Groups

bt termination charges

im ending my broadband and phone line package after a year and transfering over to another provider. BT want to charge me for the router they supplied at the beginning of the contract (£55) surely that isnt correct? Cant I not send them it back if I no longer need it?

28 Comments

BT's home hub is pretty much locked down to just being of use with their service so why not just let them have it back if thats what they want?
    £55 in your pocket still against a semi useless hub on the shelf!

I remember we had to pay for ours when we signed up, check your initial contract to see if you paid already. Had a lot of problems ending our contract with them too. I called up 7weeks b4 the renewal date, the guy I spoke to told me my contract was ending on a later date so in the end they charged me an extra £70. To get the money back was a big headache and took around 3 months. They basically accused me of stating that I wanted to cancle on that date. Eventually a manager said they would listen to a recording and get back to me. 10 days later they agreed to refund me and when I asked for an apology they said the recording didn't work so they did it out of good will. What a joke!
    Good luck

How long did you sign up for ?

If you are out if your minimum term i believe there is no charge

From BT T&C
    BT Home Hub
    Well supply a BT Home Hub to all new BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity customers. The standard price of the BT Home Hub is up to £129.00 (depending on model supplied). We may let you delay paying for the BT Home Hub for up to 12 months from the date that we accept your order. If you don’t pay for the BT Home Hub in full when you place your order, you’ll normally have to pay the full price either 12 months after we accept your order or at the point that you end the service – whichever is the earlier. But if you keep the service for at least 12 months from the date that we accept your order, we’ll waive that payment. If you end the service within 12 months of us accepting your order, we’ll waive part of the
    payment, but you’ll still have to pay up to £65.00 (depending on model supplied) towards the full cost of your BT Home Hub. Existing BT Broadband customers requesting a replacement hub may be supplied with a reconditioned hub.A reconditioned hub is one which has been reconditioned to an "asnew”standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new hub.
    Edited by: "MikeT" 30th Jan

i never paid the bumbags rip off bt
    Edited by moderator: "Jan 30, 2017 08:32" 30th Jan

I cancelled my contract with them last December. I cancelled 30 days before the last day of my contract following 9 months fighting them over a BB issue and was told by them that all was OK, "Sorry to see you go.....". Received the "A new supplier has told us that you are Moving, therefore we will accept that as notice you are leaving. Moved to my new provider no problems.
    Come last week and I get a bill from BT for the next 3 months!!!

Now in a S*** fight with them over getting my money back. Promised a letter by last Friday and nothing. Shysters!!!

getmeone

I cancelled my contract with them last December. I cancelled 30 days … I cancelled my contract with them last December. I cancelled 30 days before the last day of my contract following 9 months fighting them over a BB issue and was told by them that all was OK, "Sorry to see you go.....". Received the "A new supplier has told us that you are Moving, therefore we will accept that as notice you are leaving. Moved to my new provider no problems.Come last week and I get a bill from BT for the next 3 months!!!Now in a S*** fight with them over getting my money back. Promised a letter by last Friday and nothing. Shysters!!!

​Cancel your dd

You state you are "ending my broadband and phone line package after a year." Are you ending either of the contract package items early, even one day early? If so and if the text quoted in post #4 was applicable to when you signed up, then it would appear the charge is correct as stated.

Rich069

​Cancel your dd

Cancelling a DD does not remove an obligation to pay any fee a service provider initially believes is legitimate, but will likely result in detrimental payment performance being reported to credit reference agencies.

If you call them they will send you pre-paid return packaging. Easy solution.

getmeone

I cancelled my contract with them last December. I cancelled 30 days … I cancelled my contract with them last December. I cancelled 30 days before the last day of my contract following 9 months fighting them over a BB issue and was told by them that all was OK, "Sorry to see you go.....". Received the "A new supplier has told us that you are Moving, therefore we will accept that as notice you are leaving. Moved to my new provider no problems.Come last week and I get a bill from BT for the next 3 months!!!Now in a S*** fight with them over getting my money back. Promised a letter by last Friday and nothing. Shysters!!!

You are charged 3 months in advance. The invoice would have been produced before your services were ceased, When the other provider takes over your services that will close down your BT account and anything you were charged in advance will be credited back, so don't panic.

robertr

If you call them they will send you pre-paid return packaging. Easy … If you call them they will send you pre-paid return packaging. Easy solution.

You misinterpret. Returning the router by any means does not remove what OP is indicating as BT intending to enforce a contractual obligation to pay for the router.

The same happened to me when I cancelled my BT contract.
    When the contract started, BT messed up the connection date, so we were connected two weeks late. BT tried to argue that because we weren't connected to broadband for the first two weeks, we had not fulfilled the full 12 month contract.

I pointed out to them that they accepted the order over 12 months before I cancelled it.
    The terms and conditions state that the 12 months starts from when BT accepts your order with them.

They refunded me after a month or so.

It might help other people that are in a similar situation.

Edited by: "jonboy32" 30th Jan

I'm just swapping to Virgin Media and I hate the fact I have to pay £31 for an Openreach engineer a disconnection cost. BT is just an abusive cash cow and I'll be flashing that HH5 with openwrt unless it's type B and I'll be leaving it be

Original Poster

yep it appears I misread when when the contract ends and subsequently have ended it 2 days early.

AndyRoyd

Cancelling a DD does not remove an obligation to pay any fee a service … Cancelling a DD does not remove an obligation to pay any fee a service provider initially believes is legitimate, but will likely result in detrimental payment performance being reported to credit reference agencies.

​But they dont get your money, and if they are in any error, whatever they have reported must be then be taken back.

Broxy

yep it appears I misread when when the contract ends and subsequently … yep it appears I misread when when the contract ends and subsequently have ended it 2 days early.

The 12 months starts from when they accept your order, not from when you get connected.
    You should get a refund of the router charge if you quote their wording on the terms and conditions.

jonboy32

The 12 months starts from when they accept your order, not from when you … The 12 months starts from when they accept your order, not from when you get connected.You should get a refund of the router charge if you quote their wording on the terms and conditions.

Another technical point is that if you have been charged any early termination of service(s) fee, payment of that fee effectively completes the contract as if the contractual chargeable service(s) had naturally ended. i.e. you have discharged your contractual obligation and no other fees may apply. However, the "date of order" route is probably earlier to utilise!

Rich069

​But they dont get your money, and if they are in any error, whatever t … ​But they dont get your money, and if they are in any error, whatever they have reported must be then be taken back.

"must be taken back"? Lol. The only obligation the CRAs have is to consider providing you with a few lines of explanatory text that is ignored by automated systems when it comes to assessing subsequent credit applications. In the meantime your score is dented, you're dodging collection agents, bombarding the ombudsman and threatening to take the supplier to court? Yeah, cancel that DD.

Broxy

yep it appears I misread when when the contract ends and subsequently … yep it appears I misread when when the contract ends and subsequently have ended it 2 days early.

In your sorry to see you leave letter, it would of stated you would of been charged for the equipment, you would then of had the option to amend the start date on the new provider and avoid the charge.

jonboy32

The 12 months starts from when they accept your order, not from when you … The 12 months starts from when they accept your order, not from when you get connected.You should get a refund of the router charge if you quote their wording on the terms and conditions.

That's incorrect, the contract starts from the date they provide the service, which makes perfect sense as you would of joined with a discount, hardly fair being discounted for something you can't recieve during the 10 days a takeover takes, otherwise your last 10 days in contract would be at full price, which you wouldn't be happy paying, would you ?

Broxy

jonboy32

I'm sorry, but in this case you're incorrect.
    If you read their terms and conditions regarding the payment of the router, it clearly says from the date we accept your order, not the date the service starts.

Broxy

jonboy32

No. Revisit the t&c, the key phrase is precisely clear and repetitive (so not an error). Key phrase = "12 months after we accept your order". The formal start date of the contractual services is qualified in another t&c para but is irrelevant to the key phrase that consistently refers to date of order acceptance.
    "...you’ll normally have to pay the full price either 12 months after we accept your order or at the point that you end the service – whichever is the earlier. But if you keep the service for at least 12 months from the date that we accept your order, we’ll waive that payment. If you end the service within 12 months of us accepting your order...,
    productsandservices.bt.com/con…tml

jonboy32

I'm sorry, but in this case you're incorrect.If you read their terms and … I'm sorry, but in this case you're incorrect.If you read their terms and conditions regarding the payment of the router, it clearly says from the date we accept your order, not the date the service starts.

*Edit*
    Then I suppose it comes down to when BT class an order as accepted, after being placed it will fall under 'in progress' before it completes i would of thought, is completed also accepted or is accepted when submitted ?
    Edited by: "PKRichie" 30th Jan

From the terms page :

When the service starts
    The service starts on the date we activate it (service start date). If we have to visit to install the service, it will be activated after the installation is complete. You will usually need to take any service option for a minimum period – normally 12 or 18 months. The minimum period for each service option is set out in the Tariff Guide. This minimum period also begins on the service start date.

That's the service terms and conditions, not the payment of the router terms and conditions.

PKRichie

From the terms page :When the service startsThe service starts on the … From the terms page :When the service startsThe service starts on the date we activate it (service start date). If we have to visit to install the service, it will be activated after the installation is complete. You will usually need to take any service option for a minimum period – normally 12 or 18 months. The minimum period for each service option is set out in the Tariff Guide. This minimum period also begins on the service start date.

It's all terms though, they start on the day the service is activated/provided, you can't use the hub until the service is activated/provided and it doesn't get delivered until 1 working day before the service starts, you're not charged for the service until it's activated/provided.

So if the OP left after 363 days service then the charge would apply, it would also of been in the 'Another person is taken over your line, if this was you we'll take this as notification you want to leave, if not then get in touch before midday on the day before'
    It would also of said something along the lines if 'as you haven't had the service for the minimum duration you'll have to pay a charge, we estimate that at £55'

All the OP had to do was delay the takeover by 2 days and save £55

My order was accepted about 3 weeks before my service started.
    That (for me) was when the 12 months started as far as the router charge goes.

I ended my contract before the 12 months was up.
    I think it was a few days, maybe a week too early. I had to pay an extra charge on top for the remaining few days of the service contract, but I got refunded the router charge, as I cancelled more than 12 months after the order was accepted.

I don't know why you are finding it so hard to understand that there are different terms for the service contract and the router payment contract.

They double charged me and expected me to chase them to get the money back, so when I changed service I kept the router and the freeview box, they sent pre-pay packaging for me to post it back but I didn't and they haven't chased.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware22
      2. How are Very for pre-orders ?67
      3. No claims discount proof - Help needed66
      4. Are the free antivirus any good?11

See more discussions