Groups

BT Infinity Vs Plusnet Fibre

Hi Guys. Just a question maybe someone out there has used both providers. I can't get Virgin in my area so I was thinking of the best alternative. BT are now offering speeds up to 52MB. Whether or not I'll get that is anyone's guess. Fibre extra with plus-net offer an average between 42-56mb in my area. So it's pretty much 50/50 so before I flip a coin has anyone had any experiences?

Also I know they run on the same lines.

Cheers

22 Comments

Just changed my fibre, and I believe plus net still use traffic management and will/ can slow you down when they want to, sky, bt, talk talk have all now gone unlimited, so I would go with an unlimited myself

Original Poster

westy125

Just changed my fibre, and I believe plus net still use traffic … Just changed my fibre, and I believe plus net still use traffic management and will/ can slow you down when they want to, sky, bt, talk talk have all now gone unlimited, so I would go with an unlimited myself

Thanks for the comment. What provider are you with?

Aren't BT and Plusnet the same company ??
    Just moved from BT to plus net fibre and the routers exactly the same only white !!!

Original Poster

mighty sausage

Aren't BT and Plusnet the same company ??Just moved from BT to plus net … Aren't BT and Plusnet the same company ??Just moved from BT to plus net fibre and the routers exactly the same only white !!!

Yeah they are. The only thing that's the difference is BT infinity is upto 52mb and Plusnet extra is 76mb. Have you speeds changed at all?

TalkTalk are unlimited too
    Bottom line boils down to three things
    1. Cost
    2. Limit caps vs your usage
    3. Customer service

As you say, they all use the same lines and like to like speeds are consistent too

Whoever your line provider, there's is a good starting point and if you're out of your contract period, shop around for both line and fibre. Keep hammering at them as they will reduce their price.

TalkTalk offer a discount if you pay a year's line rental in advance if you can afford it

Talk talk, sky and BT have the best routers

Good luck!

Had pulse net, terrible customer service and also had by good service but price hike offer initial period very high....this time ended up going with Sky.....

bt infinity is better

+1 BT Infinity, no throttling and no down time in 3 years. Customer service now improving as they move their call centers back to the UK.

Original Poster

Argoj

+1 BT Infinity, no throttling and no down time in 3 years. Customer … +1 BT Infinity, no throttling and no down time in 3 years. Customer service now improving as they move their call centers back to the UK.

Brilliant. I'm just wondering I know nothing can be certain but on Infinity 1 I'm estimated to get between 42-58mb and a Minimum of 35mb. On your experience how close to these numbers is it likely to be.

I've gone with the SSE Fibre deal, £21 per month but Cash back via TCB, check out this deal:

SSE Deal

Read the small print on Plusnet. They may only give you up to 1.6mbps up speed compared to 10mbps with Unlimited BT Infinity or Sky.

Original Poster

pothole

Read the small print on Plusnet. They may only give you up to 1.6mbps up … Read the small print on Plusnet. They may only give you up to 1.6mbps up speed compared to 10mbps with Unlimited BT Infinity or Sky.

Thanks I'll give this a read. Have you had it installed yet?

Original Poster

pothole

Read the small print on Plusnet. They may only give you up to 1.6mbps up … Read the small print on Plusnet. They may only give you up to 1.6mbps up speed compared to 10mbps with Unlimited BT Infinity or Sky.

Yeah plusnet cap your upload unless you call them up.

SkyBlues1990

Brilliant. I'm just wondering I know nothing can be certain but on … Brilliant. I'm just wondering I know nothing can be certain but on Infinity 1 I'm estimated to get between 42-58mb and a Minimum of 35mb. On your experience how close to these numbers is it likely to be.

I was estimated 73 mb down and 19mb up they were spot on.

mighty sausage

Aren't BT and Plusnet the same company ??Just moved from BT to plus net … Aren't BT and Plusnet the same company ??Just moved from BT to plus net fibre and the routers exactly the same only white !!!

I have left BT due to price hike and the customer service has been truly appalling

Both BT companies so makes no difference

Yes BT Bought plus net amongst other companies

westy125

Just changed my fibre, and I believe plus net still use traffic … Just changed my fibre, and I believe plus net still use traffic management and will/ can slow you down when they want to, sky, bt, talk talk have all now gone unlimited, so I would go with an unlimited myself

Don't forget cash back from quidco or tcb. Having used many providers I have found Plusnet the best in terms of customer service with a good price. I've got Plusnet fibre. Get 70Mb consistently.

Original Poster

bargainchaser2015

Don't forget cash back from quidco or tcb. Having used many providers I … Don't forget cash back from quidco or tcb. Having used many providers I have found Plusnet the best in terms of customer service with a good price. I've got Plusnet fibre. Get 70Mb consistently.

What was your suggested speed prior to buying?

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx
    Use this site to see what speeds bt are actually giving to people in your area, if its above 52mbps know its for bt infinity 2 as bt infinity 1 gives a max of 52mbps

SkyBlues1990

Brilliant. I'm just wondering I know nothing can be certain but on … Brilliant. I'm just wondering I know nothing can be certain but on Infinity 1 I'm estimated to get between 42-58mb and a Minimum of 35mb. On your experience how close to these numbers is it likely to be.

I got almost identical estimate (was 55-60mb top speed) and minimum of 35mb. I went for Infinity 1 and get 37-40mb, never seen it lower than 35mb. So I would say pretty accurate. Looking forward to the upgrade to 52mb soon for Infinity 1 - puts me closer to my top end speed.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?67
      2. Tooth extraction55
      3. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)23
      4. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?38

See more discussions