BT September Price Increases - Get out of contract early with no charges

Found 26th Jul 2015
BT have contacted customers about price increases in September. Due to these increases customers within their minimum term contract can leave their contract early with no penalties (30 days notice must be given unless using industry standard switching process then it is 14 days)

So ring BT and inform them you are leaving due to price increase and that you can leave with no penalty charges (giving the notice i.e. 30 days if leaving or 14 days if you are switching to a competitor using their switch service)
Community Updates
70 Comments
[ thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml ]

"...Customers unhappy with the rises will be given 30 days' upon receiving their letter to leave their contract penalty free, BT adds."

Edited by: "fanpages" 26th Jul 2015
Looks like all the providers like to rake up prices around the same time, certainly not random. Virgin I believe raised the line rental prices and others quickly followed for example.
Edited by: "kiish" 26th Jul 2015
to pay for the massive footy bill
This is getting a yearly thing now with BT I'm going this time
What's with all these 'price going up, get out of your contract' posts? Leave and go where? Everyone else's prices are going up all the time.

Pointless exercise if you ask me. You'll be running around in circles forever.
anyone knows what happens to line rental saver if u leave because of price increase do they pay remaining back?
no its a one off payment - if you go you forfeit your payment.
This should have been explained to you when you took it out...or did they not?

Edited by: "sowotsdis" 26th Jul 2015
yea just it runs out before my contract as I moved so would like to cancel bt but don't want to loose out
Original Poster
Will they be offering retention deals to keep people?
That's why they push the line saver.
I fell for that one on last years price hike.
This time when BT contacted me in June to renew the "free" sports service.
I posed the question would this free service then renew my contract for BB & telecoms services for another 12 months and the answer was yes. Therefore I politely refused.
OP thanks for posting. I switched this morning to Virgin Media as good incentives as a new customer. I am not going to be charged early termination charges and had 4 months to go. BT bill increasing to pay for the football so can see it going up 7% each year. Happy to be out early as no infinity in my road but virgin to have fibre so good result.
Might just cancel anyway as they really **** me about when I moved they are chargeing 13 per month for std adsl as can't get fiber I'm sure I can get it cheaper elsewhere and I won't lose much because if it
You could leave and the day after your service goes off just sign up again as a new customer with topcashback, either a sainsburys or pre paid master card and half price broadband for 6 or so months.

BT don't work like sky in that you have to wait a year to be classed as a new customer, apparently if you leave completely then come back you're new.

For example, BT told us that anyone who completely cancels their old service will count as a new customer - but note the phrase "completely cancels".
choose.net/med…tml

Edited by: "davelfc" 26th Jul 2015
Oh and if you leave don't let them try to hit you with a £30 disconnection fee or £65 fee for your Home Hub (if you've had it less than a year) as they're the ones changing the terms of your contract, I had this clarified myself yesterday when I gave them my notice. No termination fee, no disconnection fee and no equipment charges.
I'm leaving had an awful experience moving house. They were adamant that an active phone line didn't exist and as such wanted 130 quid or nearly 200 to cancel contract. The open reach engineer spent three hours wasting his time ripping out and replacing the cable in the exact same place. Now I can get out of the near forty pound a month contract I was forced into
Edited by: "joey1352" 26th Jul 2015
I phone bt y/day n told them I was moving back to sky I've bee out off my contract for 3 mths they to me I had to pay a 30 fee and my bill for the mth
I ask what is the 30 for she turn round n said we are bt we can do what we want
Omg I'm a customer of bt unlimited fiber broadband and line rental I took it out in jan so runs until jan 2016 I'm moving next week and have rang about 7 times to argue paying this ridiculous 130 moving fee to which they've basically said I have to pay or else I will have to pay a nearly 200 pound eearly exit fee. Try as I might they won't budge so I rang today and arranged the ' move' and have arranged to pay said 130 pound fee, now I see this post! I have 14 days to cancel this "move" what shall I do ring back and say stuff the move I want out? I only done the move in the first place cos they had me over a barrel but now I've seen this I'm interested to see if they'll cancel it with no fees attached! They tried telling me I still owed them for my home hub too!
So I guess everyone complaining about Virgin raising the price and going to BT are going to be looking for somewhere else now, only to find out that they too will increase the price
my contract ends in September hopefully something good turns up.
I paid for BT line rental upfront, didn't realise don't refund it even if they give you the option of getting out penalty free.
MR1123

I paid for BT line rental upfront, didn't realise don't refund it even if … I paid for BT line rental upfront, didn't realise don't refund it even if they give you the option of getting out penalty free.

Yea same here. I moved last month & they tie you in for another 12 months so I thought I might as well get the line rental saver. Wish I didn't now
aabs

This is getting a yearly thing now with BT I'm going this time

Erm isnt it a yearly thing with almost everyone?
Get used to more rises from all providers 2 to 3 times a year as BT and Sky need to claw back the obscene football money. Across the board rises are the best way to get money back since just raising sports subscription will not cut it. How do you think Virgin give "free" BT Sports, by charging all users. BT will probably raise the wholesale cost so internet providers without any TV will still have to raise costs. Enjoy the Premier League since everyone will be paying for it some way or another.
Please meet Mr Mobile
Hi Guys! Just wanted to say to be careful! I called up to cancel mine and the staff were so rude! Firstly i told i only joined last month when i actually joined over a year ago. But be careful with the charges and make sure you ask them if there will be no charges before you proceed. They tried to tell me that because i was leaving i would have to pay "£125 for the instalation fee when joining!" i told them i didnt have the installation because it was installed for us and then they said i would need to pay "£170 for a transfer fee for when i mooved" I told them i wasnt notified about this and got put on hold for about 15 minuites. Eventually they came back and said they would wafer the fee but to make sure i check the final bill as they may still try to charge me!. Just be careful and persistant!! Manged to cancel and will now be keeping an eye on my final bill.
Glad to hear there's a get out clause available, as I've been looking to move from BT for ages but am within contract for another 6 months. I'm paying £34 per month for "8Mbps" broadband (more like 4), which isn't very competitive now fibre is in our area and other providers charge about that for a 70Mbps connection.

So, who's a good provider to switch to for fibre? No Virgin Media in my area unfortunately, as much as I'd love to get rid of the line rental charge (aka money for old rope), it's not an option...
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 27th Jul 2015
This is perfect for me. Just finished 12 months of my 18 month contract and all of the offers I had have ended increasing my price for the next 6 months.

Do we have to wait for the letter to arrive as stated in the article in post number 1 or can we call and cancel at any time?
quaium

This is perfect for me. Just finished 12 months of my 18 month contract … This is perfect for me. Just finished 12 months of my 18 month contract and all of the offers I had have ended increasing my price for the next 6 months.Do we have to wait for the letter to arrive as stated in the article in post number 1 or can we call and cancel at any time?

I didnt wait for the letter, i just called up to say i had been informed of the increase and want to cancel. They were a little rude and did try to charge me £170 but after discussing it they said they would "wafer" it although it wasnt something i should of paid anyway! - Good Luck
sophieelias

I didnt wait for the letter, i just called up to say i had been informed … I didnt wait for the letter, i just called up to say i had been informed of the increase and want to cancel. They were a little rude and did try to charge me £170 but after discussing it they said they would "wafer" it although it wasnt something i should of paid anyway! - Good Luck

Thank you. I will call when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully it isn't too much hassle!
oldmanhouse

So, who's a good provider to switch to for fibre?

I can recommend Plusnet for fibre. Been with them for 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat.
I know they are owned by BT but this doesn't seem to hold them back.
Check TCB for up to £90 cashback on fibre+phone contracts
jase.2

Erm isnt it a yearly thing with almost everyone?

Not when your contracted for 18 months.
Done me a favour this time though.....
migrating to southern electric who use openreach which is BT wholesale so same service at half the price on 24month deal

If your with BT and don't wish to subsidise the the BT sport subscriptions of its sports channel viewing customer take a look at this deal.
hotukdeals.com/dea…524
Edited by: "aabs" 27th Jul 2015
Thanks for the tip. Just spoke to BT online, apparently you have to speak to them on the phone, the online agent called me and put me straight through to the correct department.

I have been with BT about 10 months and at times it has been a complete nightmare, I have spent hours on the phone to them, and most recently when I downgraded my fibre (as I was getting the speed of the lower package and paying for the higher package), they put me into a new 12 month contract.

Simple phone call, offered me some money off BT TV, but declined and was able to cancel with 30 days notice. Mentioned the SSE offer and they did advise me that they manage your speed if you are using too much or something? Anyway, going to consider SSE or see what else is available.
yipykayay

I can recommend Plusnet for fibre. Been with them for 3 years and it … I can recommend Plusnet for fibre. Been with them for 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat.I know they are owned by BT but this doesn't seem to hold them back. Check TCB for up to £90 cashback on fibre+phone contracts

Thanks, have heard bad things about Plusnet but good to hear there's another side as well.

SSE getting a negative reception on Twitter, lots of complaints...
Just phoned bt, tried to cancel, they said I wouldn't have to pay a fee but I have to pay £190 for the equipment? Anyone else had this
mossypwl

Just phoned bt, tried to cancel, they said I wouldn't have to pay a fee … Just phoned bt, tried to cancel, they said I wouldn't have to pay a fee but I have to pay £190 for the equipment? Anyone else had this

Scrap that, told them I'd ring ofcom as why would I pay for equiptment that I won't use again, and they said they will send me info to send the equipment back, so all canceled 7 months early with no charges
mossypwl

Just phoned bt, tried to cancel, they said I wouldn't have to pay a fee … Just phoned bt, tried to cancel, they said I wouldn't have to pay a fee but I have to pay £190 for the equipment? Anyone else had this

They initially said they would charge me a disconnection fee of £30 and £65 for the hub. When I argued about that he went away, came back and said there would be no charges.

Nothing to stop you signing up again a day after it all goes off and claiming toipcashback/quidco and sometimes a pre paid master card and sometimes half price for 6 or 9 months. More than covers the increase and more than covers any retention deal they may offer.

They were about to offer me a deal to stay and I said it was a bit late now, if they'd not bumped up the charges in the first place I wouldn't be on the phone. The line rental scam irks me, I don't use the landline at all and yet they charge so much for it.
I've cancelled my BT broadband + phone today, and had verbal confirmation from the guy on the phone that there would be no charges. However, the confirmation email that got sent afterwards mentioned a charge of £110. Didn't fancy ringing up again so tried live chat, who were useless and could only refer me back to the call centre
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 28th Jul 2015
received the email today stating I am free to leave mid contract so called them, the bird on the end of the phone didn't know anything about anything but after going off for half hour came back and said its all done. just signed up to the SSE deal
mossypwl

Scrap that, told them I'd ring ofcom as why would I pay for equiptment … Scrap that, told them I'd ring ofcom as why would I pay for equiptment that I won't use again, and they said they will send me info to send the equipment back, so all canceled 7 months early with no charges

May I ask if you got a confirmation email? If you did, does it mention any charges?

I had an email (subject "Stopping your BT service") with this section included about cancellation charges
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 28th Jul 2015
I guess it depends whether or not the lure of Europe's first 4K TV channel and/or BT Sport Europe (with the exclusive rights to Champions League & Europa League for the next 3 Seasons) is enough to make you want to stay.

If thinking of staying try their retention teams. I was offered (even after the price increase) a cheaper package than I am currently on. Guess will be customer specific though depending on type of contract deal initially negotiated.
Edited by: "robertr" 28th Jul 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants