Bt price increase

Found 10th Dec 2017
I've been with BT for 4 months and I've received a letter saying prices are increasing. Also that I could leave my 12 months contract no penalties. My question is

1) I had £80 quidco witch I have received any impact on this.
2) £100 pre paid card which I have also received and I think it has £30 left.

I was considering going back to Sky at a cheaper line rental as long as I don't pay any cancellations and get penalised for the rewards.

Thoughts please.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

Question 1: Quidco has been paid out for you and you complied with all the t&c's to get it, so no effect at all as they have no rights to request anything back

Question 2: The prepaid card is exactly the same, they won't be requesting anything back from that as well.

You may want to have a look on the uswitch website to see the best offers and availability of broadband supliers in your area

uswitch.com/bro…BwE

You may even be able to negotiate a better deal with BT if you ring them and tell them that you are leaving due to better elsewhere, make sure you have details of the offer so they can check.

There is no recourse on benefits already received such as the vouchers I don’t think but I would speak to BT for a better deal first (you are effectively a retention customer now). I managed to get Infinity 2 + BT Sport + line rental for 34.99 and a Smart Hub thrown in so I would pursue that avenue before going to Sky!

Try haggling a deal with BT as no doubt sky , talktalk etc will follow with price increase

Original Poster

Thanks I'll call them now and will let you know how I get on

BT will allow you to freeze your current broadband price for 18 months, so after January the price remains the same.

i tried haggling and all i got was to recontract for 18 months and keep my current price (£29.99)

works out cheaper as a new customer as there is a £100 mastercard so i'm now looking elsewhere

Original Poster

I had a lengthy conversation with a bt representative after initially being hung up on. The first adviser basically said it was a spam letter and not from bt after I got a little irate she hung up. I called again thankfully was put through to someone in the uk where they established I was within a day of the new contract terms and conditions. After all that she offered me bt sport free for 3 months, I'll be taking my business else where and ensured she made a note on my account that I could terminate my contract with out any penalty.

adamspencer952 h, 7 m ago

i tried haggling and all i got was to recontract for 18 months and keep my …i tried haggling and all i got was to recontract for 18 months and keep my current price (£29.99)works out cheaper as a new customer as there is a £100 mastercard so i'm now looking elsewhere

New customer deal is £2 more per month plus £29.99 setup, so that's £65.99 over the contract duration, so the reward card is really only worth £34.01
Also as an existing Infinity 1 customer you would of had a free speed boost, getting Infinity 2 speeds on Infinity 1.

ItWasNotMe4 m ago

New customer deal is £2 more per month plus £29.99 setup, so that's £65.99 …New customer deal is £2 more per month plus £29.99 setup, so that's £65.99 over the contract duration, so the reward card is really only worth £34.01Also as an existing Infinity 1 customer you would of had a free speed boost, getting Infinity 2 speeds on Infinity 1.

thanks for confirming exactly what i said

infinity 1 is 52mb and infinity 2 is 74mb - not the same

also, dont forget the TCB/Quidco
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 11th Dec 2017

Original Poster

adamspencer9521 m ago

thanks for confirming exactly what i saidinfinity 1 is 52mb and infinity 2 …thanks for confirming exactly what i saidinfinity 1 is 52mb and infinity 2 is 74mb - not the samealso, dont forget the TCB/Quidco

I'm confused ? Is "it was not me" saying your better to stick with them rather then signing up again. I'll try calling again in a day and basically ask for the cancellation procedures hopefully hitting the right notes. Let's see.

What decent deals are there at the moment don't mind standard broadband as long as it's unlimited.

DealsRus40 m ago

I'm confused ? Is "it was not me" saying your better to stick with them …I'm confused ? Is "it was not me" saying your better to stick with them rather then signing up again. I'll try calling again in a day and basically ask for the cancellation procedures hopefully hitting the right notes. Let's see. What decent deals are there at the moment don't mind standard broadband as long as it's unlimited.

i think that's what he/she was trying to say, but then did the maths and realised it's not

i'm going to try again in a day or two and mention the new customer deal and see what they come back with.

DealsRus46 m ago

I'm confused ? Is "it was not me" saying your better to stick with them …I'm confused ? Is "it was not me" saying your better to stick with them rather then signing up again. I'll try calling again in a day and basically ask for the cancellation procedures hopefully hitting the right notes. Let's see. What decent deals are there at the moment don't mind standard broadband as long as it's unlimited.

My point was that by leaving and rejoining you're only gaining £34.01 over an 18 month period but will have a slower connection than now, It's up to you if you think it's worth rejoining.
If you paid an activation fee for Infinity when you joined then that's money you don't get back.

I've been in contact with BT regards to the price increase. Currently paying: standard unlimited Broadband and HD Sports - 12mths £27.49.

- Jan onwards price will change to £29.49. But will remain as 12mth contract.

Options given: 
1. Sign up to 18 months at same package: £27.49.
Or
2. Fibre optic. 18mths. 21.99. Inc HD sports 29.49.

What do you guys think?

Original Poster

I think the second option is good after having a look at what's out there. They only offered me 3 months bt sport, so I'm still holding out for unlimited fibre and bt sport for around £30
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants