Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

bt phone socket no test socket and extra wire not connected to. anything

Posted 21st Jan
im on Vodafone superfast 2 it says i shud be getting upto 57 but im. get 45 max i been on live chat and they said put the line in the test socket but there isn't one there is a loose wire not connected to anything is that meant to be the test socket? ita a new build under two years
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
Have you unscrewed the face off the main socket?

39729798-D4gJO.jpg
ander21/01/2020 18:37

Have you unscrewed the face off the main socket?[Image]

THAT!!!!(y)
It says “Up To 57mbps” which means there is no guarantee you will get that speed but your only 12mbps below
Edited by: "Arto" 21st Jan
Do you have a grey box outside your front door by any chance? I moved into a new build (nearly a decade ago) and was told that they don’t install them internally anymore. If you can locate a grey box outside your property with wires running from it, this is where Openreach will test your wiring/connection. It’s done so you no longer have to be home for them to come out. If you have one, that’ll be why you have no master socket as it’ll be outside. (You can’t connect anything to it however)

They look like this.

39729847-tO1fT.jpg
Edited by: "Biddy2" 21st Jan
I think 12 mbps under is a good result, I take it you have done tests at different times of the day
Edited by: "ding" 21st Jan
yes ive took the cover off nothing there just a loose wire not connected to anything and a wire to the phone socket
Edited by: "kevlfc" 21st Jan
that one outdoor ill look tomorrow
45 on app and 10 upload, im like 30 average on tests
Edited by: "kevlfc" 21st Jan
ander21/01/2020 18:37

Have you unscrewed the face off the main socket?[Image]

yes
ding21/01/2020 18:53

I think 12 mbps under is a good result, I take it you have done tests at …I think 12 mbps under is a good result, I take it you have done tests at different times of the day

If they're refering to sync speed it is very poor. No reason to be 20% below expected speed.
the loose wire and no test socket deffo need a rewired job i think dont it
plebbygiraffe21/01/2020 19:21

If they're refering to sync speed it is very poor. No reason to be 20% …If they're refering to sync speed it is very poor. No reason to be 20% below expected speed.

It is Vodafone after all
Could be a number of things bad internal wiring, incorrect wired at socket , faulty socket most service providers don't Garuntee WiFi speed only sync speed to the hub
You need to ask Vodafone what the MGALS speed is not the "up to" speed

Minimum guaranteed access line speed must be given out at the point of sale and must not be quoted as "up to" they can only use "up to" in general advertising but not when its off a specific speed test where you will be given a range of x to y and then this MGALS speed, it will also be written in your contract so you might find your actually getting the speed they said
The loose wire is a spare, not all the wires are used in a standard setup. They just use the same wiring to all houses.

If it was bad wiring you wouldnt be getting the speeds you are.

whar devices are you testing the speeds on?.

As said you will never get the max speed as you are sharing with your neigbours.
I replaced my old phone socket that didn't even have a test socket with the latest open reach version (about £10 on ebay). Got me about a 15% speed boost to pretty much my up to speed.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Jan
whats strange is in my old house a got a new socket what i did not have to use the filter on but in the new house its a older socket what a have to use the filter
Edited by: "kevlfc" 22nd Jan
Biddy221/01/2020 18:44

Do you have a grey box outside your front door by any chance? I moved into …Do you have a grey box outside your front door by any chance? I moved into a new build (nearly a decade ago) and was told that they don’t install them internally anymore. If you can locate a grey box outside your property with wires running from it, this is where Openreach will test your wiring/connection. It’s done so you no longer have to be home for them to come out. If you have one, that’ll be why you have no master socket as it’ll be outside. (You can’t connect anything to it however) They look like this. [Image]

there is summit similar outside what do i do
kevlfc22/01/2020 12:28

there is summit similar outside what do i do

There is nothing you can do with it. That’s your master socket but it doesn’t have the ability for you to plug anything into it. You’ve basically got fibre up to your home. (Whether that extends to the cabinet at the exchange, I don’t know. Mine doesn’t.)

The best thing to do is chat to Vodaphone again, and explain that you have an external NTE as it’s a new build. They should escalate it to send Openreach out to check your connection.
kevlfc22/01/2020 07:22

whats strange is in my old house a got a new socket what i did not have to …whats strange is in my old house a got a new socket what i did not have to use the filter on but in the new house its a older socket what a have to use the filter

That’s normal. It’s to reduce plastic waste on the filters and to make it look more aesthetically pleasing.
Which Vodafone router you got? The old router is shockingly crap and you're certainly lucky if you got a reliable connection with it. The latest VOX 3.0 router is ok though.

39737011-DmEc0.jpg
i have that one the new one
Edited by: "kevlfc" 22nd Jan
right phoned them up im leaveing no change
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants