BT & Moving

Found 26th Mar
I am currently outside of my contract with BT. I am going to be moving
house, and was wondering if i transfered my account over to the new
place, would they tie me into a new contract? I've asked online but but
she couldnt give me an answer Figured if they do, then its not even worth trying to haggle, will just get hubby to sign up at the new place with a new deal.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I can't honestly remember, but what I do remember is that they were an absolute nightmare and it took several phone calls and complaint's before my transfer was sorted, we were without phone line or broadband for around six weeks last time we moved, and we had contacted them and arranged everything about a month in advance.
My advice would be to look around now for a better deal with a new supplier whilst you have time.
Original Poster
We are limited as to who we can get; Virgin is very slowly being rolled out, its live in some areas, but not there (according to their website checker anyway). Was looking at 30 day contract type things as a temp measure, but then they have like 60 quid set up fee. Will need it setting up ASAP as well,as i cant be without the internet (that sounds dramatic,doesnt it?)
You cancel BT and shop around for a deal on the new house. If you have limited choice, it may be you have limited speed available. Knock on doors and ask what people use locally

Do the maths on a 12 month deal. £60 set up for a contract you can get out of may be cheap!

Try to get BT to tell you how much data (up and down) you have used in the last 12 months. a 4G connection may be your answer
Can you not get a cheap sim only deal with a load of data for a month or two to keep you going whilst you sort the landline out?
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 26th Mar
deleted1597344
If you transfer to a new address yes you will be re-contracted.
Yes you will be signed on to a new contract. I’m surprised that they don’t know when you spoke to them.
deleted1597344
Of course they know, it’s another sneaky tactic used by BT to get you signed back in for another 18 months.
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 26th Mar
Original Poster
deleted159734426th Mar

Of course they know, it’s another sneaky tactic used by BT to get you s …Of course they know, it’s another sneaky tactic used by BT to get you signed back in for another 18 months.

That deffo wont be happening (certainly not in my name)
deleted159734426th Mar

Of course they know, it’s another sneaky tactic used by BT to get you s …Of course they know, it’s another sneaky tactic used by BT to get you signed back in for another 18 months.

I got stung when I moved home in 2014. The engineer could not get me connected to the network he spent 5 minutes looking at the fixings and said he will be back shortly. Guess what! He never turned up. Took me 3 months to fight my corner to get disconnected cause their call centre staff are a bunch of monkeys.
when i moved house before and stayed with BT, i had to sign a new contract.
Your line would be recontracted for 12 months but not the broadband, you could however arrange a new broadband deal when you ask them to move the services, which would then recontract the broadband for the duration of the discount.

If you have BT Infinity you won't have to pay an activation fee if you had it at the previous address.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants