BT retention deal

Posted 16th Dec 2019
I noticed Virgin Fibre are offering 100Mb for £17.75. With a month left on my BT contract I called up to cancel. Immediate pickup, lovely to talk to - offered me 76Mbit for £21.99. Even though I could have had Virgin cheaper, I said yes because there's a 14-day cooling off period.

Now 14 days is on the clock - is that a good deal? Or should I try Virgin?

I've had next to no issues with BT and when they screwed up once I got free internet for a few months. I'm lucky to have a stable line given I'm in a new build - and there's about 8.5MB/s down (or 75Mbit). I have no experience with Virgin but I'm repeatedly hearing bad things about them from everyone I know. Any input?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I can get cheaper service with other providers but BT have got their act together if I get good customer services from them I am happy to pay that little bit extra also better the devil you know
My only gripe with BT is their router. All my devices routinely drop the connection and reconnect a few seconds later. But the actual ADSL connection is rock solid and fortunately, I have never had to call them for anything. That being said, Community and HyperOptic are laying fiber in my neighbourhood and I am looking forward to their introductory offers later in 2020.
Virgin will quite literally rip up anything in their path in order to put their high speed lines in. Believe me, I learned the hard way. (I am also in a new build house in the NW and have had to shell out for near enough an entirely new lawn)
deleted1447778
bozo00716/12/2019 07:51

My only gripe with BT is their router. All my devices routinely drop the …My only gripe with BT is their router. All my devices routinely drop the connection and reconnect a few seconds later. But the actual ADSL connection is rock solid and fortunately, I have never had to call them for anything. That being said, Community and HyperOptic are laying fiber in my neighbourhood and I am looking forward to their introductory offers later in 2020.

Must be an old router or there's something wrong, Smarthub 6 is a pretty outstanding router in all areas
deleted144777816/12/2019 08:32

Must be an old router or there's something wrong, Smarthub 6 is a pretty …Must be an old router or there's something wrong, Smarthub 6 is a pretty outstanding router in all areas

I have 6, replacing it with my own now.

Must be an old router or there's something wrong, Smarthub 6 is a pretty …Must be an old router or there's something wrong, Smarthub 6 is a pretty outstanding router in all areas

My smart hub 6 is always dropping the WiFi connection. What is also annoying is that you can't set it to modem only function as I have a decent Asus router that I have used with all previous ISP's routers.
Cashback.
Visit a cashback site and see if any very tempting offers are around.
I've had £180 from one swap .
deleted1447778
stubbadub16/12/2019 09:59

My smart hub 6 is always dropping the WiFi connection. What is also …My smart hub 6 is always dropping the WiFi connection. What is also annoying is that you can't set it to modem only function as I have a decent Asus router that I have used with all previous ISP's routers.

You can use your old router for wifi connected to your Smarthub, just google it
deleted144777816/12/2019 10:12

You can use your old router for wifi connected to your Smarthub, just …You can use your old router for wifi connected to your Smarthub, just google it

I want the router to handle all routing/DHCP/NAT ect. You can't disable it on BT smart hub.
Been with BT a good few years now and apart from the fact they always mess up my renewal contract, which is a bit of hassle but I usually end up better off in the end, I have no issuses with their WiFi or Phone service .
bozo00716/12/2019 07:51

My only gripe with BT is their router. All my devices routinely drop the …My only gripe with BT is their router. All my devices routinely drop the connection and reconnect a few seconds later.

I used to have this; I think line quality is a factor. At my parent's place the BT Hub would kick everything off here and there, periodically reset and give you an orange light; same story at my old flat and at my in-laws (and their neighbours). All had old wiring in and off the property - there was a clear correlation between the stability of the connection and when the property was built.

Since moving to a six month old new-build with new roads (with the same Hub) I've had not even a hiccup. Current connection up-time is showing 18 days and most likely due to me unplugging it at some-point. It's faster as well. So I suspect you'll find once the new cable is laid (and provided you're on spanking new wire to the cabinet) you'll most likely get a flawless connection.

A lot of people have better stability after putting in an after-market router but I think there's often an underlying deterioration in the line quality that trips up BT Hubs pretty easily. It would explain why you hear everything from BT Hubs being a pile of hot garbage to working just fine.

There are actually two smart hub 6, Type A and Type B, they look the same, but are made by different manufacturers and their actual hardware is completely different. There's also a Smart Hub X for g.fast connections, but I guess that's a smart hub 7.

I have a type A, I just use it as an extra wifi access point and switch now, but it was decent enough.
deleted1447778
melted16/12/2019 13:16

There are actually two smart hub 6, Type A and Type B, they look the same, …There are actually two smart hub 6, Type A and Type B, they look the same, but are made by different manufacturers and their actual hardware is completely different. There's also a Smart Hub X for g.fast connections, but I guess that's a smart hub 7.I have a type A, I just use it as an extra wifi access point and switch now, but it was decent enough.

Yes I know, I also have a version A and wifi is rock solid in a large house, I always make sure my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are separated, I don't use DHCP either
deleted144777816/12/2019 15:48

Yes I know, I also have a version A and wifi is rock solid in a large …Yes I know, I also have a version A and wifi is rock solid in a large house, I always make sure my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are separated, I don't use DHCP either

Same here, also turned the Smart Setup wizard off, and manually select the best channels.

Unfortunately my two nearest neighbours have at least 6 access points between them set to automatically choose channel, three of the sky ones landing on the same 2.4ghz channel as mine would kill my signal when I was using only one access point.
Edited by: "melted" 16th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions