BT Sports

Posted 1st Mar
I renewed my contract on 04/01/20 and was offered free BT Sports for 24 months. I checked my bill and was charged for BT sports. I called them and they are saying there is no notes on the account to prove I was offered this and it's not free so I have to pay them to keep it. I told them to check the recording and everything is recorded but they are saying the advisor might've made a mistake because it's not possible to give BT sport for free. What shall I do Help me please I don't want to pay for something that I was offered for free
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

32 Comments
If they say the advisor may have made a mistake then that should void the contract
Had a similar issue last year on my renewal.

I made a written complaint and directed them to listen to the call I had with them. On reveiwng the call they agreed that I was offered a better package than what was available and amended my account accordingly.

Don't accept what is said regarding mistake and make a complaint in writing.

Good luck
Phone back and speak to somebody else. Some people are more helpful. The recording should show what was offered and what you agreed to.
Had similar with Vodafone.

Accept all their apologises that the initial person offered you a too-good-a-deal.
Then insist that they honour it because they offered it and it's not your problem; it's theirs.
And they need to listen to the call for proof. State you will make a formal complaint if this is not resolved.
Ring them up, explain what’s happen. It was offered for free, now you’re being charged. If they can’t deal with this, tell them you want to raise a complaint. They HAVE to do this, people who work there don’t like raising complaints. Anyway, once a complaint is raised, it goes to another team who look into all the calls made and they normally get back to you with their decision. If it’s in your favour, they will offer it free or release you from your contract and refund charges. If it’s not, then the contract will continue to run with the charges.
- Ex employee
saeed281001/03/2020 12:12

Comment deleted

14 days cooling off? Have you read the op? Two months ago.
Zero.Chill01/03/2020 12:44

Ring them up, explain what’s happen. It was offered for free, now you’re be …Ring them up, explain what’s happen. It was offered for free, now you’re being charged. If they can’t deal with this, tell them you want to raise a complaint. They HAVE to do this, people who work there don’t like raising complaints. Anyway, once a complaint is raised, it goes to another team who look into all the calls made and they normally get back to you with their decision. If it’s in your favour, they will offer it free or release you from your contract and refund charges. If it’s not, then the contract will continue to run with the charges.- Ex employee

I spoke to a manager and this person wasn't helpful to me. I called BT and spoke to them for 35mins on that day. The manager put me on hold and told me they will check the recording and I agreed because I know I won't signup without free BT sports. The manager came back after 5 mins and told me the advisor never offered me free BT Sports and there isn't any mention of BT Sports. I lost it and told them it's on recording and the call was for 35mins so how did you listen to the whole recording in 5mins. He says he couldn't listen to the full recording and even if it's there they can't honour the deal. I have two option pay for it or I can cancel BT Sports as it was never mentioned. I was shocked and told him he is lying and I only signed up because if free BT sports. He kept going on there isn't anything that can be done now. Shall I cancel the BT sports for you. I said no I don't want to cancel it then asked him one more time, is there any mention of free BT Sports he said no. I hanged up the call
Bandicoot01/03/2020 11:01

If they say the advisor may have made a mistake then that should void the …If they say the advisor may have made a mistake then that should void the contract

I said the same thing. He said the contract is for broadband and there is no BT sports on my account so there is nothing to cancel. If I want then they can stop BT Sports it's on rolling since my contract ended last month. They are liars and I need to report these mother*****
saeed281001/03/2020 12:12

Comment deleted

I will call again next week before my next bill and see what happens
Duggie200001/03/2020 11:10

Had a similar issue last year on my renewal.I made a written complaint and …Had a similar issue last year on my renewal.I made a written complaint and directed them to listen to the call I had with them. On reveiwng the call they agreed that I was offered a better package than what was available and amended my account accordingly. Don't accept what is said regarding mistake and make a complaint in writing. Good luck

Do you have a email address for complaints
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:42

Yes it's been 2 months now

You can request a copy of the recorded call
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:41

I spoke to a manager and this person wasn't helpful to me. I called BT and …I spoke to a manager and this person wasn't helpful to me. I called BT and spoke to them for 35mins on that day. The manager put me on hold and told me they will check the recording and I agreed because I know I won't signup without free BT sports. The manager came back after 5 mins and told me the advisor never offered me free BT Sports and there isn't any mention of BT Sports. I lost it and told them it's on recording and the call was for 35mins so how did you listen to the whole recording in 5mins. He says he couldn't listen to the full recording and even if it's there they can't honour the deal. I have two option pay for it or I can cancel BT Sports as it was never mentioned. I was shocked and told him he is lying and I only signed up because if free BT sports. He kept going on there isn't anything that can be done now. Shall I cancel the BT sports for you. I said no I don't want to cancel it then asked him one more time, is there any mention of free BT Sports he said no. I hanged up the call

I had bt for a couple of years and their customer service was frankly dire. Have you asked them to play you the tape?
Duggie200001/03/2020 11:10

Had a similar issue last year on my renewal.I made a written complaint and …Had a similar issue last year on my renewal.I made a written complaint and directed them to listen to the call I had with them. On reveiwng the call they agreed that I was offered a better package than what was available and amended my account accordingly. Don't accept what is said regarding mistake and make a complaint in writing. Good luck

The manager said he listened to call in 5mins and the call was for 35mins so how does he listen to 35mins call in 5mins. I hang up the call because he is a liar and told me there is no mention of BT Sports. Whoever signs up for Broadband always ask if they can get free BT Sports, or any discounts. I was offered it for free and this guy lied to me
JoeyJoJoJunior01/03/2020 13:46

You can request a copy of the recorded call

How can I do that. Do I email them or call them. I have the date and time of the call and name of advisor
Don't ask for btsports for free .
ask for the amount u pay for it each month to be credited . It's the same thing but different .
psychobitchfromhell01/03/2020 13:46

I had bt for a couple of years and their customer service was frankly …I had bt for a couple of years and their customer service was frankly dire. Have you asked them to play you the tape?

I forgot about that. This guy was not worth talking to. I kept repeating myself and going round in circles so I didn't think about it, but I doubt he would play it for me anyway. He would've said it's against policy or made any other excuse
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:48

How can I do that. Do I email them or call them. I have the date and time …How can I do that. Do I email them or call them. I have the date and time of the call and name of advisor

You can ask any of them to log a complaint when you ring up, or do it via email/web. Just ask for the call as part of your complaint. Keep the complaint civil, lay out exactly what happened and what you want to achieve, (ie - what’s your goal? Do you want to be released from the bb contract? Do you want compensation, just the deal you were offered?). They have lots of things they can offer you and once the complaints team pick it up, they’ll bend over backwards to resolve this for you as that’s all they are targeted on. Don’t be afraid to say no to whatever they offer and leave it unresolved. The longer it’s unresolved, the worse it looks on them. To be fair, if you follow the complaints procedure, you probably won’t need to listen to the call. Complaints won’t lie like that (sales will, they want rid of you to get into the next call) but if you still feel they are lying at any point then ask for it to be played. Also ask them to listen to the subsequent calls where you were also lied to.
Edited by: "JoeyJoJoJunior" 1st Mar
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:50

I forgot about that. This guy was not worth talking to. I kept repeating …I forgot about that. This guy was not worth talking to. I kept repeating myself and going round in circles so I didn't think about it, but I doubt he would play it for me anyway. He would've said it's against policy or made any other excuse

You don't know that for certain until you give it a try, think positively.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 1st Mar
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:50

I forgot about that. This guy was not worth talking to. I kept repeating …I forgot about that. This guy was not worth talking to. I kept repeating myself and going round in circles so I didn't think about it, but I doubt he would play it for me anyway. He would've said it's against policy or made any other excuse

Insist.
Start a proper complaint otherwise you’re at square one every time you ring up and get fobbed off
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:45

Do you have a email address for complaints

customer.care@bt.com and copy in philip.jansen@bt.com

Philip Jansen is the CEO of BT

If that fails go to the chairman: jan.duplessis@bt.com
Duggie200001/03/2020 13:59

customer.care@bt.com and copy in philip.jansen@bt.comPhilip Jansen is the …customer.care@bt.com and copy in philip.jansen@bt.comPhilip Jansen is the CEO of BT If that fails go to the chairman: jan.duplessis@bt.com

Thanks to everyone with your help. What do you think is best option for me. Shall I call them on 0800 number one more time and if they don't resolve it for me. Then send them a detailed email on what happened and what to do next
It happened to me I had to pay £5 for them to listen to the phone conversation and because the person said it was free when I took the contract they had to honour it
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 14:30

Thanks to everyone with your help. What do you think is best option for …Thanks to everyone with your help. What do you think is best option for me. Shall I call them on 0800 number one more time and if they don't resolve it for me. Then send them a detailed email on what happened and what to do next

Summary MO: make sure various items have been noted on your BT account, these will non-exhaustively include: the billing dispute; a vulnerability; BTs official procedure for account billing during "in-dispute" periods. Then formally exercise your right to request and be provided with a copy of the conversation that you believe confirms your recollection of events.
Detail MO:
1) Contact BT billing team, ideally by phone. State you wish to ensure that your dispute of charges related to billing of BT Sport has been noted against your account. That response will be yes or no. If no, state you have previously been in contact to dispute the billing and that you wish a dispute to be noted against your account. (For clarity: this phone call is not to discuss the dispute in detail, you are simply clarifying a dispute shall appear on your account notes).
2) At same time, state that you have a vulnerability. That vulnerability may be almost anything although an example vulnerability may be "please also note that I have a vulnerability and I find it difficult to express myself in stressful situations and this billing issue is stressful" or any other vulnerability that may work in your favour.
3) Ask the phone jockey to state "BTs official procedure to billing when in dispute" (billing possibly continues or is suspended). Accept if suspended or conditionally accept if continues but with objection.
4) Confirm with the BT phone jockey that these items have been noted on your account: 1) your dispute, 2) your vulnerability, 3) your acceptance (and possible objection) of official BT in-dispute billing policy. Typically this can be confirmed by requesting the phone jockey read the current call's account notes back to you.
Thank PJ and end call.
5) specifically request a copy of the call you believe confirms your recollection of events and the call you made as above. Make this request via your "Subject Access Request" rights and using BTs webform below. No need to write a complaint story to obtain that info as you are simply requesting the info; just make it clear what you are asking for by quoting dates / times etc:
bt.com/con…bt/
Duggie200001/03/2020 13:59

customer.care@bt.com and copy in philip.jansen@bt.comPhilip Jansen is the …customer.care@bt.com and copy in philip.jansen@bt.comPhilip Jansen is the CEO of BT If that fails go to the chairman: jan.duplessis@bt.com

Just stick to the complaints procedure for now. There’s no need to be copying in CEO’s. It goes to their secretary who will pass it to complaints. CEO’s are for later if you still don’t get a resolution and you don’t want to play that hand sooner than you need.

Keep it simple, follow their complaints procedure, give them a chance to rectify it. If they won’t, you want a final resolution from them. Once you’ve done that. Then you can escalate it. But I doubt it will get that far. Once complaints get hold of it they’ll probably sort it for you quick. No need for silly data requests yet either as they can literally pull any call that’s recorded correctly in minutes and play it over the phone for you. If it hasn’t recorded then they have to give you the benefit of the doubt. Once a complaint handler gets hold of it it will be much easier. The problem so far is you’ve not spoken to the right person.

Keep it simple. Log a complaint online. Don’t lie. It will probably be sorted. If not, then escalate it further.
Edited by: "JoeyJoJoJunior" 1st Mar
19DembaBa1901/03/2020 13:41

I spoke to a manager and this person wasn't helpful to me. I called BT and …I spoke to a manager and this person wasn't helpful to me. I called BT and spoke to them for 35mins on that day. The manager put me on hold and told me they will check the recording and I agreed because I know I won't signup without free BT sports. The manager came back after 5 mins and told me the advisor never offered me free BT Sports and there isn't any mention of BT Sports. I lost it and told them it's on recording and the call was for 35mins so how did you listen to the whole recording in 5mins. He says he couldn't listen to the full recording and even if it's there they can't honour the deal. I have two option pay for it or I can cancel BT Sports as it was never mentioned. I was shocked and told him he is lying and I only signed up because if free BT sports. He kept going on there isn't anything that can be done now. Shall I cancel the BT sports for you. I said no I don't want to cancel it then asked him one more time, is there any mention of free BT Sports he said no. I hanged up the call

Don’t hang up, be persistent. This is what they do, you get frustrated and end the call. They win & you’ll be liable to pay. Ring back, tell them you wanna raise a complaint, if they say you spoke to the manager, explain he listened to the call and within 5mins, he rang back but youre not happy with the outcome & would like to raise a complaint. Also, let them know you’ll contact ombudsmen. Again, be persistent. Do your best not to get frustrated because they try to hurry up and end the call when they know it’s not a sales call.
Zero.Chill01/03/2020 15:32

Don’t hang up, be persistent. This is what they do, you get frustrated and …Don’t hang up, be persistent. This is what they do, you get frustrated and end the call. They win & you’ll be liable to pay. Ring back, tell them you wanna raise a complaint, if they say you spoke to the manager, explain he listened to the call and within 5mins, he rang back but youre not happy with the outcome & would like to raise a complaint. Also, let them know you’ll contact ombudsmen. Again, be persistent. Do your best not to get frustrated because they try to hurry up and end the call when they know it’s not a sales call.

All I want to say is thank you to everyone who took their time out to help me. I really appreciate it.

First and foremost I need to call them and raise a complaint and then ask to get a copy of the phone call. Is that how I should proceed? Then I should email them if needed or shall I wait for complaints to contact me.
Yes, call them, raise a complaint. Wait for the complaints dept to get back to you. It can take up to 2 weeks (also known as lead time) for them to get back to you, but they should give you an est before they end the call. If they don’t then ask them before you hang up the call, so you know & it’s also recorded in that phone call (which you can use against them again later if they don’t call back within the time frame given). I wouldn’t bother with email because it can go either way, calling them is more concrete.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 1st Mar
19DembaBa1902/03/2020 13:10

Comment deleted

That email was poorly written. I’d ask for clarification. They’re either going to reimburse you for 18 months & 6 months further, after your 18m contract ends or they’ll only reimburse you for 6 months after your 18m contract ends.
Zero.Chill02/03/2020 17:40

That email was poorly written. I’d ask for clarification. They’re either go …That email was poorly written. I’d ask for clarification. They’re either going to reimburse you for 18 months & 6 months further, after your 18m contract ends or they’ll only reimburse you for 6 months after your 18m contract ends.

It's been over 1 month now, so I don't think it's possible they will send another email. I have the text as well which confirms there won't be any charges for BT Sports. My next bill is on 14th March so if there is a charge then I would speak to them and show them the text if needed
19DembaBa1902/03/2020 17:44

It's been over 1 month now, so I don't think it's possible they will send …It's been over 1 month now, so I don't think it's possible they will send another email. I have the text as well which confirms there won't be any charges for BT Sports. My next bill is on 14th March so if there is a charge then I would speak to them and show them the text if needed

I think you will still see a charge but you should also see a credit for the exact same amount to cancel out the charge. Hope it works out for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants