BT Infinity speed falls to half of promised speed within days before cool off period

Found 18th Feb
Hi

I was wondering what advice do you have for a new BT Infinity customer. My speeds were within promised average for the first week, but now, just 2 days before the cooling off period ends (that's after service has started, which was 6th of Feb) the speed has dropped to a half. No amount of restarts has helped just to be clear.
Should I cancel the service?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
deleted1597344
Restarting your router will cause all kinds of issues, the exchange will detect this restart and over a period of time reduce your speed.

Obviously it may not be this and could be just a line fault, have you spoken to BT?

What is the current sync speed? Can you post your line stats? You will need to log into your router to determine this, the address should be 192.168.1.254
33284346-hdV4A.jpg
here are the stats from the router
deleted1597344
Somewhere on the router it should also display;

Maximum data rate:
Noise margin:
Line attenuation:
Signal attenuation:
Never switch your hub off when you join a provider, the hubs learn how fast and stable it can get before it settles.
Your restarts have possibly made it look like a fault, It does state in BT emails to leave the hub on.

Just leave it on and push the connection to the limit, watch multiple streams, download files etc
When a new internet connection is setup. The ISP system monitors the stability of the connection automatically. There will be times this is faster and slower than the average.
If you have started doing restarts, they then think your line is unstable and reduce the speed to get a stable connection.

My advice, stop messing with it. Call BT and ask what is going on? Do you have it plugged into the master socket? If not you’ll be asked to do so before any diagnostics.
As time is limited go and ask the horse.
deleted159734418th Feb

Somewhere on the router it should also display;Maximum data rate:Noise …Somewhere on the router it should also display;Maximum data rate:Noise margin:Line attenuation:Signal attenuation:

33284441-3g7h7.jpg
here's what I found.

Oneday7718th Feb

When a new internet connection is setup. The ISP system monitors the …When a new internet connection is setup. The ISP system monitors the stability of the connection automatically. There will be times this is faster and slower than the average. If you have started doing restarts, they then think your line is unstable and reduce the speed to get a stable connection. My advice, stop messing with it. Call BT and ask what is going on? Do you have it plugged into the master socket? If not you’ll be asked to do so before any diagnostics. As time is limited go and ask the horse.

Okay, didn't know that. But this Friday after being away for a few days I came home and noticed the connection was constantly dropping and speeds were very low when it managed to connect. That's why I've restarted it. Here's a screenshot of my results. As you can see after the restart I managed to get a somewhat stable connection, although with lower speeds.

33284441-O3H6s.jpg
Also during the first 28 days with BT you can request an enginner visit to help achieve the advertised speeds free of charge.
As above I would log a complaint with BT with regards to your concerns of the speed as your still within the cooling off period. This way should anything happen and they are unable to fix your issues you have a strong case in your hands that the issue has happened from beginning.

If BT are unable to help you I would seek advice from the Ombudsman. But first of all speak to BT and allow them to fix it
deleted1597344
vivi_ssj33 h, 21 m ago

[Image] here's what I found.Okay, didn't know that. But this Friday after …[Image] here's what I found.Okay, didn't know that. But this Friday after being away for a few days I came home and noticed the connection was constantly dropping and speeds were very low when it managed to connect. That's why I've restarted it. Here's a screenshot of my results. As you can see after the restart I managed to get a somewhat stable connection, although with lower speeds.[Image]

All looks about right from the info I can see, I can only guess the restarts have reduced your IP profile. My advice would be to log a fault and get BT to reset your profile.

Make it clear to BT if they can’t sort the issue you want to leave penalty free as you have notified them of the issue whilst still in your cooling off period.

I certainly wouldn’t put it past being a faulty hub, very common issue with these!
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 18th Feb
Worth looking in the advanced section to see if you are Fastpath or Interleaved resetting the hub too often may have caused it to go into Interleaved,also have you a rough idea how far you are from your cabinet get over 500 meters and the speed drops away fairly quickly.
you can also login to MYBT account and click on Broadband and check for faults. this will do a speed test to the router and your machine. E.G your router may be getting 70MB download but your laptop is only getting 50MB download. this could be down to being on WIFI, having a poor WIFI signal, faulty hardware, could not mean the BT router is doing 2.5Ghz and 5ghz under the one WIFI name, if u login to the router and split these up and test each one to see what one gives you the better connection.

also contact BT as they can also do this check or step you thought it. i also think they have access to up your speed on your account a bit. as done this on my dad bband as he was getting 1MB download for 2 months. i called them up and right away he was getting 5MB download and it has stayed ever sins (he live in the middle of no where)

I have the same issue kind of. i have 76MB download, but the BT Router(hub 5) is only showing 60MB and my macbook is only getting 30MB (on WIFI), but if i swap out to a gaming router i am getting 75MB download, and 69MB on my macbook.i did call them up to say there WIFI in that router is broken and that said they do not guarantee the speed on WIFI so would not replace the router i am like why id i change the router i get a better download speed. telling them there router cannot handle the speed i am quoted to get. they then offered me the BT home hub 6, i then said i should already have this as the Hub 6 was made for Infinity 2 speeds.

only done this as they upped my price and never informed me about it. they said they sent me a email but change of contract need to be in hard copy E.G a letter. safe to say I pulled them up about this contacted some company 2 do my complaint and boom i now have 30days to cancel my contract without any cost. so i told them to cancel my account got 50% off and credit in to my account.
Edited by: "Mackan" 19th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants