Expired

BT landline charging for calls not made

Found 2nd Mar 2014
My dad seems to be having a problem with his BT landline over the last few months where he has been charged for calls that he has not made, including one international call to the US.

Has anyone had this problem with their BT landline?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments

Hey mutley have this all the time with BT nine times out of ten they cancel the charges and refund i am sure it will be the same for your dad

Original Poster

archer1204

Hey mutley have this all the time with BT nine times out of ten they … Hey mutley have this all the time with BT nine times out of ten they cancel the charges and refund i am sure it will be the same for your dad

did you call customer service to get the refund or did you have to write in to complain?

mutley1

did you call customer service to get the refund or did you have to write … did you call customer service to get the refund or did you have to write in to complain?

just phone them up first if you get no joy then say your going to write

reason I git rid of bt still not sure why it can happen but I had a line only to have Internet so it was never used for calls. had to call bt complain and get credited they never gave a reason

Original Poster

m1xxy

reason I git rid of bt still not sure why it can happen but I had a line … reason I git rid of bt still not sure why it can happen but I had a line only to have Internet so it was never used for calls. had to call bt complain and get credited they never gave a reason

my dad uses his mobile to make out going calls and only uses his landline to receive incoming calls and for his alarm to the health authority as he has a heart condition and is epileptic. some of the calls he is alleged to make was at 1am when he would normally be knocked out by his medication so he could not physically have made the calls.

Its the guys you see on the street plugging their work handsets into your line running up your bill.

Been going on for years.

Original Poster

markvirgo

Its the guys you see on the street plugging their work handsets into your … Its the guys you see on the street plugging their work handsets into your line running up your bill.Been going on for years.

But the calls are to numbers that he knows which calls him on the landline. For example, my mum mobile.

Original Poster

BT has refused to accept that the calls were not made so I will have to raise a complaint and leave them if the complaint does not get resolved.

mutley1

BT has refused to accept that the calls were not made so I will have to … BT has refused to accept that the calls were not made so I will have to raise a complaint and leave them if the complaint does not get resolved.

Mutley did you get the name of the person you spoke to and if so phone them back and say you want to speak to his boss
ALSO just looked on MSE site theres a guy called david see if he can help you let us know how you get on
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…645

Edited by: "archer1204" 3rd Mar 2014

Original Poster

archer1204

Mutley did you get the name of the person you spoke to and if so phone … Mutley did you get the name of the person you spoke to and if so phone them back and say you want to speak to his boss ALSO just looked on MSE site theres a guy called david see if he can help you let us know how you get onhttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3513645

As I got no joy from customer service when I called in to ask for the telephone call refund, I was looking around the website to make a complaint and stumbled on the live chat option. I thought I would give this a call and the operator that chatted to me said that he would refund the call charges!

WOW. How easy is that? Sounded like the live chat was in India whereas the customer service call centre where I got no joy was in Scotland.

It wasn't a big amount of refund, only £5.44 but to my dad who doesn't have a lot of money that is not insignificant.

mutley1

As I got no joy from customer service when I called in to ask for the … As I got no joy from customer service when I called in to ask for the telephone call refund, I was looking around the website to make a complaint and stumbled on the live chat option. I thought I would give this a call and the operator that chatted to me said that he would refund the call charges!WOW. How easy is that? Sounded like the live chat was in India whereas the customer service call centre where I got no joy was in Scotland.It wasn't a big amount of refund, only £5.44 but to my dad who doesn't have a lot of money that is not insignificant.

Nice you got a double win not only your money back you also made a new friend(_;)

mutley1

my dad uses his mobile to make out going calls and only uses his landline … my dad uses his mobile to make out going calls and only uses his landline to receive incoming calls and for his alarm to the health authority as he has a heart condition and is epileptic. some of the calls he is alleged to make was at 1am when he would normally be knocked out by his medication so he could not physically have made the calls.

glad it got sorted.
to be honest, despite what you might think as someone familiar with your dad's condition, they are highly unlikely to take your word that he's out for the count as reasonable proof that he didn't make the calls.

your experience proves what i've always believed about companies such as this.....there's no hard and fast rule about refunding.....it all depends on the person you speak to - and going for several options (phone, letter, live chat) increases the likelihood of finding someone half decent and getting the resolution you expect.

Could it be his alarm system making the calls ?
Not unusual for some dialler boxes to phone for updates or similar ? Just a thought

Original Poster

DennisG

glad it got sorted.to be honest, despite what you might think as someone … glad it got sorted.to be honest, despite what you might think as someone familiar with your dad's condition, they are highly unlikely to take your word that he's out for the count as reasonable proof that he didn't make the calls.your experience proves what i've always believed about companies such as this.....there's no hard and fast rule about refunding.....it all depends on the person you speak to - and going for several options (phone, letter, live chat) increases the likelihood of finding someone half decent and getting the resolution you expect.

My mum used to have the same problem with Talk Talk which was why she left them. She was charged for landline calls that lasted more than 24 hours which meant she would have had to be on the phone for more than a day non-stop. When I called to query I was told that it was because the person she called did not put the phone down correctly when she had finished her call.

I accepted that this to be a possible explanation at the time. I think this is actually incorrect and that it is the caller that can't be cut off by the recipient and not the other way round.

Most people will never go through their phone bill in detail to ensure that all the itemised calls on their monthly or quarterly bills are legit and especially if it is a number that you are familiar with, you would think you did dial that number. Therefore I am sure that all phone companies are at it, adding a few calls here and there to everyone's bill, small enough so it won't get noticed.

Original Poster

mrwhitelabel

Could it be his alarm system making the calls ?Not unusual for some … Could it be his alarm system making the calls ?Not unusual for some dialler boxes to phone for updates or similar ? Just a thought

Good point. Not impossible.

However, unless the alarm is faulty and dials numbers at random. The calls he is alleged to have made were mainly calls to my mum's mobile at all different times of the day and night. Then there was a call for nearly an hour to the US at 2.00AM. He is asleep by that time and he has never called a US number in his life!

Common cause for this can be a crossed line. Not sure how BT etc operate but VM will launch an investigation into it upon customer request, however if the calls are found to have originated from the customer that will cost you the investigation charge of £200 (and the cost of said calls)
Edited by: "wellen1981" 9th Mar 2014

Original Poster

wellen1981

Common cause for this can be a crossed line. Not sure how BT etc operate … Common cause for this can be a crossed line. Not sure how BT etc operate but VM will launch an investigation into it upon customer request, however if the calls are found to have originated from the customer that will cost you the investigation charge of £200 (and the cost of said calls)

But how could you prove that you did not make the calls if VM confirms that you did and you did not? How would they be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you did make the call unless they had a video of you dialling?

mutley1

But how could you prove that you did not make the calls if VM confirms … But how could you prove that you did not make the calls if VM confirms that you did and you did not? How would they be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you did make the call unless they had a video of you dialling?

Sorry I should have phrased it better maybe - VM deem it as you if the calls are proven to have originated from your phone line.

I think of it like this as a customer...

The investigation charge is £200 if they prove it could have only come from your phone line so if we were talking a few quid in calls it aint worth fighting it - especially if you are trying to help on someone else's behalf just in case they get stung for the £200 charge.

The thing that would make me pursue it with the telco provider though so an investigation takes place is if the person is elderly and phone calls to the US have happened in the early hours of a morning.

That would be enough for me to strongly believe there is a genuine issue with the phone line.
Edited by: "wellen1981" 9th Mar 2014

Original Poster

This is confirmed that my dad did not make the calls as he has been charged for 2 calls to my mobile last Sunday and there is no record on my note 3 phone of the call and I know I have not received a call from his land line last week.

Could his heart alarm cause the billing error without dialing my mobile?

mutley1

This is confirmed that my dad did not make the calls as he has been … This is confirmed that my dad did not make the calls as he has been charged for 2 calls to my mobile last Sunday and there is no record on my note 3 phone of the call and I know I have not received a call from his land line last week.Could his heart alarm cause the billing error without dialing my mobile?

I'm sorry mate but that question is definitely beyond my knowledge however i say on that basis go for it, get in touch with the telco provider and ask them regarding heart monitors and possibly try and google the heart monitor device to check for similar issues for other users etc.

If it is the heart monitor causing it, i hope you can find a way around the problem (safely of course).
Edited by: "wellen1981" 16th Mar 2014

Original Poster

I was thinking of contacting the organisation that provides the monitor and the monitoring service to ask if they are aware of such a possible problem as they may have had similar problems reported in the past from their other users.

I will google the monitor and see if anyone else reports similar problems.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions