

I agree. I had BT Infinity for several years now and I can't fault it. I am lucky that I live in a reasonable size home where WiFI is not a big issue. Again this depends on the router rather than the BT Infinity service. I continuously got the advertised speed and I would like to think I am a heavy user.

Have had it for 18 months with no probs. Home hub is v good tho a bit slow to boot so I always leave it on. Only an extra fiver for the footie too

BT infinity is run by a bunch of idiots who hide behind openreach. They hide behind the openreach if there's any issues they blame it on openreach and how they're different companies. Homehub 5 is ok but apple devices aren't overly keen on it with speed issues. I had speed issues with me paying for 76mb and receiving 39mb which is pretty much the lower tier. BT didn't want to know about this and in the end I ended up replacing the faceplate and swapping out the flat rj11 to a crossovered r11/rj45 cable. I'm hitting around 49 - 50mbit which is pretty crap to be honest. On the package I've got now I would be 200mbit under virgin media so I'm waiting till my street gets connected and then I'd jump ship.
    Leaving them is a complete nightmare as you get scammed into paying for the hh5 if you're not careful, better to swap to another provider then cancel the contract. I would not recommend unless you're living very close to a cabinet and your cable is newish and not 20+ year old cable.
    Edited by: "kester76" 24th Oct 2016

I have infinity and the first thing i noticed when the engineer had installed everything was the picture quality. It was not as good as Sky (HD Channels) there are two reasons for this and one is compression, the other i can't remember. It is not terribly bad and you might not even notice if you don't have a really good TV to start with. The fella who installed it moved the socket across the room for me and blanked off the old one. The speed for me is very good, i am paying for 38Mb and i'm getting 75-76Mb and upload is 17Mb roughly. The Youview box has frozen a couple of times in the past year, but just unplug and plug back in again then it's OK. I have had no problems with the connection or with the line in general so i can't know how good their customer service is. I do download a hell of a lot and my speed has never been throttled so it is good for me. I'm not thinking of leaving just yet.

Edited by: "wheresmywashboard" 24th Oct 2016

I think they are fine. It's best if you don't keep switching the router on and off and just keep it on as they aren't like the old style ones. This enables the line and speed to stabilise. I pay for 52mb a sec and get that. I've just ran a Speedtest on my phone whilst I'm upstairs and the download speed on average is 41.12mb but I can live with this as it's via wireless and upstairs

wheresmywashboard

I have infinity and the first thing i noticed when the engineer had … I have infinity and the first thing i noticed when the engineer had installed everything was the picture quality. It was not as good as Sky (HD Channels) there are two reasons for this and one is compression, the other i can't remember. It is not terribly bad and you might not even notice if you don't have a really good TV to start with. The fella who installed it moved the socket across the room for me and blanked off the old one. The speed for me is very good, i am paying for 38Mb and i'm getting 75-76Mb and upload is 17Mb roughly. The Youview box has frozen a couple of times in the past year, but just unplug and plug back in again then it's OK. I have had no problems with the connection or with the line in general so i can't know how good their customer service is. I do download a hell of a lot and my speed has never been throttled so it is good for me. I'm not thinking of leaving just yet.

Yeah I noticed the picture quality on HD going from Sky to BT. The 4K quality on the sports channel is nice tho. I'm glad it wasn't just me

We've had sky and BT fibre over the last few years, both are the same can't tell a difference, we move spending on best price and rewards.

I signed up with the recently posted deal with pre paid reward card and TCB for Infinity 1 and it's been faultless so far
    Any problems getting the reward card and tcb?

kester76

BT infinity is run by a bunch of idiots who hide behind openreach. They … BT infinity is run by a bunch of idiots who hide behind openreach. They hide behind the openreach if there's any issues they blame it on openreach and how they're different companies.

BT is a group of businesses. Openreach is a separate business. BT Consumer is just a service provider the same as other providers.

kester76

Homehub 5 is ok but apple devices aren't overly keen on it with speed … Homehub 5 is ok but apple devices aren't overly keen on it with speed issues.

This can be an issue with the dual band Homehub 4 or 5. Apple devices are well known for not liking dual bands named the same. Have you tried splitting the SSID?

bt.custhelp.com/app…798

The new Smarthub (Homehub 6) already has these split.

Very happy with it - rock solid speed any time of day for me - I switched from VM too.

Started a new contract with vm, within 3 days it was down, read reviews on the web then cancelled the contract. Now in my second month with bt and no problems at all.

kester76

BT infinity is run by a bunch of idiots who hide behind openreach. They … BT infinity is run by a bunch of idiots who hide behind openreach. They hide behind the openreach if there's any issues they blame it on openreach and how they're different companies.

kester76

Homehub 5 is ok but apple devices aren't overly keen on it with speed … Homehub 5 is ok but apple devices aren't overly keen on it with speed issues.

Seems strange that BT consumer offers the best connections compared to other providers. BT offered me 76mbit but the others could only offer me 38mbit, diffrerent policy, higher rated connections or just lying ?

I changed the 5GHz channel SSID but even on 2.4GHz and a very strong signal my ipad 3 has terrible download speeds compared to my linksys E4200s which are dual band also, It wouldn't bother me too much but this is standing over the router with max wifi strength.

kester76

Seems strange that BT consumer offers the best connections compared to … Seems strange that BT consumer offers the best connections compared to other providers. BT offered me 76mbit but the others could only offer me 38mbit, diffrerent policy, higher rated connections or just lying ?

The fibre product is rented from Wholesale (another BT Group business) and is maintained by Wholesale and Openreach. If the service provider doesn't choose to take up the premium (up to) 76Mbps product, then that is down to the provider, although most providers do offer that as their premium fibre product.

Edited by: "robertr" 24th Oct 2016

no complaints here, been with bt for years and had infinity since it was first available

been with BT for 15 years and never had a problem.

Been with most providers over the years , sky , talktalk etc etc
    Always go back to bt as seems to be the only one for me with a decent stable speed
    Not fussed about paying a bit extra for a decent connection
    Others may differ from area to area so worth seeing what provider others use in your area
    Also not long renewed with bt again
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions