BT raising broadband prices: get out of contract for free.

LocalFound 26th Jun
I just got a message from BT that my broadband cost will be going up by £2.50 a month from September. As annoying as this is, it is a get out of jail free card for anyone locked in a contact!

Plenty of options at the moment to switch too...

Talk talk from £22.50 a month with £75 cashback.

Sky from £21 a month with £75 reward card and £110 cashback.

Plusnet, Virgin etc all with good offers at the moment!
Community Updates
Misc
40 Comments
Good luck... I regretted every second of moving from them to John Lewis (Plusnet)
What's OFCOM for?
Good time to haggle i say, i pay £24.99 for 72mb with BT, , i have had no issues in the 2 years i have been with BT ,constant speeds and reliable, i jumped ship to Scottish Power boy was that a mistake
SavageDonkey10 m ago

Good luck... I regretted every second of moving from them to John Lewis …Good luck... I regretted every second of moving from them to John Lewis (Plusnet)

Same here, I moved from BT where I had a stable connection, (only noticed it going off once in 12 months) to Plusnet where it was disconnecting up to 20 times a day. Plusnet was half the speed that they estimated too.
Thanks for posting @dufus124 i've moved this over to misc.
Last time they did this I got an offer on my account to lock the price for 18 months on what was already a good introductory price so keep your eye out for that before jumping.
don't bother haggling. leave and rejoin as a "new" customer for the topcashback and reward card incentives - currently running at almost £200.

I left BT in december cos of this, getting the wife to sign up. I think i've probably been paid to have broadband over the last year or two.
Yippee! Just joined BT Infinity last month and got the £120 reward card - such a shame I've now got to go back to Sky and bag their incentive too. Must remember to rejoin sky under wife's name, though, to be considered a new customer.
upset.brown.pant40 m ago

don't bother haggling. leave and rejoin as a "new" customer for the …don't bother haggling. leave and rejoin as a "new" customer for the topcashback and reward card incentives - currently running at almost £200. I left BT in december cos of this, getting the wife to sign up. I think i've probably been paid to have broadband over the last year or two.

only downside is that you have to change your number ??
deanos2 m ago

only downside is that you have to change your number ??

nope. phone up to cancel first. then sign up online using the same number
Why are people on here constantly looking to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire? All these telecoms companies put their prices up virtually every year, often more than once.
deeky49 m ago

Why are people on here constantly looking to jump out of the frying pan …Why are people on here constantly looking to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire? All these telecoms companies put their prices up virtually every year, often more than once.

If you're willing to put in a bit of time, you can constantly switch from cheap promo deal to cheap promo deal and save quite a bit. It's up to the individual to decide if it's worth the hassle.
deeky1 h, 19 m ago

Why are people on here constantly looking to jump out of the frying pan …Why are people on here constantly looking to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire? All these telecoms companies put their prices up virtually every year, often more than once.

Switching and haggling is the best way to get the lowest prices. You’re missing out and probably on a bad deal if you just stay your provider and never try to haggle for your prices
deanos3 h, 14 m ago

Good time to haggle i say, i pay £24.99 for 72mb with BT, , i have had …Good time to haggle i say, i pay £24.99 for 72mb with BT, , i have had no issues in the 2 years i have been with BT ,constant speeds and reliable, i jumped ship to Scottish Power boy was that a mistake

Can't you jump back?
Been with plusnet now for 12 months and not 1 issue. 3 Great sim only deals as well.
I just haggled a new deal @ £19.50 a month for 38mb fibre and land line, Thats pay line rental up front for 12 months and £3.01 a month for fibre.
Last 6 months i can pay normal rate An extra £2.50 a month line rental so total will be £22.00 a month all in or pay line rental saver again.
Aldnoah2 h, 43 m ago

Switching and haggling is the best way to get the lowest prices. You’re m …Switching and haggling is the best way to get the lowest prices. You’re missing out and probably on a bad deal if you just stay your provider and never try to haggle for your prices

You can haggle with your own provider. I'm with the same provider and I'm paying less than I was 3 years ago. Much easier than swapping and changing every time prices go up. Providers don't want you to leave so will try to keep you if they can.
deeky13 m ago

You can haggle with your own provider. I'm with the same provider and I'm …You can haggle with your own provider. I'm with the same provider and I'm paying less than I was 3 years ago. Much easier than swapping and changing every time prices go up. Providers don't want you to leave so will try to keep you if they can.

Yes that's what I was saying, you can haggle with your own provider or switch. it's just different ways of getting good deals. i also haggle with my own provider, for some it doesn't work out though so switching is another option. Just answering your question as to why you would see people trying to move around often.

I'd say haggle if you can much better than switching, the best deals are the ones that aren't advertised anywhere.
Edited by: "Aldnoah" 26th Jun
Aldnoah3 m ago

Yes that's what I was saying, you can haggle with your own provider or …Yes that's what I was saying, you can haggle with your own provider or switch. it's just different ways of getting good deals. i also haggle with my own provider, for some it doesn't work out though so switching is another option. Just answering your question as to why you would see people trying to move around often.

It just seems to me that people don't research properly in the first place if they enter into a contract and then seize the first opportunity to 'escape' the contract they just entered into.
deeky58 m ago

It just seems to me that people don't research properly in the first place …It just seems to me that people don't research properly in the first place if they enter into a contract and then seize the first opportunity to 'escape' the contract they just entered into.

A lot of it is to do with new customer incentives. Say BT give you £150 to sign up for an 18 month contract. 6 months in they raise prices, you can cancel that contract with no penalties and then join another provider, say Sky who are paying £120 to new customers. You don’t have to pay back the new customer incentive
My email offered to keep prices the same if I fix for 18 months , it's a good service , so will probably do that , had a pretty horrible connection / speed with talk talk and have no desire to change again really .
can you leave BT and then once its canceled, simply rejoin BT and get the rewards?
tinkerbellian1 h, 41 m ago

My email offered to keep prices the same if I fix for 18 months , it's a …My email offered to keep prices the same if I fix for 18 months , it's a good service , so will probably do that , had a pretty horrible connection / speed with talk talk and have no desire to change again really .

Same deal offered to me...
34153903-prYFh.jpg
Didn't they just put up the price in early December? I cancelled mine and rejoined in January and here we go again!
Would be nice if they included the free BT Sport as part of renewing the contract, but it's still quite expensive overall once you've taken the cashback / prepaid card which was factored in at the start.
mmquokka27th Jun

Didn't they just put up the price in early December? I cancelled mine and …Didn't they just put up the price in early December? I cancelled mine and rejoined in January and here we go again!

Yes they did exactly that. All this BT Sport must be costing them a pretty penny. Very good service but prices just not competitive. With Vodafone Now and although they’re not as good I am paying £20 a month for 40meg fibre and line rental.
I had same offer. only thing is after 18 months payment goes to £52.49 instead of £44.49.
Where did you find the Sky and reward card deal?
Edited by: "Patty37" 27th Jun
Just had a frustrating live chat, kept avoiding the question that I wanted to exercise my 14 days notice to transfer. She eventually ended the chat abruptly.
I'm going ahead with the transfer out, and if I get hit with charges, they will get the transcript of the chat.
Chiptivo51 m ago

Just had a frustrating live chat, kept avoiding the question that I wanted …Just had a frustrating live chat, kept avoiding the question that I wanted to exercise my 14 days notice to transfer. She eventually ended the chat abruptly. I'm going ahead with the transfer out, and if I get hit with charges, they will get the transcript of the chat.

Serve the complaint/notice to CEO office, you will need to provide this if you end up in court hounded by BT - a legal notice of termination to a CEO/Regsitered Office is always the best route of redress at a Ombudsman or further, court. Email or snail mail, snail mail - use Next Day 1pm delivery as cheapest “tracked”option at Post Office.
Richard_Sanderson2 h, 33 m ago

[Image] I had same offer. only thing is after 18 months payment goes to …[Image] I had same offer. only thing is after 18 months payment goes to £52.49 instead of £44.49.

BT PLUS the new BT...

34158647-yobJt.jpg
productsandservices.bt.com/bro…lus

lock it in £29.99 or leave asap! That’s your choice but things aren’t going to be cheap as £52.49 in 18 months given the above - BT PLUS (our profits!)
Edited by: "seaniboy" 27th Jun
I took out the Black Friday deal last year and have the BT sport and tv added on for free @£29.99 a month, after an online chat the chap I spoke to agreed with me I know have 28 days to leave free of charges.
The personalised deal I have the same as others above £29.99 so no change BUT no mention of the TV and sport carrying on, so I phoned them and apparently theta will be renewed on an 18 month contract also free , very sceptical of that. Anyone in the same boat and have you renewed?
Took a while on the phone this morning, they couldn’t offer me anything better than renewing at original price for another 18 months (only 5 months in to current contract anyway!)
Got passed around a bit to confirm I will cancel without penalty. Now getting the faster fibre with EE and cashback to go with it for same price I was paying 👌
deanos26th Jun

Good time to haggle i say, i pay £24.99 for 72mb with BT, , i have had …Good time to haggle i say, i pay £24.99 for 72mb with BT, , i have had no issues in the 2 years i have been with BT ,constant speeds and reliable, i jumped ship to Scottish Power boy was that a mistake

I've just got off the phone to them, and was told that they couldn't go lower than £29.99 pm for me. I said that I can get alternatives for around £24-£25 pm and if they would match it I would stay but no joy. Will look around and see what else is on offer. No Virgin near me so EE or Plusnet are probably favourite
badger26096 m ago

I've just got off the phone to them, and was told that they couldn't go …I've just got off the phone to them, and was told that they couldn't go lower than £29.99 pm for me. I said that I can get alternatives for around £24-£25 pm and if they would match it I would stay but no joy. Will look around and see what else is on offer. No Virgin near me so EE or Plusnet are probably favourite

I got my deal at the last price rise, i think i called 3 times before i was offered that so worth trying if you wish to stay
deanos24 m ago

I got my deal at the last price rise, i think i called 3 times before i …I got my deal at the last price rise, i think i called 3 times before i was offered that so worth trying if you wish to stay

Ah ok. The guy I spoke to seemed genuine enough but said that was it, so I'll maybe give it another try. I have a month to decide if I want to leave, take the renewal price or stay
Hi does anyone have a screenshot of the email or notification ?

Also if I signed up in Feb paying promo price of £25 for 12M then £45 but fibre price increases by £2.50/month will my bill be £27.50 or after the promo just goes to £47.50 ?
when they increased prices in January they offered a price guarantee is this just on broadband or Will my calls and TV go up too?
deeky26th Jun

You can haggle with your own provider. I'm with the same provider and I'm …You can haggle with your own provider. I'm with the same provider and I'm paying less than I was 3 years ago. Much easier than swapping and changing every time prices go up. Providers don't want you to leave so will try to keep you if they can.

I'd quite happily stay, but due to the fact that I don't have a lot of the added extras (extra calls, tv, etc), they don't seem very keen to offer me a lower price. I don't think I offer them much value Deeky :). We get a bit spoilt with all the incentives that are offered. For example if I leave now I will have paid 3 months @ £29.99 pm, but received £100 gift card and £90 cashback, so £100 up really.
A lot of the providers offer these incentives obviously expecting you to see out your contract, but by then hiking the price, you are given the option of leaving and seeing what else is out there, again being able to take advantage of the incentives. It's a bit like the energy switch, worth it if you can be bothered to put the time in I suppose
Just to let you know a new deal on BT has been posted, maybe time for me to cancel and get the wife to sign up hotukdeals.com/dea…829
Wow, saved some money on this!

BT were increasing my rate from £30 to £32.50/month, Fibre and calls.

Now Broadband £25/month for fibre, no calls, but don't use phone much anyway! Plus £80 cashback.

BT called me back and offered £23.99 for package with calls.

Called NOW to cancel my order, they counter offered £19.99/month for 12 months, Fibre and Anytime calls...! Result!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants