Groups

BT Moving Home - Inactive phone line found - 50 quid charge?

Hi guys,

I am moving house and I have a broadband contract with BT (until Dec). I went to their website to move the broadband, however I have seen the following message:

Inactive phone line found

Good news – we've found a line.

There's a phone line at this address that's not being used but we can easily activate it for you. Some customers may have to pay a connection charge. This is £50 for activating an existing line.

Any way around this? As far as I know previous tenant had internet with sky, so I do not understand why the line would be inactive? Moreover, when I went to set up a new connection via BT website they never mentioned the need of reactivation or extra charge for that, so even a bigger bummer they try to suck hard earned pounds from existing customers

Hope y'all can help, as always!

Cheers,
    Mat

11 Comments

Phone them.
    They should have some sort of Home Move department.

As you're an active customer they shouldn't be charging you to continue your custom at another address.

They're receiving your business at one address, which you've already paid a 'set up' for, and shouldn't apply to continue at another address.

(Experienced employee from BT's biggest competitor)

Elbandito

...There's a phone line at this address that's not being used but we can … ...There's a phone line at this address that's not being used but we can easily activate it for you. Some customers may have to pay a connection charge. This is £50 for activating an existing line...

"...There's no need to worry about a connection fee or arranging new Direct Debits..." productsandservices.bt.com/pro…ve/ unless some "connection fee"s are more equal than others? Maybe a charge depends if the customer is within / outside a minimum contract term. Suppose it would be unreasonable to expect BT to cover all instances of re-config costs, especially if one customer had multiple moves within xx months, although no hint of this in OPs case.

Original Poster

I've been with bt since Dec last year and in my current flat for almost 4 years if that matters. Thanks for tips I will give them a call tomorrow and try to argue way out of it! Thanks for tips

Elbandito

As far as I know previous tenant had internet with sky, so I do not … As far as I know previous tenant had internet with sky, so I do not understand why the line would be inactive?

Because when the previous tenant moved out they would have cancelled or moved their connection which deactivates the line. If it remained active, it would mean you'd be able to plug in a phone or router/modem and use their internet and phone line

It is Openreach who will activate the line again since it's an engineer of theirs that needs to visit your local cabinet. Despite Openreach being under the BT Group, they are separate from BT Consumer who handle the retail side so I'm not sure if charges can be waived as they are issued by Openreach. Good luck though, if your experience with BT and Openreach is anything like mine in the past, you'll need all the luck you can get (_;)

Elbandito

I've been with bt since Dec last year and in my current flat for almost 4 … I've been with bt since Dec last year and in my current flat for almost 4 years if that matters. Thanks for tips I will give them a call tomorrow and try to argue way out of it! Thanks for tips

I would expect BT to intially attempt the dubious sweetener before it checked its actual policy, where the sweetener may be: "OK, we'll absorb the moving costs, just sign here for another 18months service at a have-your-pants-down monthly fee."

It said this with me when I just signed to BT, but I'm now active had my first bill and no £50 fee so maybe it's just a maybe?

Original Poster

Elbandito

I've been with bt since Dec last year and in my current flat for almost … I've been with bt since Dec last year and in my current flat for almost 4 years if that matters. Thanks for tips I will give them a call tomorrow and try to argue way out of it! Thanks for tips

christopherreese818

It said this with me when I just signed to BT, but I'm now active had my … It said this with me when I just signed to BT, but I'm now active had my first bill and no £50 fee so maybe it's just a maybe?

That, sir, is definitely not going to happen I'm out as soon as the 12 month is up, as they will increase my price from 30 pounds to more like 50, which is an absolute rip off .

So did you move house and not get charged? In all fairness it does say 'May have to pay' so maybe they won't charge me, better to call and ask though

I moved into a house and took out BT broadband, there was an old inactive line there, the reactivated with no charge.

Line connection charges and setup costs can be waived by recontracting your broadband, see what they have to offer.
    If you have Infinity then you won't have to pay the activation charge again.

Elbandito

I'm out as soon as the 12 month is up, as they will increase my price … I'm out as soon as the 12 month is up, as they will increase my price from 30 pounds to more like 50, which is an absolute rip off

Moving house will recontract your line for 12 months, with or without a broadband contract.

You might be cheaper paying the disconnection fee and signing up as a new customer

jb66

You might be cheaper paying the disconnection fee and signing up as a new … You might be cheaper paying the disconnection fee and signing up as a new customer

You might be cheaper paying the disconnection fee and signing up as a new customer elsewhere.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want some backless loafers for men33
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510
      3. Xbox one region locked codes?22
      4. Phone "Upgrade"36

See more discussions