Expired

BT Infinity Router

Found 21st Nov 2017
Looking to replace my Netgear D7000 because it does not support the /56 IPv6 prefix for BT which I require. Netgear support have confirmed that no Netgear product’s support the /56 prefix and Netgear have no plans to update firmware to accommodate this.

Looking at these 2 options as both have support for my requirement, but does anyone here have either of these devices and could provide feedback on reliability and performance.

My only experience with an Asus router a few years back was not a good one, connection was very flaky and would always drop DSL, customer service was poor, everything was a known issue and always told it will be fixed soon, but firmware updates were non existent for a brand new device at the time and no one could commit to a date. Also another bug bearer is you are told to factory reset an Asus router after every firmware upgrade.

Never had a TP-Link router so comments welcomed if anyone has either product or can recommend a better one.

TP-Link

Asus
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Any reason you cant use the HH6?
deleted1597344
jb6611 m ago

Any reason you cant use the HH6?

Good question and I have already explored this option. To keep it short and sweet the HH6 is trash, probably without a doubt fine for the majority who just want to Surf the web. BT have the option to snoop around your network which I don’t agree with and in terms of advanced features I require it does not offer any.
One option may be to get a BT Openreach Modem from ebay for about £10-20 and then get a cable modem if you're using BT Infinity.

I don't recall having connection issues as a result of this modem.

BTW, I've been using RT (cable) Asus routers for a few years (RT-AC68U) and I've never done a factory reset after every upgrade, only once or twice has this been something I had to do and that's when I was specifically told to by the changelog.
Edited by: "tech3475" 21st Nov 2017
deleted1597344
tech34751 h, 5 m ago

One option may be to get a BT Openreach Modem from ebay for about £10-20 …One option may be to get a BT Openreach Modem from ebay for about £10-20 and then get a cable modem if you're using BT Infinity.I don't recall having connection issues as a result of this modem.BTW, I've been using RT (cable) Asus routers for a few years (RT-AC68U) and I've never done a factory reset after every upgrade, only once or twice has this been something I had to do and that's when I was specifically told to by the changelog.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have thought of this and is a credible option but ideally I wanted an all in one solution. It’s good to know your RT-AC68U has been reliable, maybe Asus are over the problems I experienced with them a few years back.
deleted159734421st Nov 2017

Thank you for the suggestion, I have thought of this and is a credible …Thank you for the suggestion, I have thought of this and is a credible option but ideally I wanted an all in one solution. It’s good to know your RT-AC68U has been reliable, maybe Asus are over the problems I experienced with them a few years back.

Only thing to consider is that I'm using merlin which while still based on ASUSWRT it still contains some differences, don't know how much that plays a difference but I don't recall having issues even before I made the switch DSL wise.

I do know the feeling though about AIO though, I used to be the same until BT Infinity forced me to have a separate modem/router before the HH4 came out.
Edited by: "tech3475" 21st Nov 2017
Just becareful using Openreach unapproved hubs, they're terminating lines of people using unsupported equipment, more info Here

Openreach will not enter into any discussions about the modems involved” (they don’t appear to name the device). Openreach also warns that they will “disconnect” the service if it’s identified that one of the non-approved devices is in use (we assume they could easily identify such routers via loopback testing).
We know from past experience that Openreach can also request that the device itself be disconnected (rather than shut down the entire service) or they could refuse to fix problems. Likewise they could conceivably levy charges if the device is found to be the cause of a fault investigation (i.e. requiring an engineer call out or abortive visit etc.). In other words, it’s wise to use an approved router when requesting ISP support.

At this point the briefing reminds ISPs “that they should advise their end customers to only connect the MCT approved CP provided device or the Openreach VDSL to their GEA-FTTC Service,” which is fair but the briefing does not name the device/firmware involved and Openreach could have easily made this public themselves. Doing so would have helped to inform consumers and thus reduce the problem.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants