BT mobile now seem to allow tethering

Found 30th Jun 2016
Not really a deal as such but last night I noticed my iPhone received a service message and after a phone restart I noticed tethering option has appeared.

I also found a BT Mobile webpage talking about how to set it up.

Perhaps this is old news.. But I've seen no mentioning it anywhere and might be a reason for someone to take a BT mobile contract where previously they wouldn't .

17 Comments

Tethering has always worked on BT mobile, they just say you shouldn't use it.

As for the option appearing on your iphone, that will be something to do with a apple update i'd imagine.

Network Operator Settings (which includes tethering) is part of the Carrier Settings. This is controlled by the Network, not Apple. So for example there was a time that T-Mobile did not allow the option for APN settings to be visible. So if the auto settings did not work, you were stuffed.

I presume if you couldn't see the tethering option before and you can see it now, then BT must have opened this up. When I was looking into BT mobile, tethering was not allowed.

This only applies to iPhones; with Android OS phones the tethering option has always been visible, whether the network allows tethering or not.

Original Poster

Yes, as soon as I put a BT sim in my unlocked iPhone the tether option disappeared from the menu. After the change of settings last night it reappeared, as did a link to how to set it up (by BT Mobile themselves).

Check it out: bt.custhelp.com/app…%3F

Seems to be officially supported now and you can use it
Edited by: "magicmikethegrea" 30th Jun 2016

BT sux

Original Poster

Moonwolf1976

BT sux

I've been impressed and I'm not easily pleased. No problems for me so obviously not the same experience for you.

tpol

Network Operator Settings (which includes tethering) is part of the … Network Operator Settings (which includes tethering) is part of the Carrier Settings. This is controlled by the Network, not Apple. So for example there was a time that T-Mobile did not allow the option for APN settings to be visible. So if the auto settings did not work, you were stuffed. I presume if you couldn't see the tethering option before and you can see it now, then BT must have opened this up. When I was looking into BT mobile, tethering was not allowed.This only applies to iPhones; with Android OS phones the tethering option has always been visible, whether the network allows tethering or not.

Did not know this, i should of guessed though.. i mean iphone users being controlled by the external is pretty norm. Whether its by the Americans or by the carrier.

i have been tethering my tablets etc to my phone for a year now without so much as an email about it. Don't know if it's because I have the old unlimited data package, but I am using Virgin and it keeps the kids happy when they are in the car.

This, I think is an Apple thing. I've been on BT Mobile for 6 months and have always been able to tether on my Android.

Thanks for letting me know, iPhone now works which it didn't before - this was definitely a bt thing

Well as I said, I've had no issues tethering my Android since I signed up with them 6 months ago and in fact when I was on the phone with the CSA, I specifically asked whether or not tethering was permitted and he told me yes. Not being allowed to tether would have been a deal breaker for me as I need to use my laptop on the move with work.

Original Poster

OK let me clarify. The portable hotspot menu item used to disappear on the iPhone when used with a BT sim. Being an ex android user too, I can confirm that the option does not disappear with android phones.

BT have always said tethering was not an option, if you have an android there was nothing to stop you doing so though.

Now BT has send a service message to iPhone users I guess to enable the menu option. Gone are the messages saying that tethering wasn't allowed and instead instructions on how to do it.

So yes, it's a change of heart from BT and also an iPhone thing because BT were able to disable the option.

magicmikethegrea

OK let me clarify. The portable hotspot menu item used to disappear on … OK let me clarify. The portable hotspot menu item used to disappear on the iPhone when used with a BT sim. Being an ex android user too, I can confirm that the option does not disappear with android phones. BT have always said tethering was not an option, if you have an android here was nothing to stop you doing so.Now BT has send a service message to iPhone users I guess to enable the menu option. Gone are the messages saying that tethering wasn't allowed and instead instructions on how to do it.So yes, it's a change of heart from BT and also an iPhone thing because BT were able to disable the option.

Odd that they dropped their 20GB data simo for the 15GB. When they had the 20GB data sim they specifically said that tethering wasn't allowed, for the reason that it will take up a lot of your data. I guess now they're really hoping you reach your data limits so that they could potentially make more money when you go over.

Original Poster

I hadn't noticed the drop to 15gb. Luckily I'm still on 20gb lets hope it continues

magicmikethegrea

I hadn't noticed the drop to 15gb. Luckily I'm still on 20gb lets hope it … I hadn't noticed the drop to 15gb. Luckily I'm still on 20gb lets hope it continues

Probably renewal time (if you try to get a better deal) you'll likely be put on the 15GB. So at the minute, it looks like you're stuck on 20GB at the price you're currently paying even when the contract is up. No further discounts. Unless they introduce the 20GB data plan again. I was hoping to try haggle it down to £15/£16 on renewal (non bt customer). Ah well.

Could I tether if connected to BT wifi/fon?

Original Poster

You can share your mobile 3G /4g connection over wifi to other devices, but you can't share a wifi connection to other devices afaik

magicmikethegrea

I've been impressed and I'm not easily pleased. No problems for me so … I've been impressed and I'm not easily pleased. No problems for me so obviously not the same experience for you.

Same, I've had no problems with their coverage or service.
Thx for the heads up , I wasn't sure myself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants