BT to cut 13,000 jobs and quit London HQ to cut costs

Found 10th May
BT has sadly announced it is due cut 13,000 jobs over three years, which is about 12% of its workforce

Around two-thirds of the job cuts will come from the UK workforce, and the rest will be from staff it employs internationally to slash costs.

It will mostly be back office and middle management roles cut, and the company is also said to me moving out of its existing central London headquarters and into smaller premises.

“This is probably the most significant transformation we have made in the last 10 years,” said Gavin Patterson, the chief executive of BT. “We need to do this to be competitive in the future. If we are compared with our peers we are frankly too complex and overweight. While I recognise the pain, ultimately it is the right thing to do for the business.”

It's not all doom and gloom though, as BT have said they would be hiring about 6,000 staff mostly in customer service and engineering. (though this is a small amount in comparison to the losses)

Source
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
'.... If we are compared with our peers we are frankly too complex and overweight.'

No Mr Patterson. With your continued ownership (and Directorial control) of Openreach, BT is a monopoly that prevents swift, ubiquitous adoption of new technology. With the Govt Broadband money you diverted into BT Sport, you are quite simply shameless fraudsters.
15 Comments
The break-even point of a BT TV sports customer was at nearly £31.80/month. They're nowhere near those figures.
I was offered a network engineering apprenticeship with them a couple years ago, feeling rather relieved I turned it down at the time, although the job cuts are mostly office based it appears.

Couldn't afford the pay cut for up to 3 years depending how long it took to qualify.
And the prices won't go up,not!!
'.... If we are compared with our peers we are frankly too complex and overweight.'

No Mr Patterson. With your continued ownership (and Directorial control) of Openreach, BT is a monopoly that prevents swift, ubiquitous adoption of new technology. With the Govt Broadband money you diverted into BT Sport, you are quite simply shameless fraudsters.
Here is the slow decline of BT in the comijng decade, this earnings per share strategy, "BT said it would hold the dividend unchanged for last year and the next two years, given the outlook for earnings and cashflow, but added that it remained committed to a long-term policy of growing the dividend."
Bet they wont be making any job cuts in the indian call centres!!
If they didn't keep throwing billions at BT Sport they probably wouldn't be in this sort of position. Having said that, some big companies making multiple billions still love cutting staff in big numbers.
dunc36010th May

I was offered a network engineering apprenticeship with them a couple …I was offered a network engineering apprenticeship with them a couple years ago, feeling rather relieved I turned it down at the time, although the job cuts are mostly office based it appears.Couldn't afford the pay cut for up to 3 years depending how long it took to qualify.

That seems a shame - The engineering division is taking no cuts at all. In fact, they're hiring extra staff into engineering. The Apprenticeship really is top notch, definitely one of the best in the UK with fantastic perks from the get go.

From what I've heard from friends who have come out of the other side of the apprenticeship, salary will be around 40k. All that with no degree necessary is fantastic!
delboyd15 h, 37 m ago

That seems a shame - The engineering division is taking no cuts at all. In …That seems a shame - The engineering division is taking no cuts at all. In fact, they're hiring extra staff into engineering. The Apprenticeship really is top notch, definitely one of the best in the UK with fantastic perks from the get go. From what I've heard from friends who have come out of the other side of the apprenticeship, salary will be around 40k. All that with no degree necessary is fantastic!

I agree that is a good salary but I was quoted 21-28k once qualified after the apprenticeship ends which is up to 3 years depending how quickly you burn through the course during which the salary would be 14k. Couldn't justify it as I'm already near the top end of the qualified salary range and have a house to keep running
dunc3601 h, 50 m ago

I agree that is a good salary but I was quoted 21-28k once qualified after …I agree that is a good salary but I was quoted 21-28k once qualified after the apprenticeship ends which is up to 3 years depending how quickly you burn through the course during which the salary would be 14k. Couldn't justify it as I'm already near the top end of the qualified salary range and have a house to keep running

Wow fair enough, that's definitely rough. No brainer to avoid it, then.
m5rcc10th May

The break-even point of a BT TV sports customer was at nearly …The break-even point of a BT TV sports customer was at nearly £31.80/month. They're nowhere near those figures.

£31.80 is laughable if the required monthly spend for BT Sport alone. Currently on 24 month deal paying £7 per month for Unlimited Infinity 1 Broadband, plus £2.50 for the Essential TV package which I have to take in order to get the BT Sport Pack for £1.75. All in, it is £11.25 per month and pay the line rental annually.
Saturn1 h, 22 m ago

£31.80 is laughable if the required monthly spend for BT Sport alone. …£31.80 is laughable if the required monthly spend for BT Sport alone. Currently on 24 month deal paying £7 per month for Unlimited Infinity 1 Broadband, plus £2.50 for the Essential TV package which I have to take in order to get the BT Sport Pack for £1.75. All in, it is £11.25 per month and pay the line rental annually.

And how much is that line rental/mth?
m5rcc13th May

And how much is that line rental/mth?

Just under £210 annually, so circa £17.50 per month. Did you mean to state £31.80 overall spend rather than BT TV sports specifically?
Saturn13 h, 41 m ago

Just under £210 annually, so circa £17.50 per month. Did you mean to state …Just under £210 annually, so circa £17.50 per month. Did you mean to state £31.80 overall spend rather than BT TV sports specifically?

It was from a research piece from Saeed Baradar of Louis Capital. He wrote some time ago when BT was first at trouble after buying the rights that the break-even point of a BT TV sports customer was at nearly £31.80/month. I suspect that includes internet and line rental.
So I'm not sure why you are saying 'They're nowhere near those figures' then. Even based on heavily subsidised offers for new customers, they are already at and well above an average monthly figure of £31.80 if you are including broadband and landline rental. Achieving that figure for an average customer spend on sport alone is laughable, based on current offering and prices, but £31.80 including the other elements you now mention is entirely reasonable as evidenced by the link below. I think you may have become confused along the way with your figures and research.

productsandservices.bt.com/bro…=ds
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants